Log Cabin Quilt

Old January 4th 10, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Default Log Cabin Quilt

I've never made this quilt and need some help.

I want to make a queen log cabin and don't know what size block to
make. I got a fella in mind that just built a log cabin and want to
give it to him.

any suggestions on block size and colors.

Any of you gentlemen quilters have any suggestions for me.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old January 4th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Kate, I'd probably go with 1-1/2 inch strips to make a 13-1/2 inch
finished block. As for colors, if I asked DH, he'd probably say blues or
blues and browns. I'm picturing fall colors, though - maybe a brick or
burnt orange color for the center square with off-white and gold-yellows
on the light side and dark green and browns and reds on the dark side.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old January 4th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Log Cabin Quilt, ask Leslie

Kate's got a fella, Kate's got a fella! Atta girl, good for you.
Meanwhile back to the log cabin. Just standard autumn colors is always
good for log cabins, and red + green is quite dazzling and not girly. A
little different would be marine blue, beige and ivory.
You'll want to think about technical stuff such as mattress drop and
will it be used 'just for display' or actually need to be wide/long enough
to be a comfortable quilt.
Consider carefully what you see him wear; that should give you some
clues about his preferences. (Mr. Esther *hates* brown and if you made him
a quilt with brown in it, I'm certain it would be neatly folded and put in
the top shelf of his closet.)
When you're putting your logs together, be sure to put thread on your
bobbin. Ask Leslie. Polly

"Kate T." I've never made this quilt and need some help.

Old January 4th 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

Here is a log cabin quilt I made several years ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/illini8...7602179862275/

IIRC, the blocks are 10 inches. That was a good size, big enough that
I did not need to make a million blocks but small enough that there
was some "play" in making a design.

OK, I just looked at the pattern

http://quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinBlock.html

and found that the blocks are 12 inches.

When I look at log cabin blocks, it seems that some are
disporoportionate--logs being too thick for the size of the block. It
is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. Probably also depends on
what kind of design you anticipate creating with those logs.

Have fun!

Mary

Old January 4th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

I did 12 inch blocks -- 1 1/2" unfinished strips I believe. Lots and lots
of ways to lay out the blocks for a wide variety of patterns. You can see
the one I did in my webshots albums -- Kathy's Quilts (see link below).

If you do a Google Images search (or search webshots or any other album
website) for log-cabin-quilt ... you'll get lots and lots of pictures to
give you some ideas!

Just be prepared for lots of cutting and lots of sewing. One reminder --
always be sure to square up your blocks before putting them together. With
all those seams -- actually finishing with an actual 12 1/2 inch unfinished
block that is square was rare -- at least in my experience!

--
Kate in MI

Old January 4th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I've made probably twenty log cabin tops. It's my 'go to' pattern when I
want to do a quickie top.

I use a 12 in. finished block with logs that finish at either 1 in. or 1.25
in. wide. I actually prefer the looks of a 1.25 in. finished log. I draw
out the block, figure the dimensions of each log and make a test block to
prove my measurements. Then I cut all the logs at once- cutting 8-12
thickness of fabric at a time... using a brand new rotary blade in my 45 mm
cutter, of course! First cut the strips then cut the lengths to size.
Cutting that many layers at once is not for the faint of heart and requires
concentration and lots of muscle- you do NOT want to make a mistake in
measurements nor let your rotary cutter run amok!

Some folks sew each round of the blocks to a long strip of fabric and then
cut the blocks off the strip- rather than cutting the strip of fabric into
sections for each round of logs. I don't like that long strip method
because if you get off size on something then you don't know until all the
blocks are done and they are all over the place in size. If you pre-cut the
logs and they don't fