Large circular needles

Old September 29th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Large circular needles

Hi all,

I have a pattern that calls for #13 24" circular needles. Now I'm in
N.Z. and we use the metric system, so I think that the equivalent is
9mm, 60cm. Trouble is the largest I can find in local shops is 8mm (and
then only in 100cm length). Can anyone suggest a good online source for
needles that sells this size (that will ship to N.Z.)?

I want such a large needle for a felting project (2 strands of 8ply
knitted together) could I get away with the slightly smaller 8mm
needle? I do need to knit in the round do I can't get away with
straight needles (and I can't buy double-pointed in that size either).

Ta,
Morag

Old September 29th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Vintage Purls wrote:
Hi all,

I have a pattern that calls for #13 24" circular needles. Now I'm in
N.Z. and we use the metric system, so I think that the equivalent is
9mm, 60cm. Trouble is the largest I can find in local shops is 8mm (and
then only in 100cm length). Can anyone suggest a good online source for
needles that sells this size (that will ship to N.Z.)?

I want such a large needle for a felting project (2 strands of 8ply
knitted together) could I get away with the slightly smaller 8mm
needle? I do need to knit in the round do I can't get away with
straight needles (and I can't buy double-pointed in that size either).

Check ebay, ebay.uk, ebay.ca... Even though it's a small project you
could look for 80 cm/32" too. I'm not sure many places make shorter
needles that size.

sue
Old September 29th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have a pattern that calls for #13 24" circular needles. Now I'm in
N.Z. and we use the metric system, so I think that the equivalent is
9mm, 60cm. Trouble is the largest I can find in local shops is 8mm (and
then only in 100cm length). Can anyone suggest a good online source for
needles that sells this size (that will ship to N.Z.)?

I'm keen on a Canadian internet company - Elann.com. I've bought a lot of
yarn from them and had good success with their shipping. (NAYY). I just
checked their International shipping info, and here's what it says:

"International orders will be shipped via Canada Post, and shipping and
handling charges will be based on order weight. Our checkout forms are
designed to automatically calculate the weight of your order, and then
display air or surface shipping and handling rates to your country, with or
without insurance, according to your preference.
Allow approximately 2 weeks for air shipping and approximately 6 weeks for
surface shipping."

They price in either US or Canadian Dollars. I looked up Bryspun needles,
and 9mm 24" are $8.57 US plus shipping etc. and having put that pricing
through a conversion program, the price in NZD is $13.14 plus all the
extras. I'm not sure you want to pay that price...... however, they do sell
all kinds of needles.

Go here if you want to have a look at their site and all their delicious
products (laugh):
http://secure.elann.com/frames.asp

Shelagh

Old September 29th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Shillelagh wrote:
They price in either US or Canadian Dollars. I looked up Bryspun needles,
and 9mm 24" are $8.57 US plus shipping etc. and having put that pricing
through a conversion program, the price in NZD is $13.14 plus all the
extras. I'm not sure you want to pay that price...... however, they do sell
all kinds of needles.

Wow, thanks for making that effort for me - much appreciated! The price
isn't too bad, I have to pay close to that to buy smaller sizes in the
shops here. With shipping added things go up a bit, but if I throw some
other stuff into my order I'm sure I can justify it. : )

I love the hats on Elann's front page - fab! I think I'll have to wait
till those patterns come out and add some to my order.

Old September 29th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cats

http://www.styk.com.au/category7_1.htm

Addi's are not cheap but the shop is at least on this side
of the globe
--

Cheryl

:

Old September 29th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 28 Sep 2006 23:09:29 -0700, "Vintage Purls"
spewed forth :

Hi all,

I have a pattern that calls for #13 24" circular needles. Now I'm in
N.Z. and we use the metric system, so I think that the equivalent is
9mm, 60cm. Trouble is the largest I can find in local shops is 8mm (and
then only in 100cm length). Can anyone suggest a good online source for
needles that sells this size (that will ship to N.Z.)?

If you can eke by with a 40cm/16" circular I have a spare you can have
if you'll send me your address. I mean really, does a girl need THREE
9mmx40cm circulars? I think not!

reverse, remove spaces, to email

m o c . h s y f @ y k n i l s

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old September 30th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Wooly wrote:
If you can eke by with a 40cm/16" circular I have a spare you can have
if you'll send me your address. I mean really, does a girl need THREE
9mmx40cm circulars? I think not!

Are you all the nicest people ever?! I'll drop you a line - maybe there
is something I have you may like in return.

Old September 30th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Hi Wooly,

reverse, remove spaces, to email

m o c . h s y f @ y k n i l s

I seem to have got your email address wrong. Is the bit after "@" fysh?

M.

Old September 30th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 29 Sep 2006 17:39:07 -0700, "Vintage Purls"
spewed forth :

Bah, that's a .org address, not a .com one. Sorry, I'm a flake
tonight!

+++++++++++++

Old September 30th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
oups.com...

Wow, thanks for making that effort for me - much appreciated! The price
isn't too bad, I have to pay close to that to buy smaller sizes in the
shops here. With shipping added things go up a bit, but if I throw some
other stuff into my order I'm sure I can justify it. : )

No problem. I know what it's like when you're looking for equipment (grin)

I love the hats on Elann's front page - fab! I think I'll have to wait
till those patterns come out and add some to my order.

Okay - I don't see any hats on their front page. I see a dark haired girl
wearing a voluminous plum coloured cape(?), coat (?). Can you point me
there?

Shelagh