Needlework Tips

Old October 18th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joycem

Default Kits, good and bad....was Needlework Tips

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:40:16 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski

In your haste to advertise you had the credits completely wrong,
Dawn(e) did not say she avoided kits.
It's curmudgeons like you that make it difficult to have a fun
conversation. It's curmudgeons like you that have chased away so
many designers and authors of needlework through the years. You're
unrelenting. I hope Dyan keeps it up in spite of your hatefulness.

Dianne

I really fail to see how you can overlook the fact that she bobs up
here solely for her own benefit. I understood that rctmarketplace is
the group for advertising ones wares, and that came about because rctn
did not want ads.
Usenet is one of the few places nowadays where one can read and NOT be
hit by advertising, long may it be so.
I can't say I cared for MLI, she was another who was totally
self-centred, just showed up when she had a new chart on the go but I
don't believe I said a word at the time, didn't have to, plenty of
others did.
So, go on Dianne, tell me which designers and authors of needlework I
have chased away. Your imagination is working overtime, or are you
just feeling spiteful tonight ? I won't say I have always made nice
posts, but chasing designers away ? Give me proof, an old post,
something you recall that I posted - because I am very certain you
can't.

I didn't single you out. I used the term curmudgeon to signify anyone
who has chased away designers, authors, needlework stores. Read our
by-laws. They specifically allow this type of thing. All your sneering
does is make people uncomfortable. You've made your point. You don't
care for it. But it's not disallowed as long as it's helpful to
stitchers. We're tolerant here at RCTN in order to have a rapport with
those who brings us wonderful things.

The mystery writer has been chased out and denigrated (though I think
she's posting again), and any number of others who have livened our
newsgroup through the years.

You do not speak for the group as a whole. Stop demanding that you be
the spokesperson who sets the rules. You aren't. You don't.

Dianne

Living in a place where a needlework store is very far from local, I
really appreciate posts like Dyan's. I don't read the marketplace
group, as I know I would never be able to afford to buy anything there,
so this group is the only place I see new designs, whether by Dyan's
posts, or those of people who give links to designs.

We have definitely lost a great deal of pleasure in this group, and like
Dianne, I believe it's because of the constant carping - and no, I can't
give instances, I don't hold on to unpleasant things.

Like some others, I rarely post, because the unpleasant ones make me
feel I have nothing to say that would counteract them. So I say nothing.

Joyce in RSA.

Old October 18th 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joycem[_2_]

joycem wrote:
Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Sorry, the first post said it hadn't been delivered.

Joyce in RSA.
Old October 18th 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

Joyce can`t you subscribe to some Magazine ? here we can`t find so
many kits like they have in USA , we see more the printed cnvasses and
the threads,,,
mirjam
Old October 18th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Dawne Peterson wrote:
I agree with you on kits, and hey, I agree you are not too sane, as you
appear to want to poke Sheena with a pointed stick, but hey, we love you
anyway

Something else I like is a kitted up accessory pack--I bought this for a
Jeannette Douglas sampler and it saved me endless time and money looking for
specialty threads in colours I would not ordinarily use, and a couple of
good buttons. I also like the way some designers, (Just Nan is one I have
experience with) add a charm to a chart--charms are one thing that most
stashes don't have, and sometimes the right one just makes the design. (Just
thought I would keep the "kits or not kits" discussion going)

Dawne

Now, about the buying charts that supply specialty fiber and bead,
etc. packs -- I'm all over the book on that. If it's just a charm or a
button you have to pay for with the chart, I might go ahead and buy it.
If the specialty stuff is for a chart I am stitching for someone else,
I am on a deadline and I don't particularly like the colours, then I
will likely buy the whole thing. If the included little packet has
fibers or beads in colors I reality like and don't have (identical as
called for or a good substitute), then I am likely to buy the chart
*without* the accessory pack. This gives me a legitimate reason for
more S.E.X. and I can go buy all those new fibers, etc. I do this over
time so, while the cost might be a whole lot more than the original
accessory pack would have been, I will have all those lovely new fibers,
beads, etc. in my stash :-).
I do agree about the specific included charms with charts --
especially Just Nan's. I LOVE her designs and the little charms that
are usually in her designs can be a bear to find! She lives and has her
shop here in Cumming, GA where I live so you'd think my not so LNS would
have *every* charm she calls for but that's not the case!
Another designer I like who will include bits of stuff in an
accessory pack is Thea Dueck (is that correct spelling???). I also love
her designs -- *everything* from Victoria's Sampler -- especially the
ones with some silk ribbon embroidery. I have a lot of ribbon but not
every known color so, when she includes a bit of the ribbon called for,
I don't mind paying the extra price. Unlike most floss, it's
unbelievably difficult to find in stock silk ribbon at either my LNS or
the OLS I frequent. Just about always, it has to be special ordered and
I end up waiting weeks for it.
As for being not too sane, what can I say? Sheena and I haven't had
a good "set to" in ages. Either my "poke" will be ignored or a "nice"
response will be elicited; I might make one additional response and
that'll be it from MOI. I don't argue with Sheena about personal
opinions for more than one or two posts.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 18th 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joycem[_2_]

mirjam wrote:
Joyce can`t you subscribe to some Magazine ? here we can`t find so
many kits like they have in USA , we see more the printed cnvasses and
the threads,,,
mirjam

Stitching magazines from overseas are way beyond my budget, and local
ones don't have the os designers represented. Not that it worries me,
as I probably have more patterns in my stash than I'll ever finish.

I just like looking at what is available when there's an opportunity,
such as a web address or link.

Joyce in RSA.
Old October 18th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 10/18/09 9:27 AM, "Tia Mary" wrote:

Dawne Peterson wrote:
[...]

I agree with you about buying the charms, usually. I like when they're
included. Even some with the fun buttons -the packs are sold separately,
but at the shop we'd frequently bundle them with the chart. WRT thread, I
think for a lot of people that don't have stash of specialty threads, or
aren't sure if they'll like them, or want to invest in a lot of silk, it's a
great way to have them for a project, try them, etc. It may be a higher per
piece kind of price (in terms of $/inch of silk) than buying skeins, but if
you're not ready to start stashing silk, Trebizond, some special metallic,
etc then it's a convenient economy.

I do agree about the specific included charms with charts --
especially Just Nan's. I LOVE her designs and the little charms that
are usually in her designs can be a bear to find! She lives and has her
shop here in Cumming, GA where I live so you'd think my not so LNS would
have *every* charm she calls for but that's not the case!

IIRC some of her charts just come with the charm, most when you order from
the wholesaler you can order a 3-pack of the charms and just attach them,
pricing it all together.

Another designer I like who will include bits of stuff in an
accessory pack is Thea Dueck (is that correct spelling???). I also love
her designs -- *everything* from Victoria's Sampler -- especially the
ones with some silk ribbon embroidery. I have a lot of ribbon but not
every known color so, when she includes a bit of the ribbon called for,
I don't mind paying the extra price. Unlike most floss, it's
unbelievably difficult to find in stock silk ribbon at either my LNS or
the OLS I frequent. Just about always, it has to be special ordered and
I end up waiting weeks for it.

Thea does a fine job with her accessory packs. They can be quite pricey,
but I like that she breaks them up - many of her charts will have multiple
packs - so if you just need the colors, but have a bunch of white silk in
different weights, you can just get the colored thread pack. Or the one
with the beads, etc. The pack descriptions tell you what is in them - which
is helpful.

As for being not too sane, what can I say? Sheena and I haven't had
a good "set to" in ages. Either my "poke" will be ignored or a "nice"
response will be elicited; I might make one additional response and
that'll be it from MOI. I don't argue with Sheena about personal
opinions for more than one or two posts.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)

You just made me grin...such is life at RCTN.

On a totally irrelevant topic - we were at G-Street today, and I got a
closer look at the Bernina quilting frame. It's really, really, tempting -
only if several other things drop into place. They had it set up with a QE
machine instead of the longer necked 830. Worked just fine. Very nice.
And the store manager said she's selling it with a 25% discount minimum.

Ellice

pin tips Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 16 September 1st 08 10:03 PM
Lat week to order popular needlework tips book! [email protected] Marketplace 0 May 9th 06 06:44 PM
tips from these Stella Fenley Yarn 4 March 1st 06 06:16 PM
Any tips? Laura J Yarn 14 May 29th 05 06:40 PM
tips Slgraber Pottery 5 July 15th 03 02:18 PM