Linda Straw

Old August 23rd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Linda Straw

I have become interested in the work of Linda Straw and found her
website http://www.linda-straw-quilts.co.uk
The site outlines a little of her technique but I wondered if anyone
knew of any further information on it?
Many thanks,
Julia

Old August 23rd 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

You might do best to contact her yourself, via the website.

She does such wonderful work - no chance I could ever draw like that!
She mentions 'stuffed applique'. Perhaps you could Google 'Machine
Trapunto'. This is where an extra layer of batting is laid underneath
the motif - or whatever - and the motif is sewn round with water soluble
thread. The extra layer is trimmed to the outside of this stitching.
Eventually the full batting is laid underneath and the motif is re-sewn
with ordinary quilting thread. The piece is submerged in water and the
soluble thread disappears. This would perhaps be something similar to
what Linda does, though I don't know.
..
In message .com,
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 23rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

I had to study her method for my City and Guilds and did a small sample in
her style.In my case I drew the design on vilene and pinned it to the back
in position. Placing the very back of the design fabric on the front(behind
when looking at the design)then stitched along the design lines with tiny
straight stitch on sm. Trimmed very close to stitches at the front and then
continued to build up the design in this way. Finally when all pieces were
in position turn it over and embellish,satin stitching or similar.I bet that
is clear as mud, but it makes sense to me.Hope it helps a bit.
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

oups.com...

Old August 25th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

On 23 Aug 2006 13:27:08 -0700, wrote:

I have become interested in the work of Linda Straw and found her
website
http://www.linda-straw-quilts.co.uk
The site outlines a little of her technique but I wondered if anyone
knew of any further information on it?
Many thanks,
Julia

She designed the Millennium Tapestry for the Madeira Thread Company

http://www.madeira.co.uk/millennium/index.html

has a description, and if you follow the link to the postcards they
are samples from the big panels.

I've seen it twice - absolutely fascinating, and so big. 200
embroiderers helped with it. I couldn't find any big pictures of it
anywhere on the web(it now is shared between two hospitals).
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

straw work romanyroamer Sewing 0 January 2nd 06 01:13 PM
Linda Straw Quilter spam blocked Quilting 5 January 4th 05 03:25 AM
Linda Straw spam blocked Quilting 1 January 2nd 05 04:17 PM
Update on Linda! Tink Beads 6 November 3rd 03 07:15 AM
Japanese straw tying/packaging DB General Crafting 2 October 12th 03 10:53 PM