Sock links!

Old April 17th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Sock links!

Here's a bunch of free sock patterns:
(also links to OTHER things to make with Opal - or - for that matter, ANY
'sock' yarn!)

http://www.ptyarn.com/freepatterns.html

And, if you've contemplated toe up socks, but have trouble with the figure
8 cast-on, here's a GREAT tutorial:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html

HTH,
Hugs,
Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.

Old April 18th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Some pretty ones there Noreen, thnx for posting, I rarely use a pattern
now, just spin up the yarn, and using dpns cast on 50 sts, knit 1x1 rib for
1.05 ins or for a ladies turnback cuff I do about three inches, then knit in
any pattern plain or fancy down to the heel flap, and take 14 stitch from
first and last needle, and put any remaining stitches on the middle needle,
then knit the 28stitches back and forth on two needles in either slip one
knit one second row slip one purl rib or any fancy pattern, then do the
heel shaping by knitting across the stitches to last 9stitches, knit two tog
turn slip one, purl to last 9stitches, turn, knit to the last stitch which
is the former knit two together, and knit this and the next stitch together
turn and do the same purlwise, back and forth til all stiches are done and
right side is facing you, it may mean leaving one stitch on the end of the
needle, pick up as many stitches as you can down the instep, usually between
18 and 20stitches, on one needle, using another needles knit across instep
stitches,(following pattern if you are doing one) now using another needle,
pick up and knit the other instep to match first side, AND also five
stitches from heel, slip remaining five or six stitches onto the first
instep needle and continue knitting the round, next and alt round knit down
first instep stitches and knit last two together, across top of foot
stitches, then on the other upward instep stitches knit two together knit
the rest of the stitches, and next round knit...these two rounds repeated
til 12stitches remain on each side instep stitches...then knit rounds until
piece is two inches shorter than the foot intended for, shape toe by every
alt row knitting two together at the beginning and end of first top of foot
round, and beginning of next needle and end of the next needle..knitting one
round inbetween, til 8 stitches remain on top front and four on the two back
or bottom of foot stitches remain, slip these four stitches onto the other
needle with four stitches, so that you now have two needles with 8stitches
on, and kitchener stitch them closed, pattern easier on web than trying to
explain, weave in end and find first cast on end and weave that in, and any
added colour ends you've used if you've changed colours, now knit another
one to match..
hugz cher

Old April 19th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Noreen, I just LOVE some of the patterns on the first link you gave! Thanx
for posting it for us! It's saved to my favorites, and I think I'll revisit
when it's getting closer to "gifting season!" )

Cher, you've inspired me to just "wing it" ... or perhaps that would be
flying UNDER your wing!! Your directions are great, and I think I'll find
some odd yarn around and give it a try.

Thanx to ya both! Smiles,
Eve )