Why no # 12 knitting needes?

Old April 13th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Gerald & Donna McIntosh

Default Why no # 12 knitting needes?

Hi! Was just working on my latest modelstitching job (re-knitting sweater
on # 13 needles)
and got to wondering why needles jump from #11 to #13..Anyone got ideas?

Donna in S. Indiana (whose youngest gets her staples out of her head today -
she conked
herself in the head with a full big can of hairspray last Sunday and we
ended up in the
ER, she had a inch gash and ended up with 7 staples..She was kinda happy,
got out
of swimming in gym last week!)

Old April 13th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Gerald & Donna McIntosh wrote:
Hi! Was just working on my latest modelstitching job (re-knitting sweater
on # 13 needles)
and got to wondering why needles jump from #11 to #13..Anyone got ideas?

There's no 14s or 16s either. I think it has to do more with the metric
sizes... 11s are 8mm, 13s are 9mm, 15s are 10mm. So there's a nice even
1mm between them. But then 17s jump to 12.5mm, though I've seen some
that are 12mm. No 11mm either.

sue
Old April 14th 09, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_]

Gerald & Donna McIntosh wrote:
Hi! Was just working on my latest modelstitching job (re-knitting sweater
on # 13 needles)
and got to wondering why needles jump from #11 to #13..Anyone got ideas?

Maybe for the same unknown reason that a size 10-1/2 needle is 6.5 mm
and a size 11 needle is 8 mm? *shrugging shoulders in a "who knows?"
type of fashion*

Then again, there are always reasons such as the following:

A little girl asked her Mom why she always cut the end off the ham
before baking. Her Mom said "That's the way my Mama always did it.
You'll have to ask Grandma why she did it." The little girl asked her
Grandma why she cut the end of the ham off before baking? Grandma said
"Because my Mom always did. You'll have to ask Great-Grandma why she
did it." Finally the girl asked Great Grandma why she cut the end off of
the ham before baking. Great Grandma said, "Because my baking pan was
too small to fit the whole thing."
Old April 14th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply wrote:
[...]

The US sizes follow wire gauges to an extent. The first needles were
made from wire and machined in shops like bolts and things. So there
were pre-set sizes that could be used, unlike today's computerized machines.

sue
Old April 15th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Gerald & Donna McIntosh

"suzee" wrote in message
[...]

thanks for the answers..now i've got to get back to my knitting job,
redoing the sleeves for second time; one down, 2nd more than half done..
fronts and back done so I can finish this up today and get it in
mail!

Donna in S. IN