Hardanger software question

Old June 15th 04, 03:51 PM
Robert St. Amant

Default Hardanger software question

My wife does a good bit of hardanger, along with related embroidery
techniques. She's interested in software that would help her design
patterns more easily than with pencil and paper. Can anyone suggest a
software package they've had good results with? Windows or Macintosh
is fine. Thanks!

--
Rob St. Amant
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~stamant
Old June 15th 04, 05:58 PM
Jeanine3

I haven't heard of any software for drawing hardanger but this is an
interesting question. My mom is looking for a maple leaf in satin stitch
(well, she's calling it Hardanger, but I know what she means) and even
though I tell her it would be easy to draw one out, she's been searching
for something already done. If I ever get around to doing one for her, I
would just use a drawing program on the computer. (I have Adobe
Illustrator for the Mac.) At least with that kind of program, once
you've drawn your first shape (ie. a grouping of satin stitch) you can
just copy and paste the group and arrange them on a grid as you like,
quite precisely too.
Don't know if this helps any,
Jeanine in Canada

Old June 15th 04, 06:14 PM
Robert St. Amant

Jeanine3 writes:

I haven't heard of any software for drawing hardanger but this is an
interesting question. My mom is looking for a maple leaf in satin
stitch (well, she's calling it Hardanger, but I know what she means)
and even though I tell her it would be easy to draw one out, she's
been searching for something already done. If I ever get around to
doing one for her, I would just use a drawing program on the
computer. (I have Adobe Illustrator for the Mac.) At least with that
kind of program, once you've drawn your first shape (ie. a grouping of
satin stitch) you can just copy and paste the group and arrange them
on a grid as you like, quite precisely too.
Don't know if this helps any,

That does help, thanks! I'd thought that a general-purpose drawing
program might involve too much work, but perhaps not; I'm not even
patient enough to do the embroidery itself :-).

--
Rob St. Amant
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~stamant
Old June 15th 04, 08:02 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

PatternMaker by HobbyWare
http://www.hobbyware.com/

Allows you to do just what you are talking about and you don't have to
have a grid, the stitches look like real thread, you can copy/paste to
your hearts content.

I just finished designing a Hardanger emb. piece - quite complicated. I
didn't put in the doves eyes (lace stitches), but I could have, since it
comes with a drawing program that allows you to make whatever stitch you
need if one isn't currently available. I've used this feature several
times. Including making a spider web rose for silk ribbon embroidery
over several "blocks".

What I like about this program is the many options available: you can
have a darker/wider grid line or not - and print it differently if you
desire. For instance, if you want to "view" a prominent grid line every
10 blocks, but don't want to print it that way, you have that option.

It's a wonderful program, and its versatility allows you to use the
program for more than cross stitch. I've used it for knitting patterns.

Dianne

Old June 15th 04, 09:21 PM
Jeanine3

Sounds like exactly what Robert's wife is looking for. Unfortunately,
I'm on a Macintosh and PatternMaker doesn't support it. However, I never
thought about looking at my own cross stitch software to do hardanger
patterns... hmmm. I have Stitch Crafts Pro. I'm off to check it out!
Jeanine in Canada

Old June 16th 04, 03:41 AM
Jeanine3

Well, I checked it out. There is a "Satin Stitch" tool which allows you
to draw lines _between_ the grid lines (the "Back Stitch tool" draws
right on the grid lines). That's it though, no symbols for dove's eyes
or anything but if I really wanted to, I could make a DMC colour symbol
represent different fillings and that would be recorded in the
colour/symbol chart which prints with the pattern. The software I own is
called Stitch Crafts Pro for the Macintosh and is available from
Compucrafts (http://www.compucrafts.com/).
HTH someone,
Jeanine in Canada

Old June 16th 04, 02:19 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Sounds like it works for designing your own. Using a color symbol for
doves eyes is a good solution, I would think. It's not as though you're
selling the patterns!

I'm sure those with MACs appreciate knowing this.
Dianne

Old June 16th 04, 05:14 PM
Beth Katz

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
I'm sure those with MACs appreciate knowing this.

Although I'm not sure how well it does hardanger, there
is a Mac (OS 8/9 through 10.3) stitching program called
MacStitch:
http://www.ursasoftware.com/macinfo.htm

It notes toward the bottom of that page:
"Some hardanger stitches now included".

I haven't used it. But there is a demo to try.

It notes that you can create, load, and save motifs.
If the provided hardanger support is not enough, you
could probably do a Kloster motif with backstitches and
then place that rotating as necessary.

If this is a one-time project, using a drawing program
such as AppleWorks may be good enough. Use drawing
rather than painting. Group a set of lines that are
the Klosters.

I'm not affliated with this company, but it sounds good.

--
Beth Katz
Old June 17th 04, 01:14 AM
Jeanine3

I've downloaded the demo, when I get a chance I'll have a peek at it and
see how it compares to the one I've got..
Thanks!
Jeanine in Canada