Anyone know ??

Old September 21st 05, 08:15 AM
spinninglilac

That's great Els, thankyou... Now I'll copy that to the back of my weaving
work book...

Cheers....Cher

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article , "spinninglilac"
wrote:

Apparently there used to be words to use when using a Niddy Noddy to

make a
skein...Anyone know it?

cheers.....Cher

I do have that in a book somewhere, but there maybe more than one rhyme
for that.

Hang in there I will have a look, this is from the bookHomespun
handicrafts by Ella Shannon bowles 1931

Here is one Niddy Noddy, Niddy Noddy Two heads with one body

When I'm a grown-up woman,
with my hair up on my head
I'ill sit and sew tell very late
and never go to bed.

and this one is out of Certrude Whiting, Old-time tools and toys of

needlework.

A knitting Rhyme

Where's the cat whose twisted cradle
All the children, young and old,
Have been making-still are making-
will be making-turn and fold,
twist, and slip, and turn, and double,
till the very world is old.

Both books were found at seconds tables in Book City, Toronto, years ago
and both were reissues in the seventies.

Els

Old September 21st 05, 08:17 AM
spinninglilac

There was yet another verse wasn't there, about

In and out the easel

or something......Cher

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. ..

"darinhercules" wrote in message
ups.com...
The one I heard was used, I learned as a nursery rhyme:

All around the mulberry bush,
The monkey chased the weasel,
The monkey thought is was all for fun,
PoP goes the weasel.

Allededly if you did this right, the word POP marked a yard wound.

Our song was

Half a pound of tupperny rice
Half a pound of treacle
That's the way the money goes
POP goes the weasel

Old September 21st 05, 08:19 AM
spinninglilac

splutter....morning cuppa all down my p.j's now....omg crying here....lol

Cher

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry: that should be
All around the COBBLERS bench

Marie and the cats

Old September 21st 05, 09:44 AM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

As far as I recall the second verse goes

Up and down the City Road
In and out the Eagle
That's the way the money goes
Pop goes the weasel

I always thought (don't know where I got it from, my East End Londoner Mum
maybe) that this referred to the City Road in East London, and the Eagle was
the pub, which was where the money went !!
Love Christine

PS just found this website with info

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a116-pop-goes-the-weasel.htm

Very interesting, just goes to show my mum knew a thing or two!!

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
There was yet another verse wasn't there, about

In and out the easel

or something......Cher

. ..

Old September 21st 05, 10:22 AM
David Sky

Here is a list of words, one of which may be the answer to the
original question:

bobbin, card, distaff, spindle

David

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Christine in Kent, Garden of England wrote:

As far as I recall the second verse goes

Up and down the City Road
In and out the Eagle
That's the way the money goes
Pop goes the weasel

I always thought (don't know where I got it from, my East End Londoner Mum
maybe) that this referred to the City Road in East London, and the Eagle was
the pub, which was where the money went !!
Love Christine

PS just found this website with info

http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a116-pop-goes-the-weasel.htm

Very interesting, just goes to show my mum knew a thing or two!!

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
There was yet another verse wasn't there, about

In and out the easel

or something......Cher

. ..

Old September 21st 05, 11:09 AM
B Vaughan

On 20 Sep 2005 20:20:46 -0700, "
wrote:

The way I learned this song was

All around the carpenters bench
The monkey chased the weasel
The monkey thought it was all in fun
POP goes the weasel.

We said "carpenter's bench" also. The third line was different,
though, and I can't remember what it was.

The mulberry bush was used in a different song, "here we go round the
mulberry bush ... [three times] ... so early in the morning. T

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old September 21st 05, 04:33 PM
ILovemyDoggie.

Hang in there I will have a look, this is from the bookHomespun
handicrafts by Ella Shannon bowles 1931
Here is one Niddy Noddy, Niddy Noddy
Two heads with one body
When I'm a grown-up woman, with my hair up on my head
I'll sit and sew tell very late=A0and never go to bed.
So in the poem of Niddy Noddy, it means one stitch.
In knitting. B/c it said two heads in one body, meaning knitting, not
one head, like in crochet. Neat.
Pam-Doggirl3 =A0

Old September 21st 05, 07:52 PM
spinninglilac

ahhhhh but......a niddy noddy has two heads, it's a piece of wood baton,
with off set dowels at each end....the heads...but only one body...
In those days they had to spin their own yarn, or get someone to do it for
them...bet that was a price too..

cheers....Cher

oups.com...

Old September 21st 05, 07:55 PM
spinninglilac

oh this is the way we comb our hair comb our hair comb our hair this is the
way we comb our hair on a cold and frosty morning....lol
All the littleones at nursery schools all in a circle doing the actions lol

Cher

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
news