Sort of OT - Building a Teaching Studio: Input Wanted

Old December 9th 04, 04:31 PM
Tinkster

Default Sort of OT - Building a Teaching Studio: Input Wanted

I posted this on WetCanvas, but wanted to get input from you guys,
too!

Donna, John and I are looking at making a big leap, and we could use
your help! We're planning on putting together a teaching studio where
we could offer classes in flameworking, glass blowing using a crucible
kiln, electroforming, sandblasting, casting, fusing, slumping,
riveted/cored beads and other cool things like flameworking
sleepovers.

Donna has a fabulous building on her property, which is where her
studio is located. It's HUGE and wonderful! We would like some input
from you guys regarding what you've liked and disliked about places
where you've taken classes before. NO NAMES, PLEASE, as far as
negative comments! I don't want this to end up as a cranky thread! If
there was a studio you really liked being at, do feel free to share
that positive information here. But facility bashing is a no-no.

We are very excited about this, and want to do it right. I love to
teach, and have to admit that it's even more rewarding to me than my
day to day work. Helping someone figure out a technique with which
they have struggled is SO fulfilling! There's usually a lot of
laughing, jumping for joy and happy dancing in my classes. LOL! Being
able to teach what I want, when I want and on MY terms is very
appealing to me.

Donna has extensive glass experience and brings to the table her
casting, slumping and fusing skills, along with her flameworking
experience.

John is an experienced flameworker and off hand glassblower. He is an
extraordinary teacher, particularly with beginners.

I'll start.

I don't like parking finished work in vermiculite. I think students
should be able to go directly into a kiln, especially with things like
sculptural work and vessels.

I've taken classes and taught at places where I didn't feel safe
outside the facility. Don't like that.

I love when a studio provides lunch! It saves time so you can get more
done, plus I think it's great for camerarderie.

I like it when a studio has a variety of torches.

I think studios should provide all the glass people want/need and
include that in the price of the class.

I'm sure I'll think of more. Your turn.

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old December 9th 04, 05:16 PM
Sjpolyclay

great thread....

lets see---I like LOTS of light, workspace that you don't have to put things
away or move them---at one retreat, we have our tables facing each other so
there's a "tablemate" plus we all walk around to other tables....and plenty of
room between spaces is needed for safe movement.

Those BIG coffepots with good coffee and teas, and some healthy munchies AWAY
from all the work stuff, because people always get so enthused at some point
they forget to hit one of the meals and the low blood sugar hits....so handy
food is good. and speaking of food, meals there are a very group-building thing
plus a way of ensuring everybody stays on a time frame, at least loosely, and
focused on the work place. (Having been the Kitchen Manager on some week-long
musical instruction retreats, I can testify from both sides of the counter, its
a good thing!) Also have all the needed safety and medical/emergency stuff in
place...first aid kits, more fire extinguishers than you could possibly
need....all that stuff.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old December 9th 04, 06:47 PM
Beadseeker

I have only limited experience in taking fusing classes. Two were
introductory where we used pre-cut glass pieces. That was a good beginning,
but the class was not well organized as far as planning something for the
"down" time while the kilns fired.
The third class I took was a one on one open studio class where I learned how
to cut glass, etc. I loved this class although the quarters were extremely
cramped.
I think I would like a studio which offered intermediate fusing classes -
maybe cutting of intricate shapes, slumping small objects like candle holders,
etc. I'd also like to learn pate de verre, and take another sandblasting class.

I would like the classes to be limited in number of people or have the studio
give the option of taking private lessons. I would also like plenty of space
between the tables, and limit the lampworking and fusing to different days,
unless the studio is so large that you could use separate parts of the
building. Of course, not everyone is as paranoid about open flames as I am, so
it might not be a problem for others.
There are very few fusing classes available in my area, and the ones that are
offered are introductory.
Just my two cents, don't throw glass!
Patti
www.pattiwhiteley.com
Old December 9th 04, 07:07 PM
Marisa Cappetta

I approached this questionn from an administrative, health and safety angle.

If the building belongs to Donna, who isthen is the public liability
insurance holder? Donna as the owner/lessor of the building or you as the
business owner? Or is it a joint venture? In the event of injury, damage to
property or (heaven forbid) death, who is responsible? Relationships can
sour and the residual legal entanglement can last for years if such issues
are not dealt with from the outset.

