How in the world ?

Old September 20th 04, 05:59 PM
scott

Default How in the world ?

Hello girls and 1 or 2 men. How in the world do they sell these beads so
cheap? /pouting now
http://beadazzled.meridian1.net/defa...&NID=179846 4

Scott

Old September 20th 04, 06:00 PM
Jalynne

Those look mass produced, Scott. Anyone else have an opinion?
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old September 20th 04, 06:33 PM
Diana Curtis

I have lots of opinions... some of them having to do with beads even. My
first thought was mass produced... possibly not annealed in a kiln since it
doesnt say that they are... unless I missed that..
Diana
--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.
nk.net...

"scott" wrote in message

Hello girls and 1 or 2 men. How in the world do they sell these beads so
cheap? /pouting now

http://beadazzled.meridian1.net/defa...ID=757728&NID=
1798464

Scott

Old September 20th 04, 06:35 PM
Mj

handmade in India, probably by child hand labor. Un-annealed, guaranteed to
break within a very short time. Welcome to the world of Wal-Mart-type "We
insist on the cheapest goods at the cheapest prices" commerce.

Mj
(who's feeling pretty testy this morning)
--
=================================
Marjean Cline

Old September 20th 04, 06:35 PM
Karen_AZ

They're mass produced, usually in China or India. Think sweatshops.

KarenK

Old September 20th 04, 06:51 PM
scott

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
They're mass produced, usually in China or India. Think sweatshops.

KarenK

Well they may be full of lead for all we know. I won an auction and had told
the guy I was thinking about getting into Lampworking and he sent me 2 web
links to look at. I had been all happy thinking I could sell a bead for 5
dollars from time to time and when I saw that 10 cent a bead or was or 10
cent for 10 my heart sunk. Seems like they would have to use slave labor. I
or we will just have to look at the good side of it. People need to see poor
beads before they can appreciate great beads. They may be great beads and I
will have to eat my words. If they are not made with love, they are
worthless. /smiles

Old September 20th 04, 06:55 PM
starlia

It said on her home page that she uses handmade lampwork and furnace glass.
I could see that some of the lampwork could be handmade by this person but
most looked like furnace glass. If she is a lampworker she would probably
be a beginner.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 20th 04, 07:03 PM
Su/Cutworks

Scott wrote:

Hello girls and 1 or 2 men. How in the world do they sell these beads so
cheap? /pouting now

http://beadazzled.meridian1.net/defa...&NID=179846 4

They say handmade but not by whom, or where.

Some of these sort of beads come from sources where handmade means made by
hands of little kids or people paid no wage.

-Su

Old September 20th 04, 07:03 PM
Su/Cutworks

Starlia wrote:

It said on her home page that she uses handmade lampwork and furnace

glass.
I could see that some of the lampwork could be handmade by this person but
most looked like furnace glass. If she is a lampworker she would probably
be a beginner.

She says " I do not make my own beads,but I buy them from some of the most
talented bead artists all over the country"

Which country, she does not say.

-Su