Veering off topic - bifocals

Old July 11th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Veering off topic - bifocals

Well, it's official folks, I need bifocals and maybe even a pair of
dedicated stitching glasses.

So - any hint of picking frames for bifocals.

Old July 11th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucretia borgia

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:11:10 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:
X-No-Archive Yes
Well, it's official folks, I need bifocals and maybe even a pair of
dedicated stitching glasses.

So - any hint of picking frames for bifocals.

I won't make any cracks, though you KNOW I am dying to lol I always
pick frames the top of which, mostly follow the line of my eyebrows.
For some reason, that seems to work.
Old July 11th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jul 10, 8:11 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Well, it's official folks, I need bifocals and maybe even a pair of
dedicated stitching glasses.

So - any hint of picking frames for bifocals.

Cheryl,

I had to get bifocals at 17...yes, 17!! I just used regular glasses
frames that looked good on my face. That was half my life ago and the
transitions lenses were more expensive than they needed to be. I
think now, they are more reasonably priced - transition lenses are
basically invisible bifocals, meaning NO line visible to anyone.

SOmehow I managed to outgrow the need for the bifocals, but I think
that my eyes just caught up with both near and far sightedness being
really sucky (as in nearly legally blind without my glasses!!). DH
has regular glasses and reading glasses and that might actually be a
better option. If you don't need the extra strength lenses for
anything other than close-up work, 2 pairs would be more ideal,
IMHO...that way you can keep the stronger glasses with your needlework
in progress and have your regular ones (assuming that you wear glasses
on a regular basis) at all times.

Just my opinion....

Larisa

Old July 11th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Well, it's official folks, I need bifocals and maybe even a pair of
dedicated stitching glasses.

So - any hint of picking frames for bifocals.

I bought an inexpensive, much too large frame for my face, that I had made
into bifocals just for stitching. That way the magnification is on a larger
area on the bottom then it would be with a more fashionable pair and I can
look over it to see distance.

Lucille

Old July 11th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Well, it's official folks, I need bifocals and maybe even a pair of
dedicated stitching glasses.

So - any hint of picking frames for bifocals.

Don't have any tips on choosing frames, except if my lenses could be
ground thin enough, I'd get the no-frame variety.

If it makes you feel any better, I had bifocals when I was 11 or
thereabouts. They were taken away from me when I was 20. I only
recently got them back by begging and pretty much exaggerating how much
close work I do.

I *like* having bifocals. Makes my life easier and my eyes less tired.

--
Lizard Gumbo
aka Elizabeth

http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
Blog: http://effervescentdesigns.com/effdesblog/

Pop the bubbles to reply.
Old July 11th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sharon

On Jul 10, 9:22 pm, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:11:10 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

X-No-Archive Yes

Well, it's official folks, I need bifocals and maybe even a pair of
dedicated stitching glasses.

So - any hint of picking frames for bifocals.

I won't make any cracks, though you KNOW I am dying to lol I always
pick frames the top of which, mostly follow the line of my eyebrows.
For some reason, that seems to work.

Like Groucho Marx????????????? :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

Old July 11th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

When I got my first bifocals I took the advice of the folks who sell
the frames and make the glasses, and have not been disappointed at
all. Over the years I have gone from the HUGE bugeye frames to the
smaller ones -- fashion changes, after all! The key to bifocals that
fit properly is the placement of the change between the upper and
lower parts of the lenses, and they will measure you for that. Get
whatever you like!

As to stitching, I sometimes use plain old reading glasses from the
pharmacy that match the bottom strength numbers on my "real" glasses.
And I always keep a pair of the reading glasses in my purse, in the
car, and in my travel bag! (I figure that if I lose or break my
"real" glasses, I will still be able to read a menu or a map or to
stitch!)

My mother had a special pair of glasses made for her for flying, where
they made the focal point at her hand, which was the same distance
between her face and the aviation maps she put on the passenger seat.
She was so pleased with them she told her friends in the St. Louis
Ninety-Nines chapter, and several of them went to their opthamologists
and had them made, too! Those ladies were the envy of their
competitors on air races.

By the way, when you pick up your new glasses, be sure you have an old
pair with you! Bifocals can take a bit of getting used to, and I
literally fell off the curb when I left the place, and wore the old
pair to drive home!!!!!

Old July 11th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Mary wrote:

My mother had a special pair of glasses made for her for flying, where
they made the focal point at her hand, which was the same distance
between her face and the aviation maps she put on the passenger seat.

For years, I've been going for new glasses carrying a piece of paper
with the distance between my eyes and my computer screen.

I've not been feeling well lately, so have been doing most of my
stitching semi-horizontal, and was having trouble seeing clearly. I was
thinking bifocals were on my horizon, too, but realized that I see to
read the newspaper and the computer just fine. Sure enough, when I held
the stitching that far out, I could see. (Though supine, it's not
particularly comfortable to hold it that far out.) And when I sat up
properly and stitched in my lap as I usually do, that was fine, too.

Soooooooo, when I don't feel well, I'm stitching with my glasses off.
Fortunately, there's not much on TV worth looking at.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 7/8/07 -- A Wife's Prayer (adapted from Erica Michaels)

WIP: Winnie the Pooh & crew for the next baby,
Marbek's Bethany Angel, MLI's The Teacher
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Farmers Market, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old July 11th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Jul 10, 8:11 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Well, it's official folks, I need bifocals and maybe even a pair of
dedicated stitching glasses.

So - any hint of picking frames for bifocals.

Make sure they are sturdy as you will be putting them on and taking
them off quite often.

Donna in Virginia