Story - Granny's Wedding Gown

Old March 4th 04, 06:25 AM
starlia

Default Story - Granny's Wedding Gown

Kathy,

I loved that story. I think it's fitting you winning the second gown. DD
will be thrilled to wear the next generation gown. Have you ever seen the
Hallmark movie the Wedding Dress? If not, try to rent a copy and you'll
know what I'm talking about. A very special dress affects several lives in
this movie.

I couldn't wear my grandmother's gown because she was one of those beauty
queen types with a WOW figure from the 1940's. However, it was passed down
to me and maybe young DD will be able to wear it someday.

I can't wait to see your new creations. It's almost like waiting for the
next Harry Potter book to come out.

Old March 4th 04, 02:57 PM
Debbie B

I love it. What a beautiful story.

My Mom kept hers and we were all hoping to wear it, but we are little round
beach balls (all 4 of us) and she was a svelte little thing. lol

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
When Bob and I became engaged, his mother pulled me aside to show me a
"treasure" she had been saving. As she was getting the fancy box down

from
the top of her closet, she told me that she had always wanted a daughter,

but
with three grown sons, this was unlikely. I had previously mentioned that

my
mother's own wedding dress would never fit me, because my mom is quite

tall
and stick like, and I, well, am not.

Barbara and I carried the heavy box onto her bed, and she began to break

the
seals on it, as if she were uncovering buried treasure. Once the lid was

off
the box, we sorted through layers of tissue paper, now yellowed with age,

and
Barbara started fretting that the box hadn't protected its precious

contents
all these years.(38 years, to be exact)

But all was well. We got to the bottom of the box and found a silk satin
dress, slipper weight (heavy!), in near perfect condition. The dress,
although old fashioned, was lovely, and my mother in law was almost

exactly
my height. (I had learned that wedding gowns can be shortened, and

widened,
but lengthening them doesn't always come out right) However, the dress

was
sincerely grubby, and only fit me from the waist down. Barbara had no
boobage when she married, and that was not the case with me.

I looked up from evaluating the dress in my mind, and saw Barbara at the

edge
of the bed, tears welling up in her eyes, waiting for me to say something

bad
about her beloved gown. At that moment, I decided that it meant enough to

my
future mother in law, that unless it was completely disintegrated, I was
going to wear this gown. I told her that it would be beautiful when it

was
altered. She beamed with joy, because the dress obviously looked as

lovely
to her that day as it did when she was married in it.

I had to track down a museum quality conservator who could alter the gown
without ruining it. (It was 38 years old at the time). I realized that

some
portion nof the train was going to have to be sacrificed to add room in

the
bodice (seven inches of room in the bodice! I was picking rice out of my
cleavage for weeks after the wedding). I found a woman who agreed to take
the gown and alter it, for about $2,000 (in 1986 dollars!), and she was

only
a two hour ride away.

The second saturday of every month for almost a year, my future Mother in

law
and I would drive up to the wedding dress lady for a fitting. The

hoopskirt
and crinoline that had originally gone underneath had turned to dust, as

had
the illusion veil. But the gown was in great shape, except for some lace
trim, and the headpiece was made of waxed orange blossoms, which will be

here
long after mankind has ceased living on Earth. I agreed, for a moderate
additional sum, to have a new veil made of the existing headpiece.

Barbara
and I shopped all over for hoopskirts and crinolines, and were only

partially
successful.

One fitting made everyone laugh: widening the bodice seven inches (17

cm?)
was one thing; dealing with the cleaveage exposed in the newly widened

bodice
was quite another. Not wanting to have men through coins down my bodice,

or
look like a refugee from a Ren Fair Serving Wench Pagent, I insisted on

some
very nice lace. Which I got: alencon lace at $150/yard. Looked lovely,
especially when I covered the bodice and the underskirt of the dress.

The veil was another matter: I had been trying on the gown for weeks and

was
only unhappy that there were no pockets sewn into it. (which got me a back

of
the hand slap from Barbara) But one Saturday the veil was ready, and the
dressmaker put it on while I was wearing the gown. I think I looked

lovely
in the nanosecond before I hit the ground, passed out from the surprise.
When I came to, the dressmaker was laughing: apparrently this happens

quite
often.

