simply quilts today (tuesday June 22)

Old June 22nd 04, 05:57 PM
Roberta

Default simply quilts today (tuesday June 22)

Did any of you see today's simply quilts??? That lady and her hand quilting
was amazing. I was so Jealous! I want to be able to do that....

What do you hand quilting ladies think of her technique?? Would that $80.00
thimble really make a difference? Would being able to quilt without your
finger bent really be easier? I am just curious - I want to learn to hand
quilt. I have bought several books, looked at tons of online sites and just
can't seem to "get" it.

I am considering taking a class next month at the LQS (which is actually not
local at 45 minutes away) Would I be better off trying one of these
thimbles?

All I can say is wow - I would love to be able to get 14 stitches to the
inch and have them be as perfect at hers

Roberta (in MD)

Old June 22nd 04, 07:17 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I've seen this woman a couple of times; her technique
works for her. g
I don't quilt that way. I esp. don't have that much quilt in the
center of the hoop (I stretch mine fairly tightly, works for me,
I get small stitches which I never count).
$80 thimble? Not likely. Don't need it. But then I've only been
quilting for 30+ years. g The fingers bend as needed, too.

Want to learn? Watch someone handquilt. Go to the shop,
go to a friend, guild meeting, guild member---shoot, come on over,
I'll show you. This is really so simple, handquilting is just...
hand quilting!
At our annual quilt show, we set up a frame and demo handquilting.
I offer "the other side of handquilting." g I don't do that fancy
little
knot where they twist the thread around the needle, I don't do another
little knot when I finish off; I don't use a fancy frame or hoop.
I do what works for me. It's comfortable, fast, fairly accurate.
Sometimes, esp. for child/baby quilts,
I make bigger, sloppier stitches to just get it done!
My bigger, sloppier stitches are still pretty good quilting. g
Because I've been doing this for a lonnnng time, lots of practice,
very little planning or thought.
Our Linda Campbell recommends a little practice session
each time she sits down to quilt; she has her practice piece for
warm-up, then she's ready to get to the real quilting. Good idea.

Necessary tools: a thimble that fits.
While I prefer my ceramic thimbles, I no longer take them
out of the house, so I have a couple of very nice metal ones,
the most expensive cost me $5 last September in Princeton,Ill.
And I must have finger cots now (those little vinyl rolls that
we call "cat condoms" at the quilt shop)--these are great for getting a grip
on the needle. Find them at the lqs, and at office supply stores,
used for counting paper money.
A sharp little pair of scissors (mine are shaped like a stork)
hangs around my neck, always within reach.
The Gütermann & Coats&Clark or Mettler HANDquiltng thread are in the
basket (or tin lunch pail I'm using now), some extra needles-
CHANGE needles often enough to help yourself; needles get dull,
they bend, they tarnish--use a good needle
(I have 9s and 10s because I can *see* them), still called
a "Between" in most quilt shops, also marked simply as "Quilting needles."
I prefer my 12" (14" inch is my second favorite) round, wood hoop.
I have a Jasmine hoop I bought last year; it's a beautiful piece of wood
art,
lovely to look at BUT it's so heavy on the bolt/screw side, it tips and is
uncomfortable to quilt with, so I only take it along for traveling, figuring
it's
sturdy heft makes it better for travel. g
Experiment, find what works for you.

Now, Roberta, stop waiting. You've done the research.
Go see someone quilt, get a Live Person Demo, take the class,
and start handquilting.

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy--time to dig some holes in the flower bed,
move the rose bushes into the sunlight
(another rare, cool day in north Texas summer)

Old June 22nd 04, 07:45 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Roberta" wrote:

Did any of you see today's simply quilts??? That lady and her hand quilting
was amazing. I was so Jealous! I want to be able to do that....

What do you hand quilting ladies think of her technique?? Would that $80.00
thimble really make a difference? Would being able to quilt without your
finger bent really be easier? I am just curious - I want to learn to hand
quilt. I have bought several books, looked at tons of online sites and just
can't seem to "get" it.

I am considering taking a class next month at the LQS (which is actually not
local at 45 minutes away) Would I be better off trying one of these
thimbles?

All I can say is wow - I would love to be able to get 14 stitches to the
inch and have them be as perfect at hers

Roberta (in MD)

I was given one of her thimbles. She makes them in two shapes...one is
very similar to the Roxanne thimble but without the "front heavy" piece
of metal that I don't personally care for in the Roxanne. It's also
longer to keep the first finger joint from bending and thus keep your
hand in a more ergonomic position.

Her second style - the one I have - is like a piece of pipe. Open at
both ends and slides over the first joint, again to keep it straight,
and had dimples along one side. Easier to fit, I suppose, but I find it
ackward. Perhaps with more use it will fill more natural.

I like the deep dimples in her thimbles. They really grab the needle
and I think that needle control makes a big difference in the quality of
stitches. I would venture out on a limb and say that it is key when
making that first stitch and you don't have any fabric helping to hold
the needle and control it from sliding through the layers.

Because I learned to quilt using the old fashioned, traditional rocking
stitch method I have had a hard time with her bending the fabric method.
I think part of this is because I am trying to unlearn a different
technique rather than just trying to learn the new one. But, I do play
with her technique as one of the shops I teach hand quilting at sells
her stuff and has me do a demo of her method as part of my regular hand
quilting class.

Here's my feelings on the thimble. Most important is a good fitting
thimble that allows you to control the needle. Some of my students
achieve that with the dritz $1.49 thimble. Those don't fit my fingers,
but everyones fingers are different shapes. Some students like the
leather ones, others different brands. Try on lots. Cheap, expensive,
whatever. What you want is a snug fit - no falling off, no sliding
around your finger.

