Which Pfaff Machine for Me?

Old November 15th 04, 04:13 PM
Ida Boyens

Default Which Pfaff Machine for Me?

I'm interested in purchasing a Pfaff sewing machine. I do slipcovering
of furniture and have an industrial Pfaff that I sew heavy, multi layers
and welting with. Now I need a machine for finer work that I do with
window treatments, pillows and toile handbags that I make. I have just
started looking at models available on Pfaff's website and at places
like eBay. The choices are overwhelming and bewildering for someone who
is just starting to look at their machines. Anybody have any
recommendations as to which models I should be looking at? The main
features that interest me are the dual feed and various heming stiches.
I would also like to do some nice decorative stiches, but I don't think
I need thousands of specialty stiches. What will give the biggest bang
for my buck? Do I have to spend $4000 or can I geat a great Pfaff for
less than $1000? -- Suse
Old November 15th 04, 07:51 PM
Barbara Raper

I have a Pfaff 1471 that I love. It sold for $2000 back in 1987. The
current Sears Elite sells for $2000, has about the same number of built in
embroidery stitches, and will do a lot more. You might also want to check
out a new Singer for about $900.
HTH Barbara in FL USA PM OES

Old November 15th 04, 08:00 PM
Pogonip

Ida Boyens wrote:

I'm interested in purchasing a Pfaff sewing machine. I do slipcovering
of furniture and have an industrial Pfaff that I sew heavy, multi layers
and welting with. Now I need a machine for finer work that I do with
window treatments, pillows and toile handbags that I make. I have just
started looking at models available on Pfaff's website and at places
like eBay. The choices are overwhelming and bewildering for someone who
is just starting to look at their machines. Anybody have any
recommendations as to which models I should be looking at? The main
features that interest me are the dual feed and various heming stiches.
I would also like to do some nice decorative stiches, but I don't think
I need thousands of specialty stiches. What will give the biggest bang
for my buck? Do I have to spend $4000 or can I geat a great Pfaff for
less than $1000? -- Suse

If you can find one, I think the Pfaff 1222 is the last of
their mechanical machines that would do what you want.
After that, you get into the electronic machines. I see
several 1222s on eBay right now, well under $1000, which
is sort of surprising.

I have a 1475 and a 332 - the 332 is an oldie, but a
goodie. Very powerful, all mechanical machine, with lots
of stitches. The 1475 also has many stitches, but when
the motherboard dies, I'm afraid the machine will be
headed for the landfill because it's too old now for
replacement boards.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old November 15th 04, 10:11 PM
Chris Underwood

Suse - It sounds like you are looking at new machines but you might be
better off looking at used machines. They will cost less are were much
better machines when they were made by Pfaff - before they were sold to
Viking, et al. If you want a dual feed then you'll have to look at Pfaffs
that were built since the early 1970's. I have Pfaffs from the early 1950's
through the early 1990's ( a 30, 130, 260, and a 1475) that are all
wonderful machines. The models 230, 260, 332, and 360 are all workhorses
but do not have a dual feed. They may do everything you want without dual
feed! You can go to Yahoo and join the Old Pfaff Pforum to talk to Old
Pfaff Pfanatics!!!

--
-:¦:-
·.·´¨ ¨))

Washington State, USA

Old November 15th 04, 10:37 PM
Barbara Raper

I've been told by my repairman that a new motherboard for my 1471 will cost
$400, up front. I don't think so!
Barbara in FL

Old November 16th 04, 02:20 AM
Ida Boyens

In article 8Q9md.4228$h15.4151@trnddc07,
"Chris Underwood" wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for your kindly advice. I have seen some deals on the
2030 that look interesting to me at a price that I can tolerate. I'm
thinking that they offer a little more choice in different stitches.
Anybody have experience with this model? -- Suse
Old November 17th 04, 01:17 AM
Mary

"Chris Underwood" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have a 2030 & I love it. No problems at all. When I was shopping
for it, I also wanted the dual feed & a few decorative stitches. I also
compared
buttonholes, which was the final deciding point. I'd originally thought I
wanted
a Bernina, but the saleslady couldn't make it do a buttonhole in a
lightweight
wool crepe. Said the crepe was too heavy for making clothes with! I think
of the Bernina lady every time I wear my crepe suit with the nice Pfaff
buttonholes!