NYB

Old January 21st 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default NYB

I've decided I need to make a New York Beauty quilt someday, paper
pieced. Where should I start? Which books should I buy? Karen
Stone's book seems to be out of stock on amazon (where I have a gift
certificate). Valori Wells' Radiant NY Beauties is there though. Does
anyone know if either of these come with CD"s to print the paper piece
patterns, so I don't have to fiddle with photocopying them? Thanks, as
always!
PS: I know how to paper piece, so I don't need help on that part, but
the NYB part is a mystery to me.

Lynn, who shouldn't even be thinking about another project yet.

Old January 22nd 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Lynn, the page Wendy posted the other day with the PP hearts - had some
great NYB patterns there for FREE! Check it out:

http://www.lenzula.de/pattern/free/nyb.php

Hugs,
Tina

Old January 22nd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina wrote:
Lynn, the page Wendy posted the other day with the PP hearts - had some
great NYB patterns there for FREE!

Free is good! Thanks

Lynn

Old January 22nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The Karen Stone Quilts books has a CD available to print out the
patterns. But I you do have to have EQ5 to use it.
(I got the CD/software before I got the book. G)
I love being able to print out the foundations what ever size I want to
make.
Have also done one of the other quilts in the book/cd, and am
contemplating others.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 22nd 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

If you have some idea what (like how many "spikes" per arc, etc) you want
you can design one on EQ and you can print it out to any size you need. If
you have no idea you can just design a whole lot and play with them.

Want a lesson?

--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

oups.com...

Old January 22nd 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cheryl in Oz wrote:
Want a lesson?

From you? Any day! Thanks Cheryl. I don't know why I didn't even

think of using EQ4. I'm not sure if I can print on EQ4, running
through the Virtual PC emulator. I'll have to give it a try. I think
I could use the paper piecing patterns Tina sent the link for and then
find similar ones in EQ4 to visualize them all together and play with
colors... that should work. There goes the rest of my night (and the
progress on my current quilt project, oops).

-Lynn

Old January 22nd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

thanks for the link. All of this talk about NYB has put me in the mood
to make one but I must put it right out of my mind. I have two special
wedding gifts, a very special baby gift and class samples to make.
Must not start a NYB, must not start a NYB, Must Not Start a NYB. . .
..

Susan

Old January 22nd 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"quilter" wrote:

From you? Any day! Thanks Cheryl. I don't know why I didn't even
think of using EQ4. I'm not sure if I can print on EQ4, running
through the Virtual PC emulator. I'll have to give it a try. I think
I could use the paper piecing patterns Tina sent the link for and then
find similar ones in EQ4 to visualize them all together and play with
colors... that should work. There goes the rest of my night (and the
progress on my current quilt project, oops).

Lynn, I had the same printing problem as you mention: my printer
wouldn't work through VPC. However, I found a cute little app called --
appropriately enough -- CutePDF at
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp (free version). Now
whenever I "print" something in VPC, it simply saves as a .pdf file in
my Shared folder; then I can access it from my Mac and print it normally
without any size "translation" problems. HTH.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old January 22nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

oh yes! Cute PDF writer is great! I used it to make the PDF files on my
website - I had complaints about the html pages but never about the PDF
files.

The only problem with it is remembering to *print* it to the writer instead
of saving as one would normally do. But it is something one can get used to
pretty fast if done enough ;-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old January 22nd 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks! -Lynn