Rookie carver's first carving class.

Old September 13th 05, 12:48 AM
TomL

Default Rookie carver's first carving class.

First off, thanks for all the responses to my original post. I
appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

Today I attended my fist carving class at American Woodcarving in
Wayne, NJ. Class of 9 people all at much higher skill levels than me.
Received some 1 on 1 attention from the instructor including basic
knife sharpening and various cutting techniques. As the new guy, my
time was spent working on a rough cut basswood form of a whale, not
life size of course. I completed about half of the carving and hope to
finish up next week. In addition, I'll be receiving more detailed
sharpening instructions for the most commonly used carving tools. I'm
off to a good start.

TomL
Old September 13th 05, 06:23 PM
Wannabe

TomL wrote in news:ai4ci1p3cgc4sojgo0h9596o6casn76g1r@
4ax.com:

First off, thanks for all the responses to my original post. I
appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

Today I attended my fist carving class at American Woodcarving in
Wayne, NJ. Class of 9 people all at much higher skill levels than me.
Received some 1 on 1 attention from the instructor including basic
knife sharpening and various cutting techniques. As the new guy, my
time was spent working on a rough cut basswood form of a whale, not
life size of course. I completed about half of the carving and hope to
finish up next week. In addition, I'll be receiving more detailed
sharpening instructions for the most commonly used carving tools. I'm
off to a good start.

TomL

Hey Good for you, sounds like they are starting you off with a good
grounding in woodcarving ...be sure to keep us up to date on your
progress.

Wannabe.

Louisa Smith class led to design wall (long) Kathy Applebaum Quilting 2 March 20th 05 05:56 PM
Classes? DreamBeadr Beads 32 June 18th 04 05:10 PM
STORY - Middle School Engineering Class roxan Beads 1 June 10th 04 06:39 AM
electrum Pierdas Jewelry 4 April 25th 04 09:04 PM
OT(?) : PMC Class report (long) KDK Beads 13 August 28th 03 08:36 PM