Ot about colors

Old January 25th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Old Houses WAS Ot about colors

I don`t think of my house as old, but it is early 1960s, and I am seeing
retro colours and accessories from its `new` period--and I am very tempted.
I mean, it even has a wall outlet at the top of the stairs for one of those
big starburst clocks.
Dawne

Old January 25th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Ours is 29 yrs old, and it totally looked 29 years old when we purchased it
in September. Let's see, my daughter's room had bright BRIGHT
orange-with-yellow-threaded-through-it shag carpet (2" crap that was almost
blinding to look at). Our room had brown and white shag carpet (only 1/2-1"
long or so in this room), and the living room had long (2 1/2" perhaps?)
white shag carpet. OH but the best? There was a large square piece cut out
of the living room carpet- why? The mom had spilled milk and couldn't get
the stink out so she just hacked it out and put a piece of dark green (low
pile!) carpet down to cover the hole. Oh and let's not forget the just
plain ugly patterned hallway and backentry way carpet, and the computer
room - which is a blue and purple variation of the stuff in the hallway.

The strangest part? The carpet was actually in 1/2 decent shape (excluding
the piece missing in the living room LOL) - however it totally creeped me
out so we ripped out everything ourselves and had new carpet put in our
bedrooms. There is nice laminate now in our living room and hallway.
Eventually we'll replace that with hardwood (when there are no children
running around on it

What a work in progress! Doing most of the work ourselves has definitely
saved a ton of $$ (that and the new furnace, woodstove etc. saved us $$ on
oil) We also had a home inspection done, which was worth its weight in
gold - they are definitely worth the money you spend on them. We also got an
Energy Efficiency test done and plan on doing retro-fits to improve our
home's efficiency while renovating. I told DH we aren't going anywhere for
the next 40 years; it will take that long to get everything finished

Sarah

Old January 25th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

sunflower wrote:
There is nice laminate now in our living room and hallway.
Eventually we'll replace that with hardwood (when there are no children
running around on it

Hardwood floors really hold up to a lot of abuse. A lot more than you
might think. They aren't delicate, and are extremely easy to keep clean.

Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old January 25th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
sunflower wrote:

There is nice laminate now in our living room and hallway. Eventually
we'll replace that with hardwood (when there are no children running
around on it

Hardwood floors really hold up to a lot of abuse. A lot more than you
might think. They aren't delicate, and are extremely easy to keep clean.

I'll second that. Other than dragging something heavy and sharp across
one (which would damage almost any flooring other than perhaps stone) or
using certain chemicals on one, there isn't much that will hurt them.
It's also much better for those of us with indoor allergies.

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles
Old January 25th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

sunflower wrote:
There is nice laminate now in our living room and hallway.
Eventually we'll replace that with hardwood (when there are no children
running around on it

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:55:20 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

Hardwood floors really hold up to a lot of abuse. A lot more than you
might think. They aren't delicate, and are extremely easy to keep clean.

Dianne

We've had this discussion before., some of us are diehard carpet
lovers, and others are in love with hardwood. I couldn't stand the
dust bunnies when we had hardwood, and it was so damn cold underfoot.

A friend of mine put hardwood in her kitchen last Fall. The phone
rang as she was taking a casserole out of the oven, put it on the
burner on the top of the stove forgetting she had the burner on just a
few minutes earlier. She answered the phone and a few minutes later
heard kaboom! The casserole blew up, hot glass ended up all over her
kitchen and damaged the hardwood floor.

In addition to this mess, her 4 yr. old boxer made quite the mess with
his claws on the floor too Mind you, I can only imagine what he
would do to carpet.

....Linda

Old January 25th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Brenda Lewis wrote:
Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

sunflower wrote:

There is nice laminate now in our living room and hallway. Eventually
we'll replace that with hardwood (when there are no children running
around on it

Hardwood floors really hold up to a lot of abuse. A lot more than you
might think. They aren't delicate, and are extremely easy to keep clean.

