O my gosh! It came back!!

Old August 5th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default O my gosh! It came back!!

I marked a quilt with one of those (allegedly) easy-wash-out light-
blue markers. I made some mistakes, and decided to start over, got a
wet sponge and "erased" what I'd done.

I just went to iron the border where I'd started, and the blue marks
*came back*!!! I didn't know it was going to
do that!!

Old August 5th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I hope you didn't iron over any of the marks.
Generally it takes more than just wiping with something damp to remove
the marks. Wiping can just force the ink into the batting, sometimes.
You really need to rinse those well to remove the ink, especially if you
made fairly heavy marks. And make sure there is no detergent/soap when
you rinse. I suggest putting the quilt under running water to remove
the marks thoroughly.

Always test your markers and the removal of marks on scraps before using
on a project. BG Something everyone learns, often the hard way.
(Don't ask...........)

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 6th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Sherry wrote:
I marked a quilt with one of those (allegedly) easy-wash-out light-
blue markers. I made some mistakes, and decided to start over, got a
wet sponge and "erased" what I'd done.

I just went to iron the border where I'd started, and the blue marks
*came back*!!! I didn't know it was going to
do that!!- Hide quoted text -

Unfortuantely, I did iron over them (duh)...in my infintessional
wisdom, I got it so wet from sponging
I thought I'd dry it really fast with a hot iron. They're very faint
now. I can live with it.

Tell me this, Pati, and I swear I won't ask any more stupid questions.
Not today, anyway :-)
I *really* like using this marker. I decided to use it with stencils
for the handquilting pattern. If I *do* go ahead
and mark it again with the same pen, it'll come out with a real
washing, after I'm done, won't it? In the washer, I mean.
Chalk is so temporary and smudges off so easy. Invisible pens gets,
well, invisible before I"m done.
I'm not real crazy about this quilt, and have no plans for it.

Sherry

Old August 6th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article .com,
Sherry wrote:

I marked a quilt with one of those (allegedly) easy-wash-out light-
blue markers. I made some mistakes, and decided to start over, got a
wet sponge and "erased" what I'd done.

I just went to iron the border where I'd started, and the blue marks
*came back*!!! I didn't know it was going to
do that!!

Is there anyway that you can pop it in the washer? Or maybe a sudsy
(laundry detergent) sink with lukewarm water????

That happened to me once and since it was a "utility" quilt I went
ahead and finished it. It was like that for about 2 months - then I
washed it (son was feeling poorly and ... well ... tossed his
"cookies") and the marks came out.

I use (NAYY, of course) Arm & Hammer detergent .... not sure if it
would work in your case (fabrics are different - the
finishing/preserving solutions they use on fabrics can vary) - which is
why I ask if you can dunk it NOW before you put any more hard work into
it.

I really, really, really hope that if my idea doesn't work (or you
can't dunk it) that someone else comes in with an idea that works!!

(((Sherry)))

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!
Old August 6th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Again, be careful of using the washing machine. Any hint of detergent/
some soaps can also set some of the "wash out" inks permanently. They
can also come back as a brownish stain years later. sigh.

For marking that will hold better than clay chalk, look into wax tailors
chalk, in white. Because of the wax, it does show up on white and light
colors. But it will disappear from natural fibers with a bit of heat. I
started using it when I worked in an alterations/tailor shop. You can
buy a box of 48 pieces for under $10. And that is enough to last for
years. If you look for "Miracle Chalk" in quilt shops, it is the same
thing, but a lot cheaper by the box. I highly recommend getting together
with a friend or several and doing a mass purchase. (It is heavy so
shipping can be a bit high, but I did buy 6 boxes last year and it came
out to about $7 plus change per box, including shipping.) And don't
order it in the summer..... it is wax and can melt in the heat.

You can sharpen the little squares very easily too. I use a pen knife
and just scrape the edge of the chalk a bit.
Get the white, as I say, you can see it on white and I know it
disappears. I accidentally got sent a box of yellow and I haven't gotten
around to checking it yet. Hope it will disappear too.G

Some people have used the Crayola washable fine line markers for marking
quilts. But do test to make sure they wash out. G

Have fun,
And I always like to answer questions.... it is part of being a teacher.
VBG

Old August 6th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

This reminds me of last week's discussion on Read the Manual. g

From the instruction (manual) panel on the back of the
Wonder Marker:
"(Used properly the Wonder Marker is the safest most convenient marker
available on the market today.) [they say; I agree]

Directions
Always test W.M. on a spare swatch ...

