Mostly Off-Topic: A Contest

Old October 11th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Monica Ferris

Default Mostly Off-Topic: A Contest

Betsy needs a boyfriend. She has had two romances in the course of
this series. The first was Morrie Steffans, a retired police
detective who wanted Betsy to sell her shop and move with him to
Florida. When she refused, he moved away alone. Down there, he found
a new girlfriend. But he could move back. He is tall, with a lantern
jaw and jug ears. He admires her talent for detective work, and has
gentle manners. A widower, compassionate and decent. (I really liked
him, I don’t know why I let him get away.)

The second is Stan Omernic, a hard-working police detective. Good
looking in an Eastern European way, very competent. In Sins and
Needles he is married (but he could get or already be divorced) with
children. Honest, not too cynical, tolerant.

Neither of them does needlework.

The third? Well, invent someone, one of you. Or tell me why to bring
back one of the above two.

Betsy is short, plump, intelligent, hard-working, funny, open-minded,
a church-going Episcopalian. She is independently wealthy (though
that may change if the economy keeps sliding). She owns her own
business and sleuths on the side. She keeps a cat. She needs a
boyfriend she can keep!

Because of my wide readership, I am offering a choice of prizes to the
winner:

1) A hand-painted canvas by Peter Ashe called Winter Cottage, not
stitched.
2) A sampler pattern called “A Sampler for Merry Pat” from Blue Ribbon
Designs.
3) “The Long Thistle” cross stitch chart from Landmark Tapestries.
4) An autographed ARC (Advance Review Copy – bound gallies) of Thai
Die.
5) An antique (around 1912) toy typewriter from Simplex.
6) A skein of fuzzy yarn (mohair, wool, nylon blend, 50 grams, 122
yards) in fall colors from The Gourmet Collection. Suitable for
crochet or knit.

The rules of the contest: You have until November 15 to invent a
fictional male boyfriend for my sleuth, Betsy Devonshire. He needs a
name, a physical description, and a solid outline of his character.
Add any details you like, including how they meet – though that’s not
necessary. Oh, I do need to like him, too. Winner gets his/her
choice of one of the five prizes – oh, and a copy of Blackwork (in
which the new boyfriend will appear), suitably autographed.

It’s possible no one will win, if I don’t like any of the entries.
Old October 11th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
betsey

On Oct 11, 10:08*am, Monica Ferris wrote:
[...]

perhaps betsy needs to learn to like herself and being alone, without
a man in her life...

Old October 11th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Oct 11, 4:08*pm, Monica Ferris wrote:
[...]

Thank you Monica , this is a wonderful idea, it is a nice Intelectual
excercize , i will try and think up a nice guy !!!!
mirjam
Old October 13th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

[...]

Where do we enter this contest?

Higs,
Katherine
Old October 13th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Oct 13, 6:34*am, Katherine wrote:
[...]

Katherine- Hide quoted text -

I think all it takes is sending it to Monica,,,
i have 3 books from that Wonderful seties !!!!
mirjam
Old October 13th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Oct 13, 12:09*pm, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Mirjam. I'll have to think about it for a while!

Higs,
Katherine
Old October 13th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

YarnWright wrote:
Monica Ferris spun a FINE 'yarn':
snipped all the garbage until:

+It’s possible no one will win, if I don’t like any of the entries.
end quoted

Monica Ferris. . .
Maybe *WE* don't like *your* tone.
The only way most of us would invent a character for you would not involve your pithy so-called prizes, we would expect and demand author CREDIT in your book/story/article.
Noreen
infuriated at your audacity.

Perhaps those of us who do like Mary Monica don't like your tone,
either. She is not only a well-known author (see
www.Monica-Ferris.com)but particpates quite a lot on rctn - when she is
not deep in the throes of writing, that is.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.