I'll second that. Other than dragging something heavy and sharp across
one (which would damage almost any flooring other than perhaps stone) or
using certain chemicals on one, there isn't much that will hurt them.
It's also much better for those of us with indoor allergies.

I can't speak to hardwood because I have wide board pine, which isn't
technically hardwood. I love them, but I will say that you can
definitely tell that we have dogs. But that's ok, I wouldn't give up
the dogs or the floors.

Elizabeth (floor guys come for two more rooms on Monday)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 25th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Linda D. wrote:

We've had this discussion before., some of us are diehard carpet
lovers, and others are in love with hardwood. I couldn't stand the
dust bunnies when we had hardwood, and it was so damn cold underfoot.

Yeah, but with carpet, you still have the dustbunnies (or the dust that
produced them), you just don't seem them anymore, so in my case, I
wouldn't clean them up as often.

A friend of mine put hardwood in her kitchen last Fall. The phone
rang as she was taking a casserole out of the oven, put it on the
burner on the top of the stove forgetting she had the burner on just a
few minutes earlier. She answered the phone and a few minutes later
heard kaboom! The casserole blew up, hot glass ended up all over her
kitchen and damaged the hardwood floor.

Woulda damaged carpet too, and she would never have been sure she got
all the glass out. I can't stand the thought of carpet in a kitchen,
though. Wood or tile, yinyl, linoleum, something that can be mopped,
but never carpet. Euuuuyuuuk! Only thing worse is carpet in a bathroom.

In addition to this mess, her 4 yr. old boxer made quite the mess with
his claws on the floor too Mind you, I can only imagine what he
would do to carpet.

Well, yes. My dogs have damaged my floors. On the other hand, when I
had carpet, the cat did a job on it. Can't win, just have to decide
which compromises you can live with. It does help when I keep up with
trimming the dogs' claws.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 25th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Linda D. wrote:

A friend of mine put hardwood in her kitchen last Fall. The phone
rang as she was taking a casserole out of the oven, put it on the
burner on the top of the stove forgetting she had the burner on just a
few minutes earlier. She answered the phone and a few minutes later
heard kaboom! The casserole blew up, hot glass ended up all over her
kitchen and damaged the hardwood floor.

But what would hot glass have done to linoleum?

We had a fridge motor overheat, and the melted linoleum underneath was
not pretty. Thankfully, it was the landlord's problem, but the odor of
melted linoleum permeated the house for a couple days.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: July birthstone, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 25th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
Brenda Lewis wrote:
Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

sunflower wrote:

[...]

I had hardwood floors in my Brooklyn apartment and covered them with carpet
because my 8.5 lb., hyper dog made marks on them with his sharp nails, the
dust bunnies were winning and unless you kept them highly polished and,
therefore, slippery they looked dingy. Even with a floor polisher, I found
it a lot of work.

I lived in a rental apartment and I don't suppose they were the highest
quality wood, but it was too much for me at that time. I think they are
much more attractive than most carpeted areas, but lots of work when you
have a family.

Lucille

Lucille

Old January 25th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dr. Brat wrote:

Elizabeth (floor guys come for two more rooms on Monday)

Send them over here when they're done. The linoleum in the kitchen
(which I never liked) buckled when the dishwasher overflowed, and I want
hardwood in there. Or maybe the thing the neighbors got, looks like
hardwood but isn't. Either way, modern linoleum and a 1905 kitchen
don't look right together.

3rd speech Brian Christiansen Quilting 2 June 24th 05 06:20 PM
peacock colors Julia Altshuler Quilting 27 February 4th 04 04:26 PM
re peacock colors Roberta Zollner Quilting 0 January 27th 04 11:03 AM
Colors NoraBalcer Yarn 4 October 31st 03 02:55 PM
AD: Scrapbooking Products and Partylite Babydi General Crafting 0 August 24th 03 06:30 AM