Long-arm quilters list

Old May 23rd 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Long-arm quilters list

Ok, I know I would love to have a list of long-arm quilters in our
group, and I have seen that some of you others would like to have it
too. I would be willing to collect the information and organize a
list.

However, I am going to need some time to get a recognizable form
together. I would like to get a little bit of input on the information
we would like to have. So far I think:

Name
RCTQ name
Address
Phone
email addy
Web Addy
specializations (patterns, free-style quilting, etc.)

Let me know what you all think, and I'll have DH help me put together a
webform to enter the information!

Dannielle

Old May 23rd 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you Dannielle

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

ps.com...

Old May 23rd 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I don't mean to sound like a pessimist... but I would include at least 2 non-family recommendations
(or at least have people prepared to provide them confidentially). While we all chat very nicely --
sending your quilt for somebody to quilt is a significant investment. We all have different
standards of what is acceptable -- and before I would send something to be done... I would want to
talk to a few people who have used that long arm quilter.. and probably have seen pictures of
her/his work as well.

Kate in MI

ps.com...

Old May 23rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I will probably make the statements that this list is created purely
off of information given via the newsgroup, no experience myself with
any of them, no affiliation....so on and so on. However, I would
expect the individuals requesting service to do their normal
investigation/questioning just as if they have entered a storefront of
someone they have never met.

I don't think you are sounding pessimistic at all. It should always be
a buyer beware (or at least buyer educate thyself) before any
transaction, any time, any place.....

Thanks for the good input Kate!!!

Dannielle

Old May 23rd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Great idea! I will definitely do that!

Dannielle

Old May 23rd 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Kate G." wrote in message
I don't mean to sound like a pessimist... but I would include at least 2
non-family recommendations (or at least have people prepared to provide
them confidentially). While we all chat very nicely -- sending your quilt
for somebody to quilt is a significant investment. We all have different
standards of what is acceptable -- and before I would send something to be
done... I would want to talk to a few people who have used that long arm
quilter.. and probably have seen pictures of her/his work as well.

No, you're not a pessimist -- seeing pictures of previous work (or better
yet, actual samples) is ALWAYS a good idea when hiring a quilter. Piecers A
& B might be thrilled to death with Quilter X, but if what's important to
them isn't what's important to you, you won't be happy.

It's just as important that you see examples of work similar to what you
want done. Different quilters do different things well -- for example, I do
lots of freeform stuff pretty competently (if I do say so myself), but if
you're expecting precise, symmetrical, marked feathers, I'm not the right
quilter for you. Unfortunately, lots of longarmers think they need to do
each and every quilt they are asked to do, and aren't confident enough to
tell someone when the desired quilting style is not a good match for their
talents, so it's up to the piecer to determine that. (Yeah, my aunt is still
tweaked at me for refusing to do clamshells on her quilt. But she would have
been even more tweaked if I'd done them. LOL)

And before all you out there get excited, I don't want to be on the list nor
am I soliciting business. I don't like mail order work at all. Puts knots in
my stomach. Please don't email begging me to do your quilt. Thanks for
understanding.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 23rd 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...

It's me again.... I'd make it easy on yourself and narrow the feilds.
Name, RCTQ Name, email, Web address if you have it and do you machine or
hand quilt. That way you will not be responsible for people's personal
information or anything that directly results from it being listed on
the web. They can hand out more as they feel comfortable, and less
liability all around......

Having their state/country might help folks. Just a thought...

Old May 23rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ok, so well narrow down to the state, but not put in anything like a
street address. Since you are all on the newsgroups, I am going to
assume that you have email addresses. Would you prefer that to a
telephone number? Or would you prefer to have the option of chosing
telephone vs. email?

Dannielle

Old May 23rd 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

yeah!!!! thank you! when you get it up send me the link so i can put it
in the FAQs

Kellie

"Boca Jan" poo_de_doo at removeyahoo.com wrote in message
Thank you Dannielle

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/poo_de_doo/my_photos

ps.com...

Old May 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You might want to just make it a list of people who do quilting for
hire. There might be some here who do quilting on a regular machine,
either with or without a frame, and of course hand quilters. G So then
include a section for "equipment used" or such.

Pati, in Phx