Then, you want good dimples (unless it's leather where the needle
"sticks" into the leather and so you don't need dimples) If you're
doing a version of the rocking stitch it's the thimble that maneuvers
the needle - you don't push or grab it with your fingers - so you want
nice control. My current favorite thimble is a cheapie brass one that I
picked up in a shop years ago. It says "England" on the side and the
packaging was a clear plastic bag with only a price tag stuck on ...no
brand no nothing. It has a very deep dip in the top of the thimble and
nice deep dimples. I have since seen them available at Clotilde (yep,
they have a website) for under $3 US. Shipping is more than the
thimble, so you might want to order other things if you order the
thimble to make it worth it.

Lastly..hoops or not and hoop tension. Some quilters love hoops ( I am
one of those) and some dislike them immensely. You may have to try
quilting both ways to determine which style suits you best. If you like
a hoop I find that my students really have to play with tension.
Needleworkers generally put their quilts in too tight to start and can't
rock the needle. Some like it just loose enough to rock the needle a
couple of times and some very loose - nearly like the Thimble lady.
Again, a personal style thing and not a right or wrong...just right or
wrong for the way you like to quilt. But, play with it, because that
could be part of the problem.

I don't think a particular thimble, or thread, or hoop or needle with be
a magic cure for suddenly attaining a perfect stitch. I do think that
for some the fit or dimples of this particular thimble might be best for
some quilters fingers, quilting style etc. For some, the ergonomic
position of this or the Roxanne thimble really matters. For me, it
doesn't. I can quilt either way for a long time without soreness, but
every body is different and you have to go with what works best for
yours. But I don't think there's a one product magically fits all.

I say go for the class. Having someone look at your technique and
suggesting slight modifications to how you are using your hands is
something books and websites just can't do for you.

marcella
Old June 22nd 04, 11:10 PM

I agree with Ragmop and Marcella. I bought the special thimble and video
when it came out (2 years ago?), but had the best luck with a cheapie
thimble with a rim around the top and some personal attention at a
class. I'm still not 'good' but keep trying! Nancycog in MD

Old June 22nd 04, 11:16 PM
DDM

So how do you start and finish off with the thread if you aren't knotting?
I need all the tips that I can get if I ever expect it to become like second
nature to me. g

Dee in LeRoy, NY

m...

Old June 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
I knot the thread in the beginning by
twisting it around & rolling it off my finger, like we were taught when
we first had to sew on buttons and take up hems. g
http://www.ehow.com/how_5841_thread-needle-tie.html
Here's the new "official" knot (the one I don't waste time on):
http://www.moonlightquilters.org/tipquiltersknot.htm

When finishing off the thread, I weave the strand thru' a
couple of stitches or into a seam, then trim; the end disappears,
no knot.

Dee, come over; I'll demo. We'll eat. And quilt. G

Ragmop/Sandy

Old June 23rd 04, 07:19 AM
Sudrlg

Hi Roberta

I don't think their is any magic answer to wonderful stitches. It is largely a
question of practice and experience. If I had the choice of suddenly gaining
an extra year's experience or a lifetime supply of $80 thimbles, I would pick
the experience.
I have been handquilting for 7 years and love doing it. I use an inexpensive
thimble from Joann's - maybe Dritz or Clover - something bubble packed on their
rack. I think they cost under $2. They have rims and deep dimples and they
fit comfortably. I honestly don't believe that a different type of thimble
would make an appreciable difference to me. Also, I do not have any problems
with my hands - something that the makers of designer thimbles claim to remedy.
Maybe if I did, I would be looking around for a different tools and
techniques.
When you say you have trouble 'getting it' I assume you mean the rocking
stitch.
I bet a hands on demonstration in a class will help. Even then - it takes
practice and a while to get used to a thimble - any thimble.
As to the 14 stitches/inch - I don't know - that is an awful lot of stitches -
maybe it even weakens the fabric :-). Even 4 even stitches/inch will give you
a useful and attractive quilt. 6 will be better and 8 will look just fine.
This is not an instant process - but really - it you like doing it, you will be
motivated to continue and over time you will improve and continue to improve.
Don't get discouraged - start small. If you like to set goals, then make them
attainable goals.
As you quilt, you will find what your personal favorites are - thread, needles,
thimbles, etc.
www.amishcountrylanes.com is a site that sells amish quilts. Their quilt
descritions include stitches/inch - they are typically only 6-8. They are
however densely and attractively quilted. They have an interesting page on
quality - click on Judging a Quilt..
Let us know how the class is - what works for you - and what doesn't. Reading
what other quilters have to say is a big part of my own learning experience.
Take care
Deena - in Philly
Old June 23rd 04, 09:03 AM
Roberta Zollner

I really like the thimble with the magnetic top. Dropped my teensy needle on
the paving stones yesterday morning (quilting outdoors under the terrace
roof), and the little magnet was the only way I could get it out of the
crack! Comfy thimble too.
Roberta in D

Old June 23rd 04, 12:58 PM
DDM

That's the knot I make too because I can't usually get the "official" knot
to behave. I've been doing the bury the knot at the end, but it isn't fun
and it isn't always a pretty sight. Didn't know I could do the method you
use, but since someone in the know has time tested it I'll be doing it now
too. I'll bring the chocolate when I come for the demo.

Dee in LeRoy, NY where I saw a PT Cruiser yesterday with flames painted on
the sides. Looked to see if it was Sandy and Wendy out cruising together
checking out the WNY LQSs.