Pricing help needed ...

Old August 27th 03, 08:19 PM
Deirdre S.

Default Pricing help needed ...

This message is directed to Eclectic Beadery members in particular,
but also to anyone else willing to offer suggestions.

I have uploaded a few pictures of new work to my picturetrail site at:

http://www.picturetrail.come/dsand

The last folder on the page is full of stuff I propose to make my
first offerings on Eclectic Beadery, but I am at a loss to know how to
price it. Some things, like the eyeglass leash, have cheap components,
but take a couple of hours to make. Some have expensive components
(like ocean jasper) and took approximately an hour to design and make.

The peyote cuff bracelets take 2.5 - 3 hours to make and finish...

The hammered copper necklace was something I worked on and put aside,
worked on and put aside, tried something and wasn't satisfied, took it
apart and tried something else. So estimating the time involved on
that one is a muddle.

How do I find a workable cocktail that combines 'what went into
materials', 'how long it took', 'how much skill is involved' plus the
ineffable 'design factor', which relates to how dramatic or unusual or
fashionable it is, or whatever the heck else goes into its market
appeal?

I am a beginner in search of experienced marketing advice...

H E L P ! please...

Deirdre
Old August 28th 03, 12:04 AM
Diana Curtis

I can help with one thing.. the url doesnt work!
You link tease.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 28th 03, 01:42 AM
Diana Curtis

I dont know a thing about pricing but may I offer an oooh..and ahhhh over
the hammered copper?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Deirdre S." wrote in message
Well, duh!

Try this instead:

http://www.picturetrail.com/dsand

Deirdre

Old August 28th 03, 06:06 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
Deirdre S. wrote:

[...]

Darn it, I couldn't get the link to work!

Well, anyway, I was going to say that *I* try to make about $30/hr (NOT
VERY AMBITIOUS, I know!) after all's said and done, including the time I
spend cleaning, listing, packing, shipping, and of course purchasing new
materials. I feel that if, after all that, I still make $30/hr, about
40% covers expenses (taxes, electricity, equipment, raw goods, etc) and
the rest is mine.

Theoretically.

So that would make your cuffs worth about $90 to you. Next, try to find
a similar product and see what it's selling for, to find out whether
your $90 is reasonable for the market. Right now, I find that my $30/hr
is a pipe dream, but I do have hopes for it picking up.

--
-Kalera

---------

Regime change in 2004!
Old August 28th 03, 06:44 AM
Jalynne

OOOH, i love the jasper necklaces. I sure wish i could help with the pricing as
well...I'll be lurking around to see others' answers so that I can learn a thing or
two.

--
Jalynne

Old August 28th 03, 01:56 PM
Diana Curtis

I take it one must beat the copper into submission?
Di

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Deirdre S." wrote in message
Thanks! I both fought and had fun with that one.

I'd have an easier time of a similar design the next time around, I
suspect, because of what I learned about the behavior of the stuff in
the process of doing this one.

Deirdre

Old August 28th 03, 02:13 PM
Karen_AZ

I take it one must beat the copper into submission?

You don't HAVE to...it's just a whole lot more fun. ;-) (Nice effect, too)

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 28th 03, 05:03 PM
Deirdre S.

I fear that in most venues, even $10/hr may not be realistic for seed
bead work...

But $30 is a lovely thought. From your mouth to the marketing gods'
ears...

Deirdre

Old August 28th 03, 05:30 PM
Deirdre S.

At least into work-hardenedness...

Deirdre

Old August 28th 03, 05:39 PM
Deirdre S.

Thanks ...

grinning I seem to be getting lots of positive feedback about the
designs. I hope that means they are salable... at some price or
another.

Deirdre

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:14:18 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

I don't have any pricing advice, I'm awful at pricing jewelry, but WOW those
are gorgeous! I especially love the ocean jasper.

OT Help needed with spammer Deborah Beads 0 August 27th 03 01:11 AM
OT ~ Firewall help needed! bluemaxx Beads 7 August 14th 03 12:45 AM
More good thoughts needed saucy Beads 3 August 8th 03 10:18 PM
Good Luck Vibes needed please Beadbimbo Beads 5 August 3rd 03 04:27 PM
OT sort of - web graphics needed, trade for beads? Kandice Seeber Beads 6 July 12th 03 10:52 PM