The Trudy Hughes 9-patch heart quilt

Old September 15th 03, 07:55 AM
MerryStahel

Default The Trudy Hughes 9-patch heart quilt

Okay, next up on my FINISH THE UFO binge is the Trudy Hughes 9-patch hearts
quilt.

I posted a BEFORE photo on the Webshots page, under More Quilts.

I will be adding another 9 patch border (and will have to piece batting under
it, as it was trimmed off!). If I can find the fabric (which I saw in JoAnn's
last week) - I will add another blue flowered fabric border, and possible a
pink one, too.

The task is not monumental - but we'll see how it goes.

Merry G
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old September 15th 03, 08:54 AM
jules

Good luck I am sure you will do wonders with it. It looks delicious already
Merry. BTW watch out for your shoulder. Don't want you out of commission
if it really plays up badly

--
Jules

Old September 15th 03, 03:36 PM
MerryStahel

Jules said:

BTW watch out for your shoulder. Don't want you out of commission
if it really plays up badly

Yeah. I'm thinking if I use my office chair at the right height over there by
the sewing machine, instead of the kitchen chair which is really too low, I may
be able to work without having to deal with a stiff shoulder.

Merry

Old September 15th 03, 07:57 PM
Pat in Virginia

Merry
Adjustable chair is a 'must' for sewing machine work. Worth
allocation of funds for a designated sewing chair. I got a great
one at a consignment store. These are frequent finds in second
hand stores, tag sales, etc. so the cost need not be too high.
Your health and well being are of utmost importance. Scrimp on
something else if necessary! (Like floor mops! LOL)

PAT in VA/USA

Old September 16th 03, 06:05 AM
Nell Reynolds

The only way I can believe anyone could complete such a series of projects
in such a short time is that you must be on some sort of illegal substance.
That can be dangerous, you know.

Nell in Austin and in awe

Old September 16th 03, 06:34 AM
MerryStahel

Nell said:

The only way I can believe anyone could complete such a series of projects
in such a short time is that you must be on some sort of illegal substance.
That can be dangerous, you know.

No, you don't understand - the UFOs are ALL nearly done - they just need
binding, or quilting or one more border and so on.

Like the Seascape quilt. All three circles were completed, and the seagull was
complete. The other two circles simply needed the fabric pieces machine
appliqued down, a process that took about 10 minutes, due to their small size.
Then border, backing, batting and a quick machine go-around and it was done!
Maybe 2 hours total.

The Lotus Blossom quilt needed borders. The medallion was already DONE. So, a
border, backing and batting, and a bit of machine quilting, and it was done!
It took a total of about 1 1/2 hours to finish.

The Lone Star needed one large point attached - the rest of it was already
together. Then I machine appliqued it to a background, then backed, batted and
machine quilted it. That took a little longer, due to its size. I did it over
a period of 3 days.

The color wheel went together in about 30 minutes - the wedges were already
cut, and I simply cut a back, batting and sewed it together, then hand-quilted
the rose. It is only 14 inches square.

Jenny's quilt was also a completed top, just needed back, batting and machine
quilting SITD. Took about 4 hours.

The Mustang quilt was half hand-quilted (already had back and batting). I
simply put a binding on it. Took about an hour.

The 9-patch hearts needs 2, maybe 3 more borders, depending on what I decide to
do there and what I find at Joann's on Saturday. The rest of that quilt, like
the others, has been done for years.

The other thing most people don't know - I moved here 2 years ago, know very
few people as I do not work outside the home. I have a daughter living here,
but she's in college and is home only to sleep most days. DH works long, long
hours.

All day, I have nothing to do except write, or quilt or play online. I am
virtually alone, except for the dogs, for 14-16 hours a day.

No interruptions from family, few phone calls, I make 1 meal a day - dinner -
and usually in the crockpot so it will keep until someone shows up for dinner,
and I rarely go outside the house except once a week or so to run errands.

I LOVE my life, and am glad I have time to do as I wish. And if I wish to
quilt all day for a week - no one cares, they're happy because I'm happy! G

If I had to do any of those quilts from start to finish - that would be a
different story.

In fact, I got the book, WELCOME TO MY CABIN so I can do the Cabin By The Lake
quilt from start to finish, when these UFO's are outta my hair G.

I'll let you know how that goes, too...

Merry

Old September 16th 03, 12:58 PM
Elena

After reading this, I agree with Nell, Merry is ON something! LOL

Actually I think it's wonderful. It always amazes me how much you can get
done, just setting down and doing it without interruptions, without
splitting your concentration with other things, without having to run out in
the middle for more supplies.

In my case, deadlines do help, because I happen to like adrenaline. Closest
I ever came to being addicted to anything other than chocolate. (OT
not-interesting story)

Which reminds me, I need to run get a picture of my work on an appliqué
round robin before I ship it out today.

Elena in Tx