ON Topic; Stitching with Scouts

Old January 30th 11, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

Default ON Topic; Stitching with Scouts

I had so much fun today! My EGA group, well, some of us, anyway, had
four different "classes" at the local Girl Scout office and had a nice
turn out. From 10 to 12, I did a project with Brownies where we
traced the outline of each girl's hand on a piece of cotton fabric,
the girls stitched along the lines and then I centered the hand in the
hoop, cut off the excess fabric and ran a line of glue along the back
side of the hoop to help hold it together. Three or four girls had
their projects completely finished and ready to hang. Two or three of
them finished the hand and chose to take their piece home to make it
into a pillow and one or two brought their project home for "Mom" to
help them finish. Another EGA member taught various surface stitches
for older girls (Junior Scouts), using a small printed design on a
square of fabric. In the afternoon, one member taught Daisy Scouts
and Brownies how to make Yarn Dolls, while another introduced older
girls (Juniors and beyond) to simple Sashiko projects. The Yarn Dolls
aren't really needlework but they are lots of fun and many of the
girls made two or at least started a second one to finish at home.
One little Daisy Scout has plans to make an entire village. :-))

All of the girls did amazingly well. We re-threaded very few needles
for the younger girls and only had two times when a Brownie carried
her floss around the edge of the hoop instead of coming up on the same
side on which she had gone down. :-)) For my class, we had about 18
or so needles pre-threaded with pink, blue or green floss. As a
Brownie finished one thread, we would just give her a new needle of
whichever color floss she wanted. That way, we spent more time
stitching than threading and knotting. I had forgotten how cute
Brownies can be - and the older Scouts also. :-)) They were all eager
and enthusiastic and we were lucky to have several adult helpers to
assist the girls. We even had the great uncle of one of the girls sit
and watch and assist as needed. :-)

The hand projects are on my Facebook page and, if we're lucky, some of
the pictures may show up in the EGA magazine some time in the
future. :-))

Liz from Humbug
Old February 5th 11, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/29/2011 9:04 PM, Liz from Humbug wrote:
[...]

As an ex- Junior Scout Leader, I can imagine the fun you had. We were
stationed in Scotland at the time, and my Juniors did tings never
thought of here in the US.