I like to see the safety rules sign posted in a high risk studio.

Is there a bathroom attached to the building? If not, is Donna ok with
unkown persons going through her home?

In terms of food service, do you have to have any sort of licence or health
inspection.

In AU and NZ there are various government bodies who can advise on the
health and safety matters. A chat to your insurance company might be a good
idea.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
www.galleryvittoria.com

Old December 9th 04, 07:39 PM
Tinkster

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:07:33 +1300, Marisa Cappetta
wrote:

I approached this questionn from an administrative, health and safety angle.

Excellent :-)

If the building belongs to Donna, who isthen is the public liability
insurance holder? Donna as the owner/lessor of the building or you as the
business owner? Or is it a joint venture? In the event of injury, damage to
property or (heaven forbid) death, who is responsible? Relationships can
sour and the residual legal entanglement can last for years if such issues
are not dealt with from the outset.

Black Swamp Glassworks, LLC or Frogtown Glass, LLC would be the
holder of the liability insurance.

I like to see the safety rules sign posted in a high risk studio.

This is a great idea! There are always safety handouts whenever I
teach, but I love the idea of a nice, large sign too.

Is there a bathroom attached to the building? If not, is Donna ok with
unkown persons going through her home?

There is a bathroom in the building.

In terms of food service, do you have to have any sort of licence or health
inspection.

Good question, though I'm not so sure it would be much different than
having people over for a cookout. And even if it were, it might be
covered under the liability policy.

In AU and NZ there are various government bodies who can advise on the
health and safety matters. A chat to your insurance company might be a good
idea.

We're already on it: Insurance broker, Small Business Administration
and other are in the loop.

Old December 9th 04, 08:15 PM
Sjpolyclay

have to have any sort of licence or health
inspection.

Good question, though I'm not so sure it would be much different than
having people over for a cookout.

Tink, I had a state licensed kitchen for several years in Ohio---baked cookies
muffins and bread out of the kitchen and sold them in coffee shops and health
food stores. Licensing is not hard--state inspector comes, and there are
certain things, like cleanliness and no animals in the kitchen....but its not
bad.

Old December 9th 04, 08:33 PM
Diana Curtis

Ive never taken a class for .. well.. anything. So, I offer this for what
its worth. Could you somehow get a scholarship fund set up for beginners who
you feel are promising? I realize you cant afford to teach for free.. at
least not often, and given the caliber of the teachers involved perhaps you
could talk patrons of the arts into donating to a fund that would give you
the option of taking a diamond in the rough and helping them to reach their
full potential.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
news

Old December 9th 04, 09:01 PM
Tinkster

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:33:23 -0600, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

Ive never taken a class for .. well.. anything. So, I offer this for what
its worth. Could you somehow get a scholarship fund set up for beginners who
you feel are promising? I realize you cant afford to teach for free.. at
least not often, and given the caliber of the teachers involved perhaps you
could talk patrons of the arts into donating to a fund that would give you
the option of taking a diamond in the rough and helping them to reach their
full potential.
Diana

I truly LOVE this idea! There have been a handful of students that
I've taught that I felt showed exceptional promise, and it would be
great to be able to help them along. This is a wonderful idea, Diana!
Thank you!

Old December 9th 04, 10:32 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Here are things that come to mind, just offhand:

Comfortable work chairs/stool with good lumbar support and a couple that are
sized to accommodate a wider tush.

Good ventilation and heating/cooling if necessary.

Adequate light - the more natural the better.

A clean bathroom - this is a big thing for me.

Good sightline between student and teacher workstations.

For areas where you'll stand a lot, some of those industrial anti-stress
mats.

And lastly...when/where do I sign up? :-)

barbara

Old December 9th 04, 11:33 PM
Tinkster

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:32:13 -0500, "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
wrote:

Here are things that come to mind, just offhand:

Comfortable work chairs/stool with good lumbar support and a couple that are
sized to accommodate a wider tush.

Good ventilation and heating/cooling if necessary.

Adequate light - the more natural the better.

A clean bathroom - this is a big thing for me.

Good sightline between student and teacher workstations.

For areas where you'll stand a lot, some of those industrial anti-stress
mats.

And lastly...when/where do I sign up? :-)

Excellent suggestions! Especially the last one ;-P

You can bet we'll let folks know when we're ready to go!