OT Breast Cancer Rant

Old August 8th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Default OT Breast Cancer Rant

Hello All

Well, I am on a rant today, let me tell you. A former student of mine, whom
I think very highly of, is at home this evening caring for his mother who
had a complete left breast mastectomy today. That is not even half of what
irritates me. She arrived at the hospital at 6:00 am and was discharged at
12:30 pm. 6 1/2 HOURS LATER!!!!!!!!!! What are insurance companies and
Doctors thinking? Obviously not about the patient. Is this the norm?
Please tell me it isn't. I did find this link for a petition to back a bill
before congress.

http://www.lifetimetv.com/breastcanc...gnpetition.php

I have went to it and so has Bert. I am sure that most of you have already
been to such a site already. I am simply outraged over this. I'll probably
email my three congressional delegates but doubt if anything will come of
it. All three are under investigation for corruption.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Steve
Alaska

Old August 8th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That is totally appalling, Steve.
I have never heard of such a terrible neglect of a patient. Though
there are two friends of mine on this group who had similar extremely
short hospital stays - though not within one day, and not after the same
operation, but they were both major operations.
I do hope your friend's mother does OK.
..
In message , steve
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Steve:

Well the time for cancer patients stays are getting even shorter than
the past few years.

In 1994 a patient's stay was 6 days, 2002 the stay was about 22 hours
then the patient would be dumped in a wheelchair out in the hot sun
to wait for a bus.

Your friend's mother was treated as an outpatient and that is a real
shame. The price for a nurse to come to the home of the patient will
be the same as a physician. It truely is a sad day when an insurance
companies runs the surgical suite and not the doctors.

I will gladly sign your petition.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old August 8th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

That's inhumane... off to the site right now.

--
Debi

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Old August 8th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack[_2_]

Well, when signing the petition, I entered a few comments. Here's what I had
to say.

I just read an email from a friend who has a friend at home taking care of
his mom who was discharged 6.5 HOURS after her complete left mastectomy, I
work in veterinary medicine and our patients are hospitalized until proper
care can be taken of them at home. Having a large chunk of flesh with a not
inconsiderable amount of emotional involvement attached removed should merit
more than a few paltry hours in a hospital. It's not a mole or wart to be
excised; a breast is wrapped up in a woman's view of herself. And the area
of the surgery is highly mobile and very painful post-operatively and tends
to accumulate fluid, all things that should be managed by health care
professionals. No lay family member, not matter how well-intentioned and
caring, is equipped for the aftercare required. Sad that we treat our pets
with more consideration and dignity than we do our own wives, sisters and
mothers.

Old August 8th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , steve
wrote:

[...]

Steve, my heart goes out to you and your friend's family (and the
millions of others who are suffering or affected by breast cancer). I'm
praying for you all!

I have no idea if this is the norm ... but I'm going to find out - at
least for my home state (not sure how to check for another). To think
that it might be the norm is disgusting and appalling. It's just one
more case of "conveyor belt" healthcare. For YEARS women's healthcare
has been steadily going this route.

Not the same thing, but I remember a few years ago when I had my son, a
woman I'd met was being sent home after the customary TWO days in the
hospital following giving birth. Her doctor didn't want her to leave -
she was hemorrhaging VERY badly. The poor woman could barely stand up
(not that standing up after giving birth is an easy proposition). But
her insurance refused to cover additional stay and she couldn't afford
the $$ to stay past her coverage.

Meanwhile, my son and I ended up staying for over a week - turns out
that we were exposed to chickenpox and had to be quarantined (but only
I ended up with CP - and even then, it was AFTER the hospital stay).
Once it became an issue other than woman's health our insurance had no
qualms paying for it. So apparently, a childhood illness rates higher
on the "need" scale for insurance companies than dangerous post-natal
complications.

But still, I can't imagine sending home a woman who's just had a breast
removed - ESPECIALLY if she were advanced in years. AFAIK, that would
leave more complications open and require extra care.

Now, what I'm wondering is how it would handled in Europe? Hubby, on
his trip, just sprained his knee and had to go to a local hospital - he
said UK's healthcare system REALLY kicks our butt (in fact, he's
talking about either running for office and changing things or moving
there - but then, he IS on pain-killers). Will anyone from the UK pipe
up and let us know??

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!
Old August 8th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Default OT Breast Cancer Petition - PLEASE READ

If you feel seriously about this issue to respond, signing the petition is
not extremely helpful. If you want to make a difference, send an email to
your federal congressman and senators. Put your name and complete address
at the bottom. Include a few SHORT remarks about why this issue is
important to you.

I have been actively involved in several "marches" in Washington, D.C. on
behalf of the genetic disorder my son has. I have met with not only
congressmen and senators... but more often their health-care aides. Meet
with them at their local offices. If your issue has touched your life,
include a picture and a short story. Give them a face to remember. (In 5
years of meeting with DC politicians and their aides, we have received
appropriations especially earmarked for research for our disability in
excess of $10 million dollars. Meeting with them face-to-face en mass does
make a difference. Those who can't go to Washington that weekend email that
weekend. So we get our issue in front of them hundreds (maybe thousands!!)
of times within a week. It works!)

I have learned that a bunch of "names" on a petition does not carry much
water. Elected officials listen to their constituents. They want to be
re-elected. So a personal message directly to the person who casts YOUR
ballot will carry far more weight.

So if this issue is important to you, spread the word around your local
community hand state and get written messages (emails) to them en mass.
Remind them that they are there to voice the opinion of their constituents.
Remind them that they are there to represent you ... and this is the message
you want them to hear and represent.

You can find contact information for your representatives he
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

It's not that I don't support a petition -- it's just that I really want to
make a difference, I want to DO what will have greater impact.

--
Kate in MI

Old August 8th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Of if you don't speak Spanish. (oops! haven't had my coffee yet!)

Try these links:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

Sorry!

--
Kate in MI

. ..

Old August 8th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"steve" wrote:

[...]

Steve, awful as it is to say, I believe that this truly *is* the norm
these days. I know far too many people who are sent home to care for
themselves or to have family members care for them, when what they need
is trained medical personnel to make sure that things are going
smoothly. It's a scandal.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 8th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think I'd start by firing the dr. I did some nosing around and can't
find anywhere that has info on what state laws are at this time. I know
there are some already inacted and if anyone can find a good list of
that info I'd like to see it. A close friend is just finishing up post
bc reconstruction. Here in CA insurance companies have to provide that
as per law. I don't know about hospital stay length though. I bet
there already are some laws in place. We should at least be informed
about those.
Sending well wishes to your students mom. I do have to say for anyone
thinking socialized medicine will fix our problems to look at the
bridge that the government is in charge of keeping safe for us.
They don't do a good job at much of anything except line their pockets
it sometimes seems.
Taria

OT - Breast Cancer/Hugs Tina Quilting 7 October 16th 06 02:29 AM
Breast Cancer/OT pami Quilting 150 May 4th 06 11:56 AM