Cheap batting is awful-arrrgggg

Old May 28th 05, 03:16 AM
Taria

Default Cheap batting is awful-arrrgggg

I have spent 2 days fussing around with the machine that I
do most of my quilting on. The poor thing has been cleaned
within an inch of its life. Threaded a zillion times. Every
configuration of needle/thread/tension/pressure imaginable made.
The thread kept breaking and breaking while free motion MQ'ing.
I spent a lot of time trying to find a burr somewhere too.
DH said try a different quilt. I have been trying to get through a
pile of charity quilt tops and this one had been pinned with
cheap poly batting. That was the problem. When I tried a quilt
sandwiched with a hobbs cotton batt the machine sewed like the day it
was new. Jeez. Hopefully I can get through the stack of small quilts
without a problem now. Anyone tries to pawn off any more of that
cheap poly stuff is not going to get a pleasant response!
It really pays to use quality materials.
Taria, happily stitching again!

Old May 28th 05, 03:26 AM
maryd

Months ago I started quilting one with poly batting..... It's now partially
frog stitched. I've had good luck with Hobbs and will stick with it.

--
Mary
:

Old May 28th 05, 04:51 AM
Mary in Washington

This is great information for my free motion class. Never thought
about it before because I always use Warm and Natural.

I have used poly a couple of times and did not have a problem but I do
like the results either.

Thanks for the info.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa

Old May 29th 05, 03:35 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

Don't know what your problem was with your quilt or your machine but it
wasn't the poly batting. I use it all the time and never had the problem
you discribed. To each his/her own I reckon.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old May 29th 05, 04:29 AM
Taria

Well I usually don't have a problem even when I occasionally
use poly but this was pretty thick and cheap stuff. Some of my
local guild pals are pretty good at making tops and I don't mind
quilting and another friend binds. This batting came with a rogue
top. I have been quilting and sewing a lot today on everything
but this stuff and not a problem. DOn't know what the stuff
was but it was awful and it definitely was the problem.
TAria

Old May 30th 05, 03:46 PM
Marijke

cheap vs more expensive does make a difference for hand quilting, so I
imagine it would be the same for machine.
FWIW, I was using a lower priced poly when I needed to (I prefer cotton
personally), and I would often get frustrated as threads would catch on
my dry skin, etc. Then I tried Hobbs. What a dream poly to use. I'll
never go back to a different one unless I have to.

Marijke
in Montreal

Batting Question? muse9 Quilting 33 July 14th 04 05:20 PM
pre-soaking and drying batting Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 7 July 13th 04 04:00 PM
VERY BAD EXPERIENCE with June Taylor Fusible Batting Lisa Caryl Quilting 24 May 16th 04 02:05 AM
Sturdiest batting CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 12 December 21st 03 11:12 PM
Batting Scraps Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 13 October 11th 03 04:50 PM