A very special gadget

Old November 17th 11, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default A very special gadget

I don't think our Gadget Queen has seen this one and it is pretty close to
'on topic'. Babies need lots of receiving blankets and the ones with a
crocheted or blanket-stitched edge are so special. There's a rotary blade
that makes holes along the edge of a square of nice flannel that are
perfectly spaced and just right for a crochet hook or yarn needle. The
blade is Edge Perfect Blade. I seem to remember that it was right pricey
but surely is saving me from cramped fingers punching around a blanket - not
to mention I don't have to measure, guess or hope about how far away the
next stitch goes.
My own Granny would have really enjoyed one of these. Polly

Old November 17th 11, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Sounds like the perfect gadget for making a blanket for that expected great
grandson! Congratulations!
--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old November 17th 11, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That is nifty Polly. Nancy's notions has them and I found this link:
http://www.edgeperfectblade.com/Docs/Eyelash.pdf
How fun is that?
Thanks! Hope our gadget queen is ok.
Taria

Old November 17th 11, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Mr. Esther's mother made one for every grandbaby and I remember how her old
fingers got stiff and tired from punching a worn, sharp crochet hook to
begin the edge. She would have loved this blade. OTOH, she surely would
have gotten cranky about calling and getting a: punch one for this and
punch two for that and enter the first 74 digits of your prescription number
to talk to a pharmacist. Nope, we don't even want to think about it. Polly

Old November 17th 11, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I want one!

Sunny
dang, gadgets always get me going ...
Old November 17th 11, 06:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

The first time I tried it was a bummer. I read the instructions. I know -
must have been out of my mind but I visit out there from time to time.
Please keep that just between us. I have a reputation to uphold.
The instructions say to run the blade 1/2" from the edge. Yick! That
won't do at all. It forces you to make a stitch (crochet or blanket) that
is 1/2" wide on the swing-over. Ugly. U-g-l-y.
So. Next time I serged the edge of a 36" square (bigger would be okay,
just what I had). Then I put our wonderful ruler on the cutting mat so the
blade would cut just barely inside of the serger's threads. Voila or viola!
Beautiful. and just So perfect. Polly

Old November 17th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Polly Esther" I don't think our Gadget Queen has seen this one and it is
pretty close to
'on topic'. Babies need lots of receiving blankets and the ones with a
crocheted or blanket-stitched edge are so special. There's a rotary blade
that makes holes along the edge of a square of nice flannel that are
perfectly spaced and just right for a crochet hook or yarn needle. The
blade is Edge Perfect Blade. I seem to remember that it was right pricey
but surely is saving me from cramped fingers punching around a blanket -
not to mention I don't have to measure, guess or hope about how far away
the next stitch goes.
My own Granny would have really enjoyed one of these. Polly

Glad you found this time saver to help you make some wonderful blankets for
your new great grandbaby!
Barbara in rainy FL

Old November 18th 11, 07:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna[_7_]

We (Project Linus coordinators) have been buying Skip-Stitch Blades
through our national office for several years. Just looked and here's
the website: http://skipstitch.com/products.htm - where you can order
the blades. My crocheting friends love them!

Donna in Idaho