OT - Art Poll

Old February 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Deborah

Default OT - Art Poll

Hi,
What non-beady-type artists have touched you deeply and contributed to your
life? Have any of them inspired your overall aesthetic?
Who are your favorite artists in other genres? For example - architects,
photographers, painters, sculptors, musicians?

I know it's hard for me to choose, but some have just touched me in ways no
others have.
Painters - Monet, Raphael, Edward Hopper, da Vinci, Pollock
Sculptors - Calder, Henry Moore, and the Renaissance crowd....
Architects - Gaudi! and Bucky Fuller
Photographers - Cunningham, Eisenstaedt, and Ansel Adams (the ususal
suspects....) oh, and my husband - Mark
Musicians/Singers - Jean Pierre Rampal, operatic tenors, Billie Holiday,
Eric Clapton, Van Morrison and the Wicked Tinkers...lol

and last, but not least, for overall inspiration - Mother Nature

There are more, but I wanted to keep the bandwidth low.

Best,
Deborah

Old February 20th 04, 07:46 PM
Karen_AZ

I'll just steal your lists, thankyouveddymuch!

Actually, a few to add:

Artists: Degas, Jan Steen (Dutch guy, ruthless realism in still life
paintings, right down to flies), Alphonse Mucha, Mary Cassatt, William
Morris, Roycroft studios
Architects: IM Pei, Green & Green, (aw hell, the entire Craftsman/Arts &
Crafts movement), and oh YEAH about Gaudi!
You got the photographers and sculptors
Musicians: Chopin, Liszt, Rossini, Annie Lennox, Heart, Alan Parsons
Project, Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits, all those nice guys who revived swing
music, and Steeleye Span

Old February 20th 04, 08:53 PM
roxan

I love all the artists from the impressionist period. All the great master
of the 15th and 16th. century. There are so many it is hard to list them all
from the Renaissance period.
Bead artists it would have to be Sherry Serafini, Carol Cox Wells, and I
know I have left out a lot of others I can't remember their names.
Roxan

Old February 20th 04, 09:53 PM
Christina Peterson

My grandfather who was self taught, who repaired paintings for the Germans
in WWII, then came to America to work as curator for an art museum in New
York. When he got there, the funds for the jobs had dried up and he went to
SanFrancisco where he spent 35 years working for Shell Oil, mostly parking
cars. However, he collected artists and art work (museum pieces, Durer,
14th century wood cuts, Faberge, presentation dishes using by Russian
royalty, etc), so we grew up with a knowledge of the Great Artists and
musicians, and also knowing many of his local artist friends, like Beniam
Bufano.

My grandmother who collected innovative thinkers. She used to make herself
available to immigrants and had many friend who were inventors and
intellectuals. The daughter f the guy who invented extruded pipe was a
prime mover in Art Therapy. My grandmother also saw my mother through the
publishing of two books before she left high school.

My Aikido instructor, who emphasizes the art and philosophy of martial arts,
instead of the use of violence.

Kosuko Smith, who taught calligraphy at our martial arts retreat, and sells
her calligraphy work internationally (including Asia). She also paints with
oils and acrylics and sells her painting for 5 or 10 thousand dolloars. She
teaches through touch, she is a healer of body and heart.

David Foster who taught art at the junior college in So Lake Tahoe. Another
person who was the very soul and gentleness, but was terrifically strong.
He taught many courses, always drawing out the best efforts of his students.
When I finally saw his own work I was stunned, partly because of his
humility. I loved his classes. He always encouraged me to push my limits
and turn in work that literally filled his requirements, but did something
completely different at the same time.

Frank Nelson, my psychologist who teaches me to see my self correctly and
thereby see everything else more clearly. For, as David Foster told us, the
most important tool or quality an artist can have is eyes that see.

That's a good start. I have been exposed to so much art for such a long
time, that it's not the individual painters or artists, but the people who
opened my eyes who have had the greatist artistic influence on me.

Tina

Old February 21st 04, 01:35 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

I had an art teacher named Bea Robertson who taught at our local library for
free. She always sought to draw out our gifts, not to replicate her own. She
even let (well, encouraged) me to bring my children to class, and she loved
everything they did. One of my favorite pieces was a floral that I had
carefully drawn - probably too tightly - which my son took a red crayon to
while my back was turned. Happily his contribution caused me to end up with
a much looser composition! LOL I took classes from her for several years
before I even saw anything she created. She taught us to how to give and
receive an honest critique - and how to grow. I owe a lot to her, and miss
her, and haven't been able to paint since she died. I think she would have
enjoyed my excursions into jewelry though, especially free-form peyote.

Karleen Page/Vibrant Jewels
Vibrant Jewels Online Bead & Jewelry Store
http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/welcome.htm
JustBead Auctions
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=21770
PayPal Merchant Account
https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=7XJ98L86Z7S2C

Old February 21st 04, 02:17 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:19:38 -0800, "Deborah"
wrote:

Hi,
What non-beady-type artists have touched you deeply and contributed to your
life? Have any of them inspired your overall aesthetic?
Who are your favorite artists in other genres? For example - architects,
photographers, painters, sculptors, musicians?

Georgia O'Keefe, Edna St. Vincent Milay, Degas, Monet,
Van Gogh, Klimt, Josh Groban, Laura Nyro, forget it, there's
too many!

Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future
plans.
Woody Allen
Old February 21st 04, 02:53 AM
Kandice Seeber

That's hard for me, because I often know pieces of art, but don't remember
the artist's name.

I know I love Mother Nature best of all - mostly for her very ordered, yet
sublime art that people sometimes tend to miss. The spiral, which is very
mathematically perfect and appears everywhere. Flowers which come in an
infinite number of colors and textures, and are symmetrical and subtle in
their design. Misty forests which feel soft and glowy in the early evening.
I know I love Vincent Van Gogh. Escher. S. Dali. Da Vinci. I like a lot of
the Rennaisance (?) period - paintings of curvy, goddess-like women. I love
anything slightly gothic or fairy-like, but know no well-known artists'
names.
I know I loved the arcitecture of the cathedrals I saw in Germany when I was
there in high school - as the Berlin wall was being taken down. I was
particularly awestruck by the massive cathedral in Koln - very gothic and
tons of intricate stained glass.
There's so much more, but my mind can't come up with them right now. And as
far as sound goes, I like so many, I can't mention them all here.
However, Dave Matthews Band's "One Sweet World" comes to mind as a definite
favorite.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old February 21st 04, 03:27 AM
Margie

wrote:

What non-beady-type artists have touched you deeply and contributed to your
life?

My daughter.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid2568695

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

Old February 21st 04, 03:56 AM
Debbie B

How adorable

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short
wrote:

What non-beady-type artists have touched you deeply and contributed to

your
life?

My daughter.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid2568695

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

---

Old February 22nd 04, 03:20 AM
Barbara Otterson

What non-beady-type artists have touched you deeply and contributed to your
life?

My daughter.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid2568695

She's adorable! My kids would always run out into the
snow barefoot when they were little. It didn't seem to
bother them in the least. They always came in when they got too
cold.
And the Hat! I love it. I could never take my piano less when
I was little until I had my hat on. It had a long, turquoise
feather sticking out of it. To this day, I still love hats. I have
at least a dozen and am always looking for more!