what is a fair price to charge for maching piecing?

Old August 13th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default what is a fair price to charge for maching piecing?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Connie" wrote in message
et...
In article , Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Judy:
While I do not have an answer for this interesting
question, I do have a site you may enjoy. This is Judy
Martin's site. It includes a section where Judy sells
some of her quilts and tops. Several lap size tops are
priced about $450. FYI, but remember, I have NAYY!
http://www.judymartin.com/products.cfm?catID=3
PAT in VA/USA

*eyes goggling!!*

Wow!! They don't look THAT intricate or hard to do ... perhaps I'm
seeing'em with a jaundiced eye? I mean, $2500 for an UNQUILTED top???
Wow. But maybe it's packaged with hundred dollar bills as cushioning??

Don't get me wrong - I do love her quilts, but they're still on the
simple (but time-consuming) end of the spectrum. So yep, I guess you're
paying for the name. :/

judy in fort worth wrote:

I have been asked to machine piece a quilt top for a friend. She will
supply all of the fabric and also have the top machine quilted. (I do
not
do that part of the process on anything larger than a throw.) Anyone
have
any suggestions on what I should charge for this work? I know that
people
generally do not understand the amount of work involved so I do not
expect
to become a millionaire in this process (LOL). But I do not want to
quote
fee that is entirely too low, either. Anyone have a suggestion?

judy in fort worth

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique
patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they
APOLOGIZED!
LOL!

Old August 13th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Some of them are quilted. The ones that are not are clearly marked that
way. She has a really good machine quilter who does most of her quilts.
Not that I wouls still pay $2500 for a quilt....but it IS quilted. BUT
there IS an unquilted top that is $2000.....called "Unfolding Star" a lone
star variation.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Connie" wrote in message
et...

Old August 13th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article GyOvi.43204$Xa3.5602@attbi_s22, KJ
wrote:

Some of them are quilted. The ones that are not are clearly marked that
way. She has a really good machine quilter who does most of her quilts.
Not that I wouls still pay $2500 for a quilt....but it IS quilted. BUT
there IS an unquilted top that is $2000.....called "Unfolding Star" a lone
star variation.

Yes, but I still couldn't see paying even $800 for a NEW unquilted top.

And as for the pattern, I wouldn't pay that much for a Lone Star -
maybe a Dahlia but not a Lone Star. But then, I've done LSs and have
never been able to do a Dahlia!

Old August 13th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Me either.....just wanted to clear up that the most expensive pieces were
finished quilts. Pricey, yet finished. :-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
et...

Old August 13th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

First off, I wouldn't do it. However, if you choose to do so, you
should charge at least 2 times the minimum wage per hour!