OT - Favourite caramel recipe for caramel apples?

Old October 9th 13, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

Default OT - Favourite caramel recipe for caramel apples?

Hello, we're having a Halloween party in a few weeks, and I've a handful
of caramel recipes, but I want one that will set up hard on an apple and
not slide off. Mine seem to be for really soft caramel that doesn't
stick to your teeth (which is a benefit) but now I'm on the hunt for a
recipe that is a bit on the "sticky" side, or it tends to just slide
right off the apple....

Now, I'm not talking about store-bought apples here. They're coated in
an "edible wax" that gives the apple that lovely shine. No, I use
apples from my friends' trees, so I know they're as natural as can be.
So that's not the issue.

Bring on the sticky, chewy caramel recipes please!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 10th 13, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

My caramel making experience is that the longer you cook it the chewier it gets- as in cooking it to a few degrees hotter than what you've been doing. If you don't use a candy thermometer (which I HIGHLY recommend), when you drop the still cooking caramel into water to test it, you can feel the consistency of the formed candy ball, so go for a slightly firmer ball stage. Candy is tricky, so don't get crazy! LOL Just a couple of degrees will make a big difference. Also, be sure your apples are perfectly dry and and dip them so they are covered completely including the stick where it goes into the apple. That will 'seal' the caramel coating and not give it an opportunity to slide off if it's a complete 'ball' over the apple. And always try to make candy on a relatively dry day rather than a humid or rainy day. The humidity will mean you need to cook the candy to a few extra degrees in itself.

Your 'too soft' caramel is wonderful for dipping apple slices or, if it's really soft, pouring over ice cream for a sundae or even on yogurt or a bit mixed into peanut butter for an extra special sandwich rather than the standard pb&j. Jars of dipping caramel make wonderful gifts if you end up with a lot of extra from your 'failed' too soft batches. ;-)

Good luck with you 'experiments'!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

PS: One other thought- have you calibrated your candy thermometer? Bring a pan of water to a full boil and see what the reading is on the thermometer- if it's not 212F or 100C you'll need to adjust the cooking temperature for your caramels.

Old October 10th 13, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

How about this recipe

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...-toffee-apples

Janner
France

Old October 10th 13, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Haven't tried it, but this sounds a crispy one and it even has a tip for
making the toffee stick
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...-toffee-apples

There's also a recipe for Bonfire Toffee - a must for Bonfire Night when
I was a child
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...bonfire-toffee

You could combine the two occasions or have an excuse for two different
types of toffee!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside