OT Humour: Changing a light bulb

Old June 18th 04, 12:29 AM
Rachel Janzen

Default OT Humour: Changing a light bulb

Found this today and just had to sha

Q: How many internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a
light bulb?

A: 1,331:

* 1 to change the light bulb and to post to the mail list that the light
bulb has been changed

* 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently.

* 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

* 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs.

* 53 to flame the spell checkers

* 156 to write to the list administrator complaining about the light
bulb discussion and its inappropriateness to this mail list.

* 41 to correct spelling in the spelling/grammar flames.

* 109 to post that this list is not about light bulbs and to please take
this email exchange to alt.lite.bulb

* 203 to demand that cross posting to alt.grammar, alt.spelling and
alt.punctuation about changing light bulbs be stopped.

* 111 to defend the posting to this list saying that we are all use
light bulbs and therefore the posts **are** relevant to this mail list.

* 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique, and what brands are faulty.

* 27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs

* 14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post
corrected URLs.

* 3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to
this list which makes light bulbs relevant to this list.

* 33 to concatenate all posts to date, then quote them including all
headers and footers, and then add "Me Too."

* 12 to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy.

* 19 to quote the "Me Too's" to say, "Me Three."

* 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

* 1 to propose new alt.change.lite.bulb newsgroup.

* 47 to say this is just what alt.physic.cold_fusion was meant for,
leave it here.

* 143 votes for alt.lite.bulb.

______
Rachel

Old June 18th 04, 01:24 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

It's been a very long time since I've seen this, and the original
question was about Internet newsgroup subscribers.

Believe it or not, in my early days with RCTN and a couple others, this
was almost exactly what it was like. And at least once a year, someone
would post this to remind us all how silly we were behaving.

So, we *are* growing with time and patience. :-)
Dianne

Lucille wrote:
Very clever--I love it
Lucille

"Rachel Janzen" wrote in message

Found this today and just had to sha

Q: How many internet mail list subscribers does it take to change a
light bulb?

A: 1,331:

Old June 18th 04, 02:34 AM
Karen C - California

In article SPpAc.798182$Ig.679480@pd7tw2no, Rachel Janzen
writes:

* 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique, and what brands are faulty.

* 27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs

I recommend the Verilux natural daylight bulbs from www.realgoods.com. They
last significantly longer than the GE brand available at WalMart, and appear to
be brighter, too. It seemed to me that I got more hours from one Verilux than
from a comparable dollar-amount of the cheaper ones. The Verilux lasted well
over a year, whereas the GE lasted only a couple months in the same lamp and
therefore similar usage pattern. I'll leave it to Jim to design and execute a
proper scientific test, running an adequate statistical sample number of bulbs
in identical lamps on a timer system to ensure precisely equal usage, with bar
graphs, pie charts, and bell curves, to four sigmas.

And since I am not feeling well this evening, I will defer to Darla the
responsibility for checking everyone's grammar and spelling.

--
Finished 5/21/04 - Fireman's Wife
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old June 18th 04, 02:18 PM
Joan Erickson

writes:

[...]

ROTFLMBOWTIME!!!! Karen, you are *evil*!!!! You did pretty well,
considering you weren't feeling well! )))

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old June 18th 04, 09:27 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Joan Erickson
writes:

Karen, you are *evil*!!!!

Moi?

Inquiring minds want to know, and I think Jim's the most experienced at
devising and statisticalizing experiments. Since I don't own the appropriate
meter, I really *am* curious whether it's just my imagination that a 60-watt
Verilux is brighter than a 60-watt GE daylight bulb. As far as longevity,
after running through the box of GE's in record time, I replaced them with a
Verilux, which is *still* in there, so I know that, for sure, though I'm sure
someone out there wants numerical values other than just my assertion that one
$8 bulb lasts longer than $8 of cheaper bulbs.