why turn clothes inside out for washing

Old September 11th 04, 11:07 PM
Alan Horowitz

Default why turn clothes inside out for washing

I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?
Old September 11th 04, 11:18 PM
Maine-iac Rose

I believe it is so that whatever rubs against the fabric, it will rub the
inside and not the outside. It will wear thru from the inside out, instead
of the outside in, which in turn will not fade the color outside. Hope you
understand.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me

om...

Old September 11th 04, 11:22 PM
JJ

On a pair of Jeans you usually have a rivet or two. That little metal thing
can cause damage to the fibers on other clothes being washed at the same
time. Some fibers keep a nicer appearance when washed inside out. No pills,
no pulls on the face of the fabric, less stress to the face from aggitation.
Is that enough reasons or do you need a few more.
Juno

Old September 11th 04, 11:55 PM
Arri London

Alan Horowitz wrote:

I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

My textile-engineer-friend says it reduces abrasion on the surface of
the clothing for one thing. Also lint and threads collect on the inside
rather than the outside. It also helps keep the buttons and zips from
snagging on other items.

It's something my grandmother did (and she always had a machine) and my
mother did and I do now. Also a good opportunity to look for seams about
to fail and to clean out the pockets
Old September 12th 04, 01:42 AM
CW

Even something as seemingly gentle as washing is abrasive. It accelerates
wear and, in the case of jeans, fading. If you turn them inside out to wash,
they stay newer looking longer.

Old September 12th 04, 03:29 AM
lady sylvre

and if you throw the jeans in the dryer after washing, the inside-out
configuration will help keep the legs from forming that annoying "minicuff"
on the bottom...

admom

Old September 12th 04, 04:44 AM
Joanna

I believe it also has something to do with the color bleeding and
setting again. A lot of my newer jeans have said to wash inside out just
for the first few washes.
Joanna
--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old September 12th 04, 09:42 AM
Kate Dicey

Alan Horowitz wrote:
I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

If you look at some other clothing labels, they will also say to iron on
the inside: this prevents iron shine, especially on knits. It annoys my
DH no end, but I have *tried* to explain it all to hem...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 12th 04, 03:49 PM
Laura B.

Alan Horowitz wrote:
I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

No one mentioned that the inside of clothes is where all the dead skin
cells, body oils and sweat accumulate as well. I'm sure it gets cleaner
inside out.

Laura B.
Old September 12th 04, 05:52 PM
teleflora

"Alan Horowitz" wrote in message
om...
I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

Because we don't "wear" clothes out, we "wash" them out. The top loading
machines with the big agitator really are hard on clothes. The thing that
really impressed me was how little lint ends up in the filter of my friend's
dryer after they have been in the front loading washer. She cleans her
filter after every 8-10 loads. I have to clean mine after every load. That
lint is the fabric of your garment. I don't know that I want a front loader
next time, but I would like one of the top loaders with the agitator that
swings from side to side rather than bouncing up and down.
Cindy