Maytag MI7500 iron

Old August 20th 05, 03:42 AM
Polly Esther

Okay, Ellen, if you have the Rowenta - try this. Go read the instructions
on how to clean it. It's time for me to do it again but it's something
like: fill 'er up, hold her over the sink and push the steam button again
and again until the system is flushed out. When cool, clean whatever off
the sole. Then (!) never ever fill it up to the fill line.
I really would like for mine to hold a gallon or two of water but, alas,
that isn't going to work.
So long as we keep the Rowenta clean - and I only do it if she starts
spluttering - and only let her drink about 6 oz of water at a time, she
behaves very nicely; steams great and heats hot. Not a perfect world but
one I can live with. Ignore the part about emptying the Rowenta after you
use it. That ain't gonna happen here. Polly

"Ellen" wrote in message

"KJ" wrote in message
Hummmm tough question! I have this iron.....I won it in a raffle.
It doesn't leak and it does hold its heat off the cradle. I have been a
Rowenta user for many, many years so I'm used to doing a quick pick up of
the iron to turn it back on after it has automatically shut off. With
the
Maytag, you have to punch the button to choose the fabric temperature and
then wait for it to heat up again. The length of time depends on how
long
its been off. Though I don't think it heats up as fast as the
Rowenta....and "maybe" doesn't get as hot. But not really sure on that
one....just an impression. But I've been pretty happy with it for the

most
part...of course, I didn't pay over 100 dollars for it. So I might be
easier to please!

It's my rowenta that leaks water when it has water in the tank -- this is
the 4th rowenta I have had woth problems. I bought one about 10 yrs ago
and
it leaked, the store replaced it, the replacement leaked, they replaced
it,
that replacement leaked, they begged me to take my money back and I did.
The
non-Rowenta I bought to replace it lasted about 8 yrs and then I bought
the
latest Rowenta about 2 years ago. It is not an auto-off. But if you have
water in the tank it just seems to leak blobs of water here and there. And
it is getting worse. The soleplate has gotten slightly yucky even tho it
is
supposedly non-stick.

If I have to punch a button every time and wait for it to heat up, it will
probably make me a raving lunatic. Maybe I should rethink this and just
never use the current rowenta with water in it again :-(

The best iron I ever had I bought 30+ years ago -- a GE I belive with a
plain sole plate. Got very hot, the sole plate never got weird, it didn't
spit and it didn't leak. When it was 18 yrs old there was some place
having
a deal -- bring in your old iron and buy a new one and get $20 or $25 off
the new one. I never should have done that but I did ... It seems to me
that
the technology has been around for close to forever, I don't want
electronic
improvements. I just want an iron that gets real hot, that doesn't spit
water and doesn't leak. I'll live with a boring sole plate .. sigh

I have this theory -- no one but us irons. We are a small segment of the
population. All those other people who buy irons kept burning things cause
they couldn't manage to figure out how to turn the irons down to a cooler
setting and kept bitching at the manufacturers so they started making
irons
that don't get hot any more. Problem solved! Now to even have a chance at
an
iron that gets hot we wind up spending big $$ and they still don't work
right. Grump grump grump :-)

Ellen

Old August 20th 05, 04:11 AM
Ellen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
Okay, Ellen, if you have the Rowenta - try this. Go read the instructions
on how to clean it.

Hahaha -- like I have any idea where the instructions are :-)

It's time for me to do it again but it's something
like: fill 'er up, hold her over the sink and push the steam button again
and again until the system is flushed out. When cool, clean whatever off
the sole. Then (!) never ever fill it up to the fill line.

well OK why not -- worth a try! It's probably never been cleaned since I got
it unless the iron cleaning fairy has dropped by.

I really would like for mine to hold a gallon or two of water but,

alas,
that isn't going to work.
So long as we keep the Rowenta clean - and I only do it if she starts
spluttering - and only let her drink about 6 oz of water at a time, she
behaves very nicely; steams great and heats hot. Not a perfect world but
one I can live with. Ignore the part about emptying the Rowenta after you
use it. That ain't gonna happen here.

Actually I put very little water into it because from the beginning it
didn't do well when full. And as you say, if I have to put in water to do a
little steam pressing and then empty it every time that is so not going to
happen. I just don't do that much steam pressing. Mainly when I finish a
quilt and the number of things I have finished in the last 2 years is um,
well, cough, er not enough to bother using one hand never mind two :-)

I noticed that amazon has the B&D boring old black iron for $22ish and if I
get up to $25 then shipping is free. Surely I can find a book or three to
buy. Maybe I should get one of those for emergencies or something. You can
never tell when you will have an iron emergency! It seems to have no
features which has a certain amount to recommend it.

