shields (fwd)

Old July 16th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default shields (fwd)

Here is a Gallery page i wrote several years ago , i am sending it for
Mary to read .
mirjam
--------------------------------

Shields for Magen

"A thousand bucklers hang on it, All the shields of the mighty men" says
the Song of Solomon 4:4.

Magen Friedman, of blessed memory, the son of our friend Tony, fell in
Lebanon. At that time were already thinking of an exhibition around the
theme of Coats of Arms. Shocked by the tragedy, we put the exhibition
aside for a while, after a long hesitation, we asked for Tony's
permission, and she gave it, to dedicate this exhibition to the memory of
Magen, whose first name is also the Hebrew word for shield.

In many languages, the term Coat of Arms, refers to both a standard and a
shield, it surprised me to see how closely these two concepts are
throughout so many cultures, but the more I searched, the realization grew
in me that this is probably an early human instinct. As far back as
ancient times, people made sure to mark each individual of the
community/tribe with visible markings, first and foremost, so that the
other members of the tribe won't hurt him, during the hunt, or during
skirmishes with foreigners, and also in order that the wounded would be
identified and taken care of respectfully by their successors. Perhaps
this was the beginning of the link between the symbol=identifying
markings, which protect the body in times of danger, and later identifies
the name and protects from oblivion.

Throughout history, the shield developed into a certain form that
protected the center of the body while the limbs were free to move, and
the identifying markings, were moved to the front of the shield, using
shapes which would be clear and visible to a person charging at the
shielded person. Gradually, an entire visual 'language' developed, which
could relate even to a viewer who could not read, or could not speak the
language, who the person facing him is, and what his social status is,
and his genealogical history. The Coats of Arms, along with various
economical privileges, were granted by kings to any one who provided them
with services, at first to warriors, and later on to the great merchants.

Around the 14th century, the six pointed star becomes a Jewish symbol,
following a tradition that this was the symbol carved on the shields of
King David's warriors. It would have been more appropriate to use the
five pointed star which was the symbol of King Solomon. Lest we forget the
Jewish nobleman with the red Coat of Arms, Rothschild.

Nowadays we are surrounded by signs=symbols=logos, many of them retain a
form reminiscent of the Coat of Arms. Countries, cities,
religions, and nowadays commercial companies as well, rely more on our
eyes, fleeting for but a moment over their symbol, and identifying it,
setting it in our minds, rather than relying on our auditory memory. In
fact, even our road signs are designed on the principle of quick
recognition of the visual symbol.

In our society, as in the rest of the world, the determination of personal
identity has become very important for us. We thought that after the group
education, and the search for our roots, many people might want to present
themselves visually, and create a new, contemporary Coat of Arms for
themselves.

Translated by Uri Bruck