Hand sewing ARGH! help

Old August 22nd 05, 08:58 AM
Sally Swindells

I don't often get the knots and tangles, but I do get the needle eye
cutting through the thread (which tends to be Gutterman or Mettler
(haven't checked if I've spelt those right!).

I don't sew with long threads so this is doubly annoying. I use good
quality needles, with the gold dipped eyes which are supposed not to
cut - but they do!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:43:38 GMT, "dogmom"
wrote:

I hope the dogs don't step on the needle that I threw across the room
(followed shortly by my glasses) when my Coats and Clark's all-purpose
thread tangled and knotted for the 2nd time in 5 minutes while I was
stealthily sewing binding on a WUH for DH, tryin' to get it done before he
suddenly emerged from a nap.

It's knot fair! My nerves are frayed! Seems whether sewing binding or just
hemming a skirt my thread (always AP Coats/Clark, using the smallest needle
I can thread--is that part of the problem?) tangles every 6 - 8 stitch; the
end is frayed so I keep cutting it off (are my scissors dull?) and after a
while I think I should maybe--no! no housework. But it is really annoying!
I've been trying to get used to a new pair of glasses, too--progressive
lenses, so I"m switching between them and 2 other pairs which means after a
while I can't see s*** with nothin'! Never did find that needle.

Advice as always greatly appreciated.

Dogmom

Old August 22nd 05, 12:35 PM
Tina

Amen, thank God for beeswax! I used to have the same problem with
knotting and breaking, even on short pieces of thread. Then I read a
"tip" somewhere about using your old leftover bars of bath soap and
that worked wonders until I treated myself to a beeswax block! I still
have a few leftover slivers of bath soap bars in a ziploc bag in my
travel sewing kit so that when I take a project "to go" - I don't have
to worry about losing my wonderful beeswax block. And the soap seems
to help keep my fingertips from getting so sore so fast, it makes them
just a tad sticky (easier to grip the needle) and coats them, which
seems to add some "padding" LOL.

And, like someone else mentioned, if I have gotten my thread a little
too long, or know that one certain length of thread will finish off
what I am working on - I just hold the piece up, let the thread dangle
and unwind and go on from there.

Hugs and offering DS's metal detector to find that missing needle,
Tina

Old August 22nd 05, 02:34 PM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

One of the Murphy's Laws for Quilters is that men have magnetic feet-
send your hubby walking around the room in his barefeet and he WILL
find that needle for you!

On the knotting thread troubles, I vote with shorter lengths of thread
and untwisting it a bit at every stitch- or two.

Good luck, dear!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 22nd 05, 06:47 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Use HANDquilting thread; you only need one strand,
not doubled thru' the needle. Ideal for hems and bindings,
quilt piecing ad yo-yos.
Use a SHORTer piece of thread, about 10"-12",
less chance of it tangling.
Works for me; YMMV;
I've only been doing this for 40+ yrs. g

Ramgop/Sandy-- p.s. took me 3 days to adjust to the
progressive lenses this summer

Old August 22nd 05, 07:00 PM
Pat in Virginia

Amy:
About those eyeglasses. Part of the problem might be that you are
switching back and forth. It would probably be easier to just
stick to the new glasses. If you still have problems, go back to
the optical shop and get them checked. The transition area might
be too high or too low for you. I switched to no line (aka
progressive) bifocals and love 'em. It took me about 3 or 4 hours
to feel really okay. But then, I adjusted to the old style
bifocals rapidly too. YMMV.
Hugs, PAT

Old August 23rd 05, 12:43 AM
Debra

wrote:

[...]

Everyone else mentioned letting the thread untwist by dangling the
needle, using thread conditioners like beeswax or Thread Heaven,
shorter thread lengths, and different needles. All good things. I
have one other thing to add. Slow down.

I always end up with knots whenever I am trying to stitch quickly or
if I am agitated or overly excited, be it sewing or embroidery. This
has always been such a common happening for so many ladies through out
the ages that one embroidery pattern book from the 16th or 17th
century (not sure which at the moment) mentions to only stitch when
one is calm and able to take the time necessary to produce nice
stitches to avoid problems while stitching and to have the best
possible craftsmanship. Since reading that I have realized that it is
true for any stitching, not just embroidery, and I don't hurry myself
so much. I tend to get less knots and more importantly prick myself
less when stitching. I really hate having to stop working on
something to apply bandages, find the misplaced scissors, unknot my
thread, or rip it out and start over. I've found doing all those
things makes me slower than if I had taken my time in the first place
and I end up upset about it to boot so I try to avoid it all by doing
it the easy slow way. Perhaps you could try again when your DH is
away from home so you can take more time and not be excited by the
idea that you are trying hard to stealthily stitch nearly right under
his nose.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 23rd 05, 03:27 AM
the black rose

Um, try using a better quality thread. I use Mettler cotton thread and
*never* have this problem as long as I remember to give the needle a
twist every few stitches. No beeswax, no Thread Heaven.

dogmom wrote:
[...]

Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human
Relations
2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

Argh wierd conflicted feelings (OT) Kalera Stratton Beads 33 June 15th 05 05:13 PM
Argh! Screw Up Vent! Dannielle Quilting 17 April 8th 04 06:48 PM
ARGH! meijhana Beads 10 February 8th 04 05:01 AM
ARGH! I hate it when . . . Kandice Seeber Beads 0 September 1st 03 10:29 PM