OT - Windows Vista

Old November 27th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default OT - Windows Vista

Is it possible to remove Windows Vista from a laptop HP and install Windows
XP? Are we asking for trouble to try it?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old November 27th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i dont know bout removing vista and installing XP.
i do know installing will overwrite any files you keep in
the default folders in windows.
so move all your files first into a new folder with a new
name so nothing has a chance of being overwritten with an
empty default folder....wiping out all your stuff.
nasty bit of works that is.
seems to me other than that it should work fine.
i've had to reinstall XP and learned bout the default
overwrite the hard way.
should be somewhere on the MS website, maybe in forums
there, that'll tell ya if it is straight forward job or
not...and any special things ya need to do for ease of job.
good luck and let us know how it works, eh.
jeanne

"Karen, Queen of Squishies" wrote...

Old November 27th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Why do you want to?

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old November 27th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
grammykathy

On Nov 26, 6:21 pm, "maryd" wrote:
Why do you want to?

--
Maryhttp://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948?vhost=community
"Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote in messagenews:y1J2j.199736$Xa3.29869@attbi_s22...

Is it possible to remove Windows Vista from a laptop HP and install
Windows XP? Are we asking for trouble to try it?

Karen, Queen of Squishies- Hide quoted text -

Mary She is asking for me I got a new laptop and I do not like Vista.
I want my Windows XP back.
Old November 27th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Mary She is asking for me I got a new laptop and I do not like Vista.
I want my Windows XP back.

I sympathise, there are some very frustrating things about windows vista
and I haven't found any redeeming features. The issue with switching
over to XP would be that some features of the laptop might not work
straightforwardly, there would be a very slight chance that there was a
problem with XP that only showed up on that particular type of laptop,
but if that laptop isn't being sold with XP on it, it wouldn't be a high
priority bug to get fixed. Chances are everything would work fine though.

Anne
Old November 27th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

Unless you are having difficulty with programs, you might want to try
using the classic option. That is what my niece did.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:49:54 -0800 (PST), grammykathy
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:21 pm, "maryd" wrote:
Why do you want to?

Old November 27th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I asked my DH about Vista. He is a computer nerd for pay and knows about
these things. Vista is the new way to go and all new computers are being
sold with it. EVERYTHING will be in Vista in a few years, so please try to
get used to it. I have heard many people say they don't like it, but then
again who liked any of the new operating systems when they first came out.
How do you think Microsoft stays in business?

Trying to uninstall Vista and installing XP doesn't sound like a good idea
to me. There are too many operating files that you don't see that could
cause your windows program to never work again if you try to re-create your
computer.

Vista is supposed to be better, but unfortunately XP programs won't run on
it, at least not yet. That spells death for the hundreds of dollars you have
spent on all the nift programs. I am sure they will come out with patches
and upgrades that will solve some of the problems, but who knows what we
will end up with.

I would check with the place you purchased your computer from to see what
they recommend.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old November 27th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

Boca Jan wrote:
I asked my DH about Vista. He is a computer nerd for pay and knows about
these things. Vista is the new way to go and all new computers are being
sold with it. EVERYTHING will be in Vista in a few years, so please try to
get used to it. I have heard many people say they don't like it, but then
again who liked any of the new operating systems when they first came out.

I beg to differ - I really liked XP as an upgrade from earlier Windows
versions and found it well worth upgrading.

OTOH I bought a new laptop for work last spring and kept XP rather than
switching to Vista. I haven't seen anything on Vista that I prefer to
XP, altho it is "prettier". I think there is a lot of resistance to
Vista - which is why MS keeps pushing back the deadline for allowing
PC's to be sold with XP.

How do you think Microsoft stays in business?

But of course!

Trying to uninstall Vista and installing XP doesn't sound like a good idea
to me. There are too many operating files that you don't see that could
cause your windows program to never work again if you try to re-create your
computer.

Vista is supposed to be better, but unfortunately XP programs won't run on
it, at least not yet. That spells death for the hundreds of dollars you have
spent on all the nift programs.

This is another reason I didn't switch!

Old November 27th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
grammykathy

On Nov 27, 10:03 am, John A.
wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:52:40 GMT, John A.

wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:55:10 GMT, "Karen, Queen of Squishies"
hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote:

Is it possible to remove Windows Vista from a laptop HP and install Windows
XP? Are we asking for trouble to try it?

If you have Vista Business or Vista Ultimate you can call Microsoft
and request a "downgrade" disk.

Also check the recovery disk that came with the laptop. Some vendors
include both Vista and XP. It might leave you with a factory-fresh
installation (your files deleted) so make backups on CDs or something.

JA

Ok gonna cry uncle here. I will keep the Vista. The only programs I
have are Carol Doak's quilt CD's and they work fine on here.

Another thing. This laptop did not come with any CD back ups