Maybe I don't need a new iron -- maybe I should just stop avoiding the fact
that I have no idea what to do for a border for my mystery quilt and just
figure it out and stop dithering around about it and then work on the fabric
challenge that *I* challenged my guild with and so yes, I really do need to
figure out how to use 112 totally random pieces of fabric in one quilt. And
yes, the mystery quilt was my idea also and yes I set the due date for the
tops to be done so I have no one to blame ... because really I could just
dump the rest of the water out of the iron and solve the water splot problem
for now :-)

Ellen

Old August 20th 05, 04:46 AM
Polly Esther

Ellen, you just must find a place to put instructions for electric things.
I'm not suggesting that you read them except in the case of an emergency.
Do you have a cabinet above your refrigerator that's too out of reach to
ever use? That's a good place for the little instruction books. When all
else fails, you might need one of them.
I still have the instructions for the VCR. Never understood it. (And
the VCR has been enjoyed out at the practice range as a target by the local
rifle club).
Fun aside, do give flushing out the Rowenta and half-filling it a try.
Just might save you some big bucks. Polly

Old August 20th 05, 12:02 PM
nana2b

Hi Ellen, My Target Iron has a temperature dial. It is large and under the
handle. The fill spout also has a door on it to prevent "spillage".

Hey, I need new potholders too, doesn't everyone? :-) Linda in Tx

Old August 20th 05, 01:02 PM
Ellen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
k.net...
Ellen, you just must find a place to put instructions for electric things.
I'm not suggesting that you read them except in the case of an emergency.
Do you have a cabinet above your refrigerator that's too out of reach to
ever use? That's a good place for the little instruction books. When all
else fails, you might need one of them.
I still have the instructions for the VCR. Never understood it. (And
the VCR has been enjoyed out at the practice range as a target by the

local
rifle club).
Fun aside, do give flushing out the Rowenta and half-filling it a try.
Just might save you some big bucks. Polly

You are, of course, entirely correct. When we were first married, several
thousand years ago, my husband took *every* instruction booklet, punched
holes in it and put it in a binder regardless of how useful or useless the
booklet was. As the years passed, he became less obsessive about this. Ok
who am I kidding, he just stopped completely at some point. I believe I
still have the binder and thusly the booklets for the washing machine that
died 20 years ago, the dryer that died 15 years ago, a refrigerator I do not
remember ever owening (I think the previous owners took the frig and left
the booklet). It seems to me the reason I do not have the directions for the
iron must be my husband's fault, as when we were first married he made it
clear that accumulating those random instruction booklets was his job :-)

Yes I am going to flush out the Rowenta first thing this morning. Thanks!

Ellen

Old August 20th 05, 04:24 PM
Laurie G.

My cheap iron fried yesterday so I did go off to Target yesterday to find a
replacement. I got a Black & Decker - SteamXpress. It's fairly heavy, steel
soleplate, temp dial, etc. I like it. It heats fast and has great steam. It
was also around $30.00.

One thing I'm not so crazy about (and it may subside with use) is that when
I am done pressing and lift the iron up to a sitting position, I get a great
burst of steam. I have to be careful where I am pointing it when this
happens. I almost peeled the cover off my new Harry Potter book sitting on a
close bookshelf!!!!

I hate iron shopping but one thing I know - I will never "invest" in a
Rowenta again.

I may try a Shark on the next go-round though. Anyone have one of those?

--
* * * * * * *
Happy Quilting!

"Ellen" wrote in message

"Betty in Wi" wrote in message
According to some article my DH read....Black and Decker is rated the #1
iron. Don't know which model it was though.

They used to make really good irons IIRC and then they went thru a period
of
irons that were less than stellar. Maybe they have gotten their act
together. That would be good .... Thanks!

Ellen

Old August 20th 05, 06:21 PM
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:46:57 -0500, KJ wrote
(in article lYvNe.263770$x96.54576@attbi_s72):

My latest Rowenta leaked when I first started using it, but for some reason
(knock on wood) it has been fine lately.

"Ellen" wrote in message

"KJ" wrote in message
[...]

My Rowenta leaked when I first bought it. Then I read the instruction
booklet and I haven't had a problem since. Of course, I thought I knew how
an iron worked, so I didn't even think to look at the instructions.

Maureen

Old August 21st 05, 03:33 AM
Polly Esther

Yes, Maureen, I understand. My Rowenta only leaks if it is clogged or
overfilled. I love the Heat and the Heft of the Rowenta so I'm willing to
accomodate her demands. Polly

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote