a new sewer-help with curtain length shortening

Old August 9th 03, 12:57 PM
aces1

Default a new sewer-help with curtain length shortening

I bought already made curtains. I want to shorten them. Any quick
suggestions so that it doesn't look tacky when I finish.
They are tab curtains. They fit the dinning room and the kitchen window is
just 3 feet away but a smaller window length.

Thanks, Chris in MI

Old August 9th 03, 01:42 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Look at the hem that is already on them. Make the new hem the same depth,
as it is probably best for whatever weight fabric makes up the curtains.
Look whether the sides or the hem is folded first. Without seeing the
curtains, it is hard to say exactly, but probably a two inch hem, folded up
twice, and blindstitched into place would be best. Cut the curtains four
inches longer than you want them to be when finished. All that fabric in
the hem helps the curtain hang nicely. Find thread that matches EXACTLY.
Being a "new sewer" I would also suggest that you do the hem by
hand---invisibly just like a skirt hem. This is much easier if you can use
the blind-hem stitch on the sewing machine, but just one window done by hand
won't be very hard.
Good luck on your project!

Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
Length of a string of pearls Dan Jewelry 4 January 31st 04 08:32 AM
Restringing necklace -- length increase? roxan Beads 10 January 13th 04 08:59 PM
New curtain designs are added Embroidery PES Marketplace 0 October 27th 03 12:52 PM
New curtain designs are added Embroidery PES Needlework 0 October 27th 03 10:03 AM