Applique on Denim Overalls? Help!

Old February 27th 04, 07:07 PM
A Mullen

Default Applique on Denim Overalls? Help!

Hi,

I am in search of some help with embroidering/satin stitching fabric to
denim overalls.

I hope someone can help!

Right now, what I am doing is cutting out the fabric, using spray adhesive
and then satin stitching right on the denim overalls around the edges of the
fabric. I use a tear-away stabilizer on the back to help enforce the
stitching and to make the fabric run smoothly over the feed dogs.

I had been using iron-on adhesive, but decided to switch to spray adhesive
since it is faster and the iron-on adhesive seemed to show through the light
colored fabrics.

Does this sound like a good process so far?

I am using an Elna Quilters Dream sewing machine, not an embroidery machine.
Do I need an embroidery machine to make the stitching more professional
looking?

I use regular Coates & Clark thread. Is there a better thread to use? I
know Sulky is good for rayons, but I am just looking for a plain looking
thread now.

Someone had recommended to me that I take my piece of fabric and embroider
it onto the tear away and do all the detail in the middle and around the
outside edges. To make an actual appliqué. Then I should use a stitch of
"some kind" to adhere the appliqué to the denim. What kind of stitch do I
use so it doesn't show over the satin stitching on the appliqué? How do I
make sure the edges of the appliqué are securely fastened to the denim so
that the edges don't fray?

I would think it would be easier to do all my embroidering to make the
appliqués and then attach them to the overalls. But I am just not sure how
or if it will look professional? Any advice?

I am just trying to make some holiday outfits for my 2 boys. I thought
dressing up overalls would be easy, but my stitches are uneven and I break
needles and thread all the time!

Thanks so much!

Allison Mullen

PA

--
Thank you!
Allison Mullen

Old February 28th 04, 01:44 PM
joy beeson

I cut my applique's out after sewing them on.

Draw the stitching line on the fabric, sew along it with a
zig-zag that's narrower and more open than the final
stitching, cut close to the stitching, then satin-stitch
over the basting.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old February 28th 04, 02:25 PM
Polly Esther

Some SMs just don't like denim. Mine does not. I see you wrote, "my stitches
are uneven and I break
needles and thread all the time!" You might try a needle specifically for
denim or leather; this is not a good needle for embroidery but just might
work better. I have decorated denim for little guys and they loved them just
to pieces. Not my finest hour in embroidery but probably my most
appreciated. Now - always the safety fanatic - I'll just have to urge you to
put on your glasses. If you have none, get a pair of safety glasses from the
lawn and garden shop or drugstore. We want you to protect your eyes. Polly

Old March 1st 04, 02:25 PM
velma929

"A Mullen" wrote in message ...
[...]

Here's something you could try:
Carfully mark the outline of your applique design on the applique
fabric, so it shows on the wrong side of the fabric.

Place the applique on a lightweight, tightly woven fabric of a similar
color, like broadcloth, right sides together.

Using small, straight stitches, 10-12 per inch, stitch around the
outline of your applique.

Trim very carefully to 1/4 inch. Clip corners.

Carefully cut a slash in your broadcloth, and turn the whole thing
right side out.

Now, embroider, embellish, satin stitch the edge, you may need a
stabilizer for that.

I worked in a tailor shop for 20 years. We stitched appiques on just
inside the satin stitch.

You sound like the type who wants things to look perfect, but if
you're willing to compromise a little, use a product like Fabri-tac to
attach the appliques. Or that iron on product, whose name escapes me
at the moment. (Darn that mental-pause) More time left to play with
the boys. Anyway, how long will they hold still? Long enough so
someone's going to look and think to themselves, "Ooh, she did all
that embroidery, and then just glued them on?"
Old March 3rd 04, 05:33 PM
Claire Owen

"velma929" a écrit dans le message de news:
"A Mullen" wrote in message

[...]

Your answer reminds me that I once put my father in laws army crest onto a
new blazer using matress stitch, just a couple of mm in from the satin
stitched edge. It worked a treat and not a stitch showed, and FIL was
impressed, not an easy task.
You could try that.
Claire

Denim quilt help?? Joanna Quilting 3 September 22nd 04 07:22 PM
new applique method Sonja in Red Deer Quilting 1 March 29th 04 10:40 PM
2nd applique project Kathy in CA Quilting 12 March 22nd 04 08:00 PM
Curved Applique with Pinking Shears M. Wetmore Quilting 6 December 23rd 03 11:51 PM
Machine Applique Advice Monique Reed Quilting 7 July 12th 03 09:58 PM