Problem: Chenille is knitting up on the bias

Old December 25th 03, 06:21 PM
Vivien

Default Problem: Chenille is knitting up on the bias

Please help. I am a novice knitter that has acquired a cotton chenille
yarn which is ribbon/tape-like, that knits up biased and gets much
worse after washing. Should I:

1. abandon current pattern and knit a plain yoke sweater that spirals
upward.
2. attempt to "treat" the yarn by wetting and hanging to dry with
weights. (idea from a book)
3. wash it roughly to get it completely biased and then knit with the
yarn (or will it just get worse and worse?)

Yes, I can return the yarn, but I do so love the wonderful soft feel
of the knitted fabric.

All suggestions welcome. Thank you.
Old December 25th 03, 06:36 PM
Katherine

Sorry I can't help you, Vivien. I also have some lovely chenille and I am
half afraid to work with it.
Welcome to RCTY. I hope someone can help you.
Katherine

om...

Old December 25th 03, 08:21 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Sorry I can't help you, Vivien. I also have some lovely chenille and I am
half afraid to work with it.
Welcome to RCTY. I hope someone can help you.
Katherine

Tricky chenille....

I have found when I am weaving with it to not take in account the furry
part of the yarn but work with it as if you are only working with the
core. This may also work for knitting. Make some samples and use finer
needles and see what happens.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 27th 03, 06:58 AM
Coggie

I find crocheting with it is easier . I have never wet it and only
wash it by hand as it tends to shed it's fur if you do it in the
washer ( kids found this out the hard way ) .
For knitting I have tried with it , I use a large needle and a loose
stitch of knit with few purls . It has always come out straight for me
, but I hardly pull on it and make sure my tension is steady.
Coggie

Destashing Rachel Gasperson Needlework 4 June 16th 20 03:00 AM
FS: Vogue Knitting Magazines, Starmore book, Fashion Knitting magazines, Anna Magazines marilyn safier Marketplace 0 April 15th 04 07:21 PM
FS: two Vogue Knitting on the Go books, and numerous knitting leaflets, Brand new condition! marilyn safier Marketplace 0 April 11th 04 11:52 PM
A knitting design query! Needlework 8 March 20th 04 10:35 AM
Stabilizing buttonholes in bias top Franfogel Sewing 5 February 16th 04 05:44 PM