....Caution:
Be sure marks are completely removed w/ plain water before laundering.
Some laundry products containing more than 3% sodium hydroxide or more
than 5% sodium carbonate may cause the marks to turn a brownish color
if they are not removed before laundering.
Do Not Iron Over Marks before removing ... ."

There's more but that's the basics, on all of this type marker
I've been using for 30+ yrs.. While I haven't had any problem
with them, YMMV. One of my quilt tops had marks on it for more
than 10 yrs. (it was an embroidered top that someone took home &
put in storage ["safe keeping"], finally returned it to me
for quilting); those marks washed out, no traces of them 20 yrs. later.
I've even ironed over the marks & they rinsed out. ;-)

Dabbing the marks w/ a little water usually does not remove them.
"Completely removed" means immersing the item in water,
letting the water penetrate the ink to remove it.
If I change my mind mid-quilting, I dab the marks so they lighten,
then re-mark the top & keep quilting. After the job is Finished
I run the quilt thru' a rinse cycle, check to make sure the marks
are gone, then toss in a little soap or BIZ and wash the quilt,
check for marks, then throw it in the dryer.
For now, don't let those brown marks scare you; Finish your
quilt, then follow the laundry instructions. Good luck.

Ragmop/Sandy-- ... because it's a product I believe in

On 8/5/07 4:53 PM, in article
, "Sherry"

Old August 6th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Biz to the rescue. Got a brand new pair of pillowcases-Large Butterflies on
a white background. The iron spit brown rust stains right in the middle of
the pillowcase (Mine quit, so I borrowed the neighbors) soaked said
pillowcase in Biz overnight---you can't tell they were there at all.
Fortunately, it was a 'cheap' steam travel iron.
Off to online hunt for another Proctor-Silex flat bottom iron--and using my
spritzer. This one lasted 10 years.

Butterfly

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

This reminds me of last week's discussion on Read the Manual. g

From the instruction (manual) panel on the back of the

Old August 6th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s....jsp?itemID=10
817&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=iron

NAYY but Vermont Country store has this one!
--
Susan in Kingston ON
back to quilting, as usual
"Butterflywings" wrote in message
Biz to the rescue. Got a brand new pair of pillowcases-Large Butterflies

on
a white background. The iron spit brown rust stains right in the middle of
the pillowcase (Mine quit, so I borrowed the neighbors) soaked said
pillowcase in Biz overnight---you can't tell they were there at all.
Fortunately, it was a 'cheap' steam travel iron.
Off to online hunt for another Proctor-Silex flat bottom iron--and using

my
spritzer. This one lasted 10 years.

Butterfly

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

This reminds me of last week's discussion on Read the Manual. g

From the instruction (manual) panel on the back of the

Old August 6th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 5, 8:45 pm, "Butterflywings"
wrote:
Biz to the rescue. Got a brand new pair of pillowcases-Large Butterflies on
a white background. The iron spit brown rust stains right in the middle of
the pillowcase (Mine quit, so I borrowed the neighbors) soaked said
pillowcase in Biz overnight---you can't tell they were there at all.
Fortunately, it was a 'cheap' steam travel iron.
Off to online hunt for another Proctor-Silex flat bottom iron--and using my
spritzer. This one lasted 10 years.

Butterfly

There's a lot to be said for old-fashioned flat bottom irons. We
cleaned out a storage
building, and I found the one that I got in my wedding shower. It was
hardly used, still
in the box even. (I married in the middle of the polyester-double-knit
era, nobody ironed
anything, and after that,
I wanted a steam iron). I nearly tossed it out to Goodwill, but
decided to plug it in and
see if it still worked. I love that iron now. I'm so glad I kept it.

Sherry

Old August 6th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 5, 8:04 pm, Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

This reminds me of last week's discussion on Read the Manual. g

From the instruction (manual) panel on the back of the
[...]

Thanks, Sandy. I did what Pati suggested, and ran the border under
running water. The
marks are gone. I learned something for sure--like never use the "dab
and iron" method.
It was a scary moment. BIZ seems to be a favored product here, BTW.
Something else
to try.

Sherry

Oh my gosh! SteveB Sewing 3 August 7th 07 06:39 AM
gosh it's quiet on here Y? Machine Knit 0 May 23rd 07 10:41 AM
GOSH DARN-IT!!!! Terbear Quilting 2 July 19th 05 04:37 PM
oh my gosh - a great big HUG! Ann Adamson Quilting 13 March 29th 04 12:07 AM