Hand sewing ARGH! help

Old August 22nd 05, 01:43 AM
dogmom

Default Hand sewing ARGH! help

I hope the dogs don't step on the needle that I threw across the room
(followed shortly by my glasses) when my Coats and Clark's all-purpose
thread tangled and knotted for the 2nd time in 5 minutes while I was
stealthily sewing binding on a WUH for DH, tryin' to get it done before he
suddenly emerged from a nap.

It's knot fair! My nerves are frayed! Seems whether sewing binding or just
hemming a skirt my thread (always AP Coats/Clark, using the smallest needle
I can thread--is that part of the problem?) tangles every 6 - 8 stitch; the
end is frayed so I keep cutting it off (are my scissors dull?) and after a
while I think I should maybe--no! no housework. But it is really annoying!
I've been trying to get used to a new pair of glasses, too--progressive
lenses, so I"m switching between them and 2 other pairs which means after a
while I can't see s*** with nothin'! Never did find that needle.

Advice as always greatly appreciated.

Dogmom

Old August 22nd 05, 01:53 AM
Jalynne

First, breathe in and out slowly ten times. ok...now....when you thread
for hand sewing, put the end of the thread through the eye before you
cut it off the spool. Use segments that are about 12" in length. Put
your knot on the end that you cut from the spool. These three things
should help reduce tangling. Something else that some people swear by
is running the thread through beeswax a couple of times. you can use a
plain candle if you want (white, not colored, because some can transfer
their color to your thread, and that isn't a good idea.)

Good luck!

--
Jenn/Jalynne
navy Wife, mom of a 3rd grader-princess type, 1st soprano in Tacoma
Old August 22nd 05, 02:00 AM
Jalynne

Oh, i just remembered something else....stop every little while and
twist the needle counterclockwise...this seems to help me avoid tangling.

Old August 22nd 05, 02:22 AM
Marcella Peek

Sorry you are frustrated!

You don't need to use a teeny needle, so don't kill yourself with a itty
bitty eye; especially since you have new glasses. A bigger needle is
fine!

Sometimes knots are a problem when people cut reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy
lllloooonnnngggg pieces of thread because they don't want to have to
thread the needle too often. Is your thread about 14-18 inches? If
it's longer ( and I swear I've had students who cut it 4 feet long and
not only wear out their shoulder and put their neighbor in danger of
being poked, but get tons of knots and wonder why) you are likely to get
knots and have your thread fray from all the wear.

marcella

Old August 22nd 05, 02:26 AM
Patti S

OH don' cha just hate it when that happens? I have ripped out my share
of thread because of knots. I have learned to sew with much shorter
lengths of thread, and am one of those that religiously runs my thread
through beeswax. One little hunk will last forever. And what previous
post advised about turning your needle every so often is good - I just
turn whatever I'm working on upside down and let gravity "unwind" the
needle for me. If all else fails, have a glass of wine, and mebbe a
chocolate, and put the project away until tomorrow.....

Patti in Seattle

Old August 22nd 05, 02:33 AM
dogmom

Um...it wasn't *four* feet! After all, I only have 2 feet!

Dogmom, looking sheepishly down at her feet....

Old August 22nd 05, 03:00 AM
Cheryl

Beeswax does help. If you must use a candle make sure it is made of
beeswax, not just candle wax. I remelt my sliced and crumbled pieces of
beeswax in the microwave for a few seconds (just to soften! NOT heat) and
then remould to a "lump" over and over until it is all gone.

For my hand applique I have found Thread Heaven absolutely wonderful NAYY -
the modern version of beeswax. It is a silicone thread conditioner
available many places. Here's a link to some specs
http://www.threadheaven.com/home.html

It comes in a very small plastic cube and is supposed to provide many
benefits as well preventing tangling. When the cube starts to "hollow out"
in the middle just keep it aside until you have another and refill the first
one with the leftovers from the second. Although they're not so exp you
couldn't just buy another, I have a quilter's aversion to throwing out
anything!.

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

Old August 22nd 05, 04:01 AM
Marcella Peek

I wrote four feet long :-)

marcella
I write enough typos without getting teased for made up ones ;-)

Old August 22nd 05, 08:33 AM
Kate Dicey

dogmom wrote:

[...]

Silk thread! I use it for almost all hand sewing - hems, quilts,
whatever. When I can't get that or don't have the colour in stock,
mecerised 100% cotton thread is next best. I have now acquired my first
reel or Aurifil cotton, and will be trying that.

For some areas where tensile strength is not an issue, rayon machine
embroidery thread can work well.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Argh wierd conflicted feelings (OT) Kalera Stratton Beads 33 June 15th 05 05:13 PM
Argh! Screw Up Vent! Dannielle Quilting 17 April 8th 04 06:48 PM
ARGH! meijhana Beads 10 February 8th 04 05:01 AM
ARGH! I hate it when . . . Kandice Seeber Beads 0 September 1st 03 10:29 PM