^6 vs ^10 clay?

Old December 20th 03, 04:15 AM
Beowulf

Default ^6 vs ^10 clay?

I am a newbie-- if I want to make dinnerware, mugs, soup bowls, do I need
cone 10 or will cone 6 clay suffice?

Old December 20th 03, 04:23 AM
Dewitt

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:15:26 -0600, Beowulf
wrote:

I am a newbie-- if I want to make dinnerware, mugs, soup bowls, do I need
cone 10 or will cone 6 clay suffice?

Properly fired (i.e. cone 10 clay to cone 10 and cone 6 clay to cone
6), either is fine for dinnerware, etc.

deg
Old December 20th 03, 03:23 PM
Karen Kryzsko

In article ,
Beowulf wrote:

I am a newbie-- if I want to make dinnerware, mugs, soup bowls, do I need
cone 10 or will cone 6 clay suffice?

Read a book. It will be faster than waiting for newsgroup replies.
Old December 20th 03, 04:58 PM
Suzan

I'd like to ask a modified question: what is the lowest cone temp which
gives good durability for objects intended for everyday use. And, with
respect to durability, does the glaze temp also have to be as high?

I've been using only low fire Cone 04 clay and Cone 06 glazes and have found
for table use, they chip easily. But I noticed also that the slip clay for
casting I've been using can be fired from Cone 04 to Cone 5. If I were to
fire to cone 5, would I still get durability with Cone 06 glazes, or do I
need to use higher temp glazes as well?

news

Old December 20th 03, 07:11 PM
Dewitt

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:58:08 GMT, "Suzan"
wrote:

I'd like to ask a modified question: what is the lowest cone temp which
gives good durability for objects intended for everyday use. And, with
respect to durability, does the glaze temp also have to be as high?

I've been using only low fire Cone 04 clay and Cone 06 glazes and have found
for table use, they chip easily. But I noticed also that the slip clay for
casting I've been using can be fired from Cone 04 to Cone 5. If I were to
fire to cone 5, would I still get durability with Cone 06 glazes, or do I
need to use higher temp glazes as well?

Cone 3 is about the lowest that you can fire and get durable
dinnerware, BUT the clay has to be formulated to vitrify properly at
that temperature. There is no way that a clay can be formulated to be
properly vitrified when fired anywhere in the range of cone 04 to cone
5. It probably will be underfired and porous at 04 and overfired and
starting to slump at cone 5.

You might be able to bisque your work at cone 5 and then do a glaze
firing at 06. Glaze application may be difficult because the clay
won't be very porous after being fired to cone 5, but some commercial
processes do bisque fire higher than the glaze firing and it works
fine.

deg
Old December 20th 03, 08:24 PM
Beowulf

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:23:42 +0000, Dewitt wrote:
Properly fired (i.e. cone 10 clay to cone 10 and cone 6 clay to cone
6), either is fine for dinnerware, etc.

Thank you!