Quick crochet hook question

Old May 31st 05, 03:06 AM
Cozit/Liz

Default Quick crochet hook question

*Is* there such a thing as a "0" crochet hook? I've got a "00" and then
up from there as the size goes down in numbers... and up in size in
letters... but I don't own a "0".

Just trying to figure it out before I waste time going shopping again
(not to mention being tempted by other things :-) and I can't seem to
figure it out on the web.

Thanks!
-Liz
Old May 31st 05, 03:34 AM
Cozit/Liz

Wow, you're fast! Thanks! And I *just* finally remembered about.com
(which didn't come up on the google search... go figure).

Yeah, there's a "0" for US also. Problem is that even for that one
size, there are several different measurements.

Using #10 crochet cotton. Looking at the 00 I have, it looks like I
wouldn't really want to go any bigger than it is... and the pattern
doesn't give a mm sizing.

Guess I'll just try with what I have and see if it works. Project's
very small (about 2 1/2 doily, basically), so I won't be wasting much
time if it's completely wrong.

Silly things I volunteer to do for friends :-)
-Liz

Tara D wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:06:50 -0400, Cozit/Liz
wrote:

*Is* there such a thing as a "0" crochet hook? I've got a "00" and then
up from there as the size goes down in numbers... and up in size in
letters... but I don't own a "0".

Just trying to figure it out before I waste time going shopping again
(not to mention being tempted by other things :-) and I can't seem to
figure it out on the web.

Thanks!
-Liz

UK sizing there is. What type of yarn does it recommend?

Tara

Old May 31st 05, 01:19 PM
Sue W

Hi Liz,

I'd try with a 1.5mm hook for no.10 thread, it would be a good starting
point anyway.

Sue

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Old June 1st 05, 04:21 AM
Cozit/Liz

Surprised me, but looking at the charts, a 0 is actually bigger than a
00 (just like with knitting needles).

I ended up doing the pattern size bigger, and the extra row is enough to
make them fit... hopefully not too big, though.

Thanks!
-Liz

Tara D wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:34:48 -0400, Cozit/Liz
wrote:

Using #10 crochet cotton. Looking at the 00 I have, it looks like I
wouldn't really want to go any bigger than it is... and the pattern
doesn't give a mm sizing.

0 is smaller than the 00, but not by that much. Since it's a doily, I
wouldn't go through the hassle of trying to find the other size. You
won't be out by much, and it's prolly negligable.

Tara

Old June 1st 05, 04:24 AM
Cozit/Liz

Actually, I found a couple of websites off of about.com's site... and
the letters go down to A, then to 0, 00, 1, 2 etc... decreasing in size.

Tricky part is that different brands have different sized sizes... or
rather the mm size isn't the same letter/number between brands. It's
worse for the steels than the yarn hooks.

Think I figured out something that works with the 00 I have. Good
thing, because Michaels sells neither 0 nor A... and my LNS is just far
enough away that I won't be able to get there until next Tuesday at the
earliest.

Thanks!
-Liz

Old June 1st 05, 04:26 AM
Cozit/Liz

The *other* problem I was having is that my 00 doesn't have a mm
measurement on it... and is an older Susan Bates. Ah, well... I fussed
with it a bit, and it's working. My 00 is having no problem with the
#10 at all.

-Liz (who is now getting tempted to follow my grandmother's example of
this winter and get out a smaller hook and thread... but I'm trying to
restrain for now... until I actually have *time* to make a lacy pretty)

crochet hook size ElastiGirl Yarn 6 May 8th 05 05:52 PM
Just A Quick Question Regarding.... Brian D Yarn 13 April 22nd 05 09:54 PM
More questions (was A quick question) Steve Lamb Beads 3 March 18th 04 08:25 AM
A quick question Steve Lamb Beads 42 March 14th 04 06:18 PM
Coats crochet nylon - Question Allaya Diep Yarn 3 August 30th 03 12:42 AM