My future mother in law and I had but one disagreement about the dress:

it
had a slightly darkened spot over the bustle, at the curve of the waist.

The
dressmaker had tried to remove the stain, or she could cover it with more
lace, or cut that pattern piece out completely, and make a piece with some
other slipper satin that she had. Confused, I asked what on Earth would

make
that stain, and I was so touched when I found out. When Nick, my father

in
law, had his first dance with Barbara, his hands were sweaty. The mark on

the
dress is a handprint. Barbara wanted it gone, because it was messy, and I
stood my ground - I think the handprint makes the dress just that much

more
special.

Well all that was 17 years ago, and my mother in law is now gone. Her/my
wedding gown is wrapped in a pure cotton flat sheet and is residing in my
cedar chest, away from all harm. But one thing it cannot do is grow as

the
subsequent generations get taller.

DD was whining aloud that she would probably never get to wear Granny's
dress, because all the material at the bottom got moved to the boobs. I
pointed out that by the time DD would be using it, the gown would be

darned
old, and may not be salvagable in any case.

Fast Forward to Several Weeks Ago: Our Own Meijana Kitty, Mary, is

getting
married. I have offered to make a headpiece and veil for her. (BTW,

Mary, I
need your head measurements!) I plan to use silver wire, braided with
"Austrian Crystals" and some of those antique wax flowers. However, I

cannot
part with my own wax flowers or my mother in law would return from the

other
side to haunt me. I started checking Ebay.

I noticed a listing for a vintage 1940's wedding gown, and the thumbnail
looked extremely familiar. Looking at the listing, I realized that the

gown
for sale was the twin of my gown, before it was altered. It had quite a

few
bids on it, but all were quite low. I sent the seller an email as to how

care for the dress (Don't dry clean it!), use grated Ivory soap and water

and
lie flat in the bathtub, rinse with a shower, and lie the gown flat to dry

on
a clean cotton sheet. I also put in a snipe bid at $50, and figured if

Fate
decreed, I'd have a second gown, so we would have the fabric to re-do
Granny's gown for DD someday.

I won the auction, the woman wrote back to me and said it had been *her*
mother in law's gown, and that the woman was too ill with Alzheimers to

tell
them anything about it. She daughter in law was ecstatic that the two
dresses will be made into one for the next generation.

The gown arrived today -- the lady included her crinoline and hoops, and a
few little extras. I opened the box in front of DD, telling her it was a
"bead orgy." When she saw that it was the twin of Granny's dress, she
covered her face and cried. "Now all I have to do is find some decent

guy!
And Mama, you you I won't find him at Sterling Middle School."

I laughed right back at her, reminding her that her father is a pretty

decent
guy, and I met him at the locker next to mine at Sterling Middle School.

I hope she'll be a beautiful bride some day. When/If the time comes, I'm

sure
that Granny will be watching the proceedings with tears in her eyes.

Kathy N-V

Obligatory Bead Note: I did find some vintage waxed blossoms for Mary's
headpiece. I just need a few questions answered before I can make it for
her. I'll photograph it, but the pictures won't go online until Mary's

been
the first to see it.

Obligatory Bead Note #2: The Delicas for the Egyptian Arm Cuff arrived
today. I got lustre beads for the stone (turquoise, carnelian and lapis)

and
matte metallic copper for the setting. I managed a half a dozen rows

before
I got too tired, but from what I see, this is going to be gorgeous. A
subtle, classy gorgeous, like a Chanel suit, not a "look at me" gorgeous

like
the kokoshnik. I'm very happy with it so far. (but I am only about 1%

done.
I'll let you know how happy I really am in a few weeks)

---

Old March 4th 04, 03:31 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Oh, Kathy! Wow...that's all I can say.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: penguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com

Old March 4th 04, 04:48 PM
Beadbimbo

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old March 10th 04, 09:42 AM
meijhana

Oh, God....Kathy. I *just* read this!!!

I am *so* honored...and I am so glad that DD will get to be the third
generation in that dress...or dresses!

Mary

--
"Today is not the beginning of what's to come...
It's a new beginning to what already is."

HandcraftedJewelry.com
http://snipurl.com/45w5
check out my store!