Denim yarn swatch results

Old June 15th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Denim yarn swatch results

I am probably going to drive you guys NUTS, and I'm sorry if I do.

I just did my very first gauge swatch. (Before I would just measure
carefully and wing it -- remember, I've never knitted from a pattern
before.) I am trying to cast on properly, and I was yelling at the
video "But I'm not getting one stitch cast on, I'm getting two!" and
similar other complaints for about 10 minutes before I got it right. LOL

The listed gauge is 20 sts/28 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch and
I'm coming out at 20/27. That's pretty good, especially considering
this yarn is going to shrink after the first washing, right?

Now on to the main job. I am so excited.............

The directions say, "Because the selvedges will be visible, slip the
first stitch of each row purlwise throughout the pattern." (To sew up
the seams, you overlap one edge over the other and hand-sew it down, so
it's not an invisible seam.) What's the difference between slipping
purlwise and slipping knitwise, and how do I know I am doing it the
right way? Yes, I know what a knit stitch and a purl stitch is -- but
the "cuff" of these jeans is done in reverse stockinette stitch, and
then the body is done in regular stockinette stitch, so do I slip the
stitch in one direction for one and the other for the other?

I don't want to mess up these little jeans and make them look like, "Oh,
you made these yourself, didn't you..." so I would appreciate any words
of wisdom from those who have gone before.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old June 15th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

The listed gauge is 20 sts/28 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch and
I'm coming out at 20/27. That's pretty good, especially considering this
yarn is going to shrink after the first washing, right?

You will be one row shorter than the pattern measurement ( 1/4 inch) for
each 7 knitted rows. Rowan denim will shrink in length about 20% the first
time it is washed according to Rowan patterns written for this yarn The
pattern as written allows for some shrinkage. Since your row gauge is off
just knit to the measurements given in the pattern, recalcuating the number
of rows between increase to compensate for the difference in row gauge

The directions say, "Because the selvedges will be visible, slip the first
stitch of each row purlwise throughout the pattern." (To sew up the
seams, you overlap one edge over the other and hand-sew it down, so it's
not an invisible seam.) What's the difference between slipping purlwise
and slipping knitwise, and how do I know I am doing it the right way?
Yes, I know what a knit stitch and a purl stitch is -- but the "cuff" of
these jeans is done in reverse stockinette stitch, and then the body is
done in regular stockinette stitch, so do I slip the stitch in one
direction for one and the other for the other?

The following link has good instuctions on how to slip knit/purl wise
http://wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/in...hain_selvedge/
There are pictures to show what the edge is supposed to look like, once you
see the edge produced you will have a better understanding of the pattern
instructions.
DA

Old June 15th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

DA wrote:

pattern as written allows for some shrinkage. Since your row gauge is off
just knit to the measurements given in the pattern, recalcuating the number
of rows between increase to compensate for the difference in row gauge

That's what I figured I would do. I figure a row longer or shorter if I
round isn't going to be such a big deal, but having to recalculate how
many stitches hither and yon could be.

The following link has good instuctions on how to slip knit/purl wise
http://wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/in...hain_selvedge/

There are pictures to show what the edge is supposed to look like, once you
see the edge produced you will have a better understanding of the pattern
instructions.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU This is GREAT!

I have all my stitches cast on, now I'm all set to start this for the
weekend.

Old June 15th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU This is GREAT!

I have all my stitches cast on, now I'm all set to start this for the
weekend.

You are welcome When you knit with Nashville (the darker color) the dye
will rub off. I have a set of bamboo needles that are permanently stained
from knitting a denim sweater several years ago.

Happy knitting,
DA

Old June 15th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
I am probably going to drive you guys NUTS, and I'm sorry if I do.

Since most of us here would probably be deemed nuts by 'ordinary' (i.e.
boring people) there's no need to apologise. Drive away.

Mary

Old June 15th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mary Fisher wrote:

You are welcome When you knit with Nashville (the darker color) the
dye
will rub off. I have a set of bamboo needles that are permanently stained
from knitting a denim sweater several years ago.

Happy knitting,
DA

What's the dye used to produce the colour in this yarn?

It's dyed with an indigo dye, the same as denim.

Old June 15th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
I am probably going to drive you guys NUTS, and I'm sorry if I do.

Since most of us here would probably be deemed nuts by 'ordinary' (i.e.
boring people) there's no need to apologise. Drive away.

*brightening up* Why, thank you! I am very glad to have someone to
talk to about knitting, just like I can talk to the ladies in the sewing
groups about sewing.

Old June 16th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

You are welcome When you knit with Nashville (the darker color) the
dye
will rub off. I have a set of bamboo needles that are permanently
stained
from knitting a denim sweater several years ago.

Happy knitting,
DA

What's the dye used to produce the colour in this yarn?

It's dyed with an indigo dye, the same as denim.

'AN' indigo dye? Do you mean woad or a similar natural dye? Or a modern
substitute - the same as is used for modern denim?

Mary

Old June 16th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Sorry -- I gave you all the information I had -- that the reason it
fades is because "it is dyed with an indigo dye, just like denim." I
suppose if you wanted to know every last detail you could contact Rowan
directly and ask.