OT Yerba Mate site

Old November 4th 05, 12:56 AM
NightMist

Default OT Yerba Mate site

I was thinking about getting the yerba mate gift pack from ThinkGeek
for DH for yule.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/6147/
Since it is out of stock I was tooling around the net looking for
other options, though I figure that the price would have to be awfully
good to save me over seperate shipping.
I found this place:
http://www.yerbamatecafe.biz
OK it is love at first site (sic), but can I trust them?
Ah, the eternal questions surrounding new love!
Has anybody ever heard of this place? Perhaps ordered from them?
Did your uncle's cousins's girlfriend's brother Bob get ripped off by
them? Does your Aunt Mergatroide think they are the most awesome
South American beverage store in the entire state of Georgia?

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old November 4th 05, 01:23 AM
Roberta

NightMist wrote:
I was thinking about getting the yerba mate gift pack from ThinkGeek
for DH for yule.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/6147/
Since it is out of stock I was tooling around the net looking for
other options, though I figure that the price would have to be awfully
good to save me over seperate shipping.
I found this place:
http://www.yerbamatecafe.biz
OK it is love at first site (sic), but can I trust them?
Ah, the eternal questions surrounding new love!
Has anybody ever heard of this place? Perhaps ordered from them?
Did your uncle's cousins's girlfriend's brother Bob get ripped off by
them? Does your Aunt Mergatroide think they are the most awesome
South American beverage store in the entire state of Georgia?

NightMist

never heard of the place - never heard of the drink....It sounds
interesting lol. It actually sounds as if it's good once you get used
to the taste. (not to different from coffee and alcohol in that respect)
I do have one question though...what on earth is the bombilla?? It
looks like some sort of weird straw. Does it have a specific purpose?

Roberta (in VA)
Old November 4th 05, 01:28 AM
marbles_2

I don't know.... you've introduced a whole new world to me!! (What's
with that weird bombilla straw thingy?? Can you make any kind of loose
leaf tea and then skip the strainer?? Interesting......)

As with any weird new and unknown place, if you use your Visa card, I
think you have some protections if they don't follow through.

Now I have to look in my local tea shop for this strange new
experience....

Annie

Old November 4th 05, 01:43 AM
teleflora

"NightMist" wrote in message

I was thinking about getting the yerba mate gift pack from ThinkGeek
for DH for yule.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/6147/

Ummm, kind of looks like a bong, dontchathink?

Cindy

Old November 4th 05, 01:54 AM
Roberta

Roberta wrote:
NightMist wrote:

[...]

Ok now I am more confused...I went back to the thinkgeek.com site and
see that it's almost like a pipe??? Is it a drink? a pipe? What the
heck!!! lol

you just have to fill us in!!

Roberta (in VA)
Old November 4th 05, 02:26 AM
Patti S

Heck - now I wish I had an Aunt Mergatroide so I could reply
intelligently!

:-)
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old November 4th 05, 05:49 AM
Donna in Idaho

Just found this on another website:

The dictionary of the Spanish Academy defines the word bombilla as: "thin
tube that is used to suck the maté in America, it has about twenty
centimeters long and half a centimeter of diameter and the end of the tube
where the liquid is introduced is almond-like full of little holes, so that
the infusion passes but not the dried leaves (yerba) of the maté. There are
also bombillas made of silver or gold. The Paraguayan Indian called it at
the beginning, in his language (Guaraní) "tacuapí".
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old November 4th 05, 01:20 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

[ yerba mate ]
I do have one question though...what on earth is the bombilla?? It
looks like some sort of weird straw. Does it have a specific purpose?

I've got one. I like mate, and knew that was what Argentinians used
to drink it with, so when I found one in the big Glasgow flea market
(the Barras) I bought it. It looks cool but it's probably the least
useul implement I own. It's a silver tube with a silver tea strainer
on the end - the idea is you suck the mate up through it and it
filters the leaves out. The problem is that silver is a fantastic
heat conductor, so unless you let the mate get nearly cold (when it
will taste disgusting) it burns your lips.

Argentinian cowboys also smoke cigarettes with the lighted end inside
their mouths so they don't blow out in the wind.

Old November 4th 05, 01:56 PM
NightMist

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:54:02 -0500, Roberta
wrote:

Roberta wrote:

never heard of the place - never heard of the drink....It sounds
interesting lol. It actually sounds as if it's good once you get used
to the taste. (not to different from coffee and alcohol in that respect)
I do have one question though...what on earth is the bombilla?? It
looks like some sort of weird straw. Does it have a specific purpose?

Ok now I am more confused...I went back to the thinkgeek.com site and
see that it's almost like a pipe??? Is it a drink? a pipe? What the
heck!!! lol

you just have to fill us in!!

OK, what you are seeing in the picture is a gourd with a straw in it.
I guess it does sort of resemble a bong or a pipe (G), but it's not.

The bombilla is indeed a straw, a straw with a built in tea strainer.
Cool yes?
Traditionally mate is drunk out of a gourd with a bombilla.
There are almost as many traditions attached to drinking mate as there
are drinking tea, and as much fuss with properly prepareing your gourd
for use as there is in properly in prepareing a new iron skillet.
These days you can get a gourd made out of everything from a, well a
gourd, to silver or gold and everything in between.

Yerba mate itself is an infusion from the leaves of a south american
evergreen tree. Very high in caffiene as compared to other teas.
Very tasty too, if you have ever been a Celestial Seasonings fan yerba
mate is the main ingredient in their Morning Thunder tea.

NightMist
Old November 4th 05, 02:09 PM
NightMist

On 3 Nov 2005 17:28:50 -0800, "marbles_2"
wrote:

I don't know.... you've introduced a whole new world to me!! (What's
with that weird bombilla straw thingy?? Can you make any kind of loose
leaf tea and then skip the strainer?? Interesting......)

I don't see why not.

As with any weird new and unknown place, if you use your Visa card, I
think you have some protections if they don't follow through.

Ah now there is the thing, I don't do credit cards. Never have.
This is why I always ask around my more heavily populated groups to
see if I can get references, I always pay by money order. On the up
side if I get ripped off that way it is not just sad, it is a felony.
Plus it is almost as fast as a credit card.
I was more worried about lousy service.

Now I have to look in my local tea shop for this strange new
experience....

If you don't have problems with caffine I highly recomend it.
The taste of mate varies just as any tea does with where it was grown
and how it was dried.

NightMist