Back from Houston -- *not* OT! (long)

Old November 4th 03, 08:26 PM
Sandy Foster

Default Back from Houston -- *not* OT! (long)

Wow! I didn't think I could be as impressed with the show as I was last
year (my first time), but I was. It's *so* amazing.

This year's show started early for me, since Ally arrived in Las Vegas
for a visit with us before we both left for Houston. What fun! I can see
why beading is gaining popularity -- Ally "forced" me to take her to a
couple of bead shops here (as well as LQSs, of course), and the beads
are so varied and beautiful. But I'm being firm with myself....

We arrived in Houston on Wednesday afternoon to begin the adventure of
the keys. It seems that our hotel, the Four Points (aka Ramada Plaza,
and whose logo is appropriately a mariner's compass g) gave us a room
with key gremlins. We'd had three sets of keys and a visit from the
maintenance man by the time we left for the preview of the quilt show
the first afternoon. g A couple of days later, we had a fourth set of
keys and a second visit from the friendly maintenance man, and that
seemed to do the trick once and for all.

Wednesday at the show I ran into a friend from LV in the ladies' room!
Small world. Then Ally and I had an adventure trying to locate Nancie R.
-- the complication was that there were *two* pasta stands, and we
weren't at the same one. Thank heavens for cell phones. G Picture us
walking along, talking on my cell while telling Nancie to stand still --
finally making eye contact and waving frantically. LOL!

Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday all passed in a blur of shopping,
quilt gawking and classes. But each day we managed to find some RCTQers
to chat with at lunch. On various days we ate and talked with Nancie R.
and her DH Joe, Kevin, Nancycog (who brought *Godiva* chocolates!!),
Elena (and now I know your real name!), Dogmom, Kay Law and her DH,
Susan M. and DH Don, Susan F. and her friend Susan from Australia,
Kellie and Lorilynn. What a pleasure to see/meet all of you, some for
the first time, others again. And thanks so much to Kevin for
arranging everything so we'd be able to make contact so easily!

Saturday we were joined by two celebrities during lunch. First Alex
Anderson arrived to meet the "Lexies", and she's so gracious about
visiting with people and having photos taken with perfect strangers.
Then Carol Doak arrived! Woohoo! Since she's also an RCTQer, that was a
special treat. She also was terribly gracious about visiting with us and
doing the photo thing, so my day was made. g She's so nice -- I'm
going to see about trying to get the "powers that be" to get her to come
for our guild sometime.

Nancie and Joe took Ally and me to the museum to see part of their
collection on Thursday evening, and we met Kevin and Kellie and all of
Kellie's lovely family there. Saturday evening, after dinner with Kevin
and Kellie and Nancie and her extended family, Kevin and his delightful
friend Allan (sp?) brought Stuart to meet me and renew acquaintance with
Ally. What a cutie! Oh -- I almost forgot! We all had a margarita toast
to Helen that night, too! She'd asked us to have a margarita for her,
and who were we to disappoint her? g

I came home with fewer purchases than last year, though these were more
"substantial". g I'm going to try that technique for hand quilting
that the Thimblelady has developed, so I bought her thimble. I also
bought her hoop, since I needed (?) a new lap hoop. Other than that, I
bought a couple of rulers and some batting samples, as well as a book.

My trip home was less than stellar, unfortunately. First I managed to
leave my almost-new quilted jacket in the taxi, though I *think* it is
now in the mail on its way here to me. Then Southwest apparently can't
count very well and didn't stock enough snack items for everyone. So
much for my "lunch". Oh well, at least there were beverages, and it was
only a three-hour flight. My luggage had been searched, and it was also
damaged rather badly, but the new SW rules relegate the breaking of
wheels and feet and anything else to "normal wear and tear", so I'm
responsible myself for the repair costs. :S Still, things could have
been worse, and I had such a good time at the show (and before) that I'm
already anticipating 2004. G

I'll try to get some photos posted in the next few days; I have to go
back to work tomorrow, so it may not be right away.

Back to mucking out my house. G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net
Old November 4th 03, 11:14 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Next year, new luggage. Start saving up $ now.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old November 5th 03, 12:19 AM
shhdesigns

Thanks for the wonderful report Sandy. I'm sorry I didn't come down this
year, but am looking forward to my UFO quilt retreat this Friday, Saturday
and Sunday at Harrison Hot Springs as a poor substitute. Only two quilt
shops in a town about 30 minutes away from the resort.
I am looking forward to coming down next year and seeing everyone then.
Planning on taking an almost empty suitcase along. Might even pack another
suitcase inside of one like I did on my driving holiday down to Sacramento
this year. Not that I'm planning on buying a lot of stuff really!

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of Travelogues

Old November 5th 03, 12:45 AM
Sandy Foster

In article QtWpb.294814$9l5.196209@pd7tw2no,
"shhdesigns" wrote:

Thanks for the wonderful report Sandy. I'm sorry I didn't come down this
year, but am looking forward to my UFO quilt retreat this Friday, Saturday
and Sunday at Harrison Hot Springs as a poor substitute. Only two quilt
shops in a town about 30 minutes away from the resort.

Hey, it's better than nothing!

I am looking forward to coming down next year and seeing everyone then.
Planning on taking an almost empty suitcase along. Might even pack another
suitcase inside of one like I did on my driving holiday down to Sacramento
this year. Not that I'm planning on buying a lot of stuff really!

Oh, of *course* not! LOL!

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of Travelogues

Old November 5th 03, 12:46 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote:

Next year, new luggage. Start saving up $ now.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

This bag had only been used five times -- I don't consider that old. :S
The baggage handlers are just *rough*!

Old November 5th 03, 01:19 AM
nana2b

Sandy with the cost of labor a big deal for companies maybe they hired that
Gorilla from the Samsonite commercial to handle the luggage. Do you
remember that one? LOL

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old November 5th 03, 04:59 AM
BarbQuilts

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
Wow! I didn't think I could be as impressed with the show as I was last
year (my first time), but I was. It's *so* amazing.

Sounds like you had a good time Sandy. Last year was the first time I went
too, along with 10 others from my guild bee group. This year only a few
went, so I took my husband along. He likes quilts, fabric etc and buying
fabric. The biggest bundles we bought he picked out. Besides too much
fabric, I also got a little wool pillow kit, 2 side companion pieces for my
Koala cabinet which will be delivered, and some of the rusted metalwork that
I kept seeing people coming on the bus with.

I thought there was more thread, more yarns, and more purses than last year.
It is really amazing what is available there.

We had the side handle pulled out by the rivets on our suitcase. We got the
"we're not responsible for straps, handles", but they did give us a $50
certificate good for one year - probably because it was obviously ripped out
and our name tag was dragging on the floor. That same suitcase has a big
dent in one corner and it's metal reinforced. I still have one of those
older samsonsite that the gorilla could sit on, but it's soooo heavy even
empty.

BarbQuilts

Old November 5th 03, 03:41 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"nana2b" wrote:

Sandy with the cost of labor a big deal for companies maybe they hired that
Gorilla from the Samsonite commercial to handle the luggage. Do you
remember that one? LOL

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

I sure do! LOL! And I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right!