"Handmade, US Lampwork"????

Old September 9th 04, 05:17 AM
Kaytee

In article , "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
writes:

Well, to give the seller some credit, in some of the auctions she says the
jewelry is made by her

The auction I gave the title for, she says she made the BEADS-- the auction is
for lampwork beads, not finished jewelry. Mind you, not just that the beads are
handmade (which Indian glass is...), but that SHE made them using all the
proper high quality lampworking materials and techniques.

If you buy a kilo of Indian glass "premium" lampwork, you can sort through it
and find beads that look the same as the one she is claiming credit for. They
have a black core (usually), and they've fused on bits and pieces of glass all
over the core, then melted them together (sometimes not too well-- still edges
where the pieces come together). They are only approximately round, or barrel
shaped or whatever.

The spacer beads look like more Indian glass-- "colorlined" beads made of clear
glass, then paint applied inside. Yes, paint. It chips off.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old September 9th 04, 06:35 PM
Dr. Sooz

http://snipurl.com/8ykt
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old September 9th 04, 06:38 PM
Dr. Sooz

Artemis is now on the "Not Recommended" list, as is Austin (the copyright
violator).

hopefully the low selling
prices will force this seller to either stop misrepresenting beads, or to
get better at making them.
snip

Unless the photo is of something else entirely, then the
person is either misinformed or lying. Considering that (s)he knows
all the jargon, I suspect it's the latter.

~~

Old September 9th 04, 11:58 PM
Kalera Stratton

LOL! Look at this one! She's billing firepolished as Swarovski, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... 774&tc=photo

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kaytee wrote:
There is somebody on eBay selling beads in this catagory, and "confirming" the
listing by saying it is made by her with any of three premium glass brands,
with a specific mandrel size (but also as "large holed"-- larger than that
mandrel) and kiln annealed.

They look like somewhat "selected" and cleaned up Indian lampwork to me.

Couldn't get the URL to cut & paste (AOL "helpfulness" thing...), but one of
her auction titles is: ARTEMIS (14) Lampwork FRIT & FLAIR Blues & Reds Lg Bead

Comments? Does eBay even care, as long as it's not an auction winner
complaining?

Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old September 10th 04, 12:03 AM
Kalera Stratton

Oh oh oh! And this gem: "Handmade Moretti, Effetre, Vetrofond & Lauscha
Lampwork" and "Dichroic Boro, Moretti, and Effetre Lampwork"

This person isn't even a lampworker at ALL, I would bet cash money.
There's no dichro in the picture, one bead that might or might not be
boro (but is clearly not dichro), and no lampworker would be so ignorant
as to think Moretti and Effetre were two different kinds of glass.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:21:43 -0400, Kandice Seeber wrote
(in message ):

I agree - it's hard to tell. No matter what, hopefully the low selling
prices will force this seller to either stop misrepresenting beads, or to
get better at making them.

Take a look at this other item, being sold by the same "lampworker."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4070&item=4924
500896

Uh, okay. Unless the photo is of something else entirely, then the
person is either misinformed or lying. Considering that (s)he knows
all the jargon, I suspect it's the latter.

Kathy N-V

Old September 10th 04, 03:30 AM
Kandice Seeber

Ah HAHAHAHA!!!! Jeez - anyone can see those are not Swarovski.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 10th 04, 03:31 AM
Kandice Seeber

shaking head These people must be desperate. They see lampwork
going for decent prices and think - "hey, I will try my hand at selling
imports and see if I can get big bucks by name dropping and using jargon I
have no idea about!!!". It's sad, really.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 10th 04, 04:39 AM
Kalera Stratton

The thing about it that's really lame is that I think they could do just
as well or better by NOT deceiving people... by saying "My lampwork is
made in india by skilled handcrafters; I carefully cull, clean, and
kiln-anneal the beads myself, before dividing them into small sets with
carefully selected accent beads. My goal is to do the handpicking so
that you, the jewelry artist, don't have to. Enjoy!"

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old September 10th 04, 05:30 PM
Dr. Sooz

LOL! Look at this one! She's billing firepolished as Swarovski, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&item=4924764

774&tc=photo

Whoa, that's fraud.
~~

Old September 10th 04, 06:16 PM
Peggy

I recently started to make my own hand-made jewelry, and am currently doing
my own wirework and metal clay. I have only purchased lampwork beads twice:
The first set I love. The second set were definitely flawed (there were
cracks where the artist removed the mandrel).

How can I learn to tell the difference between genuine hand-crafted lampwork
beads and cheap imported beads, especially when the seller says that the
beads are handmade? I like lampwork, but I really have no interest in
learning how to make my own lampwork beads. (I've already got enough to
learn about metal!)

I asked this question at a recent bead show, and someone suggested that I
look closely at the beads before purchasing them. This is a good idea if
you can see the beads before you buy, but it won't help me because I live in
the country, about an hour-and-a-half drive from the nearest city and
beadshop. The reality is that I have to purchase on-line. So I have to
look at pictures and Web sites to make a determination. What should I look
for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I just started reading this newsgroup today, so please excuse me if
this question has already been asked and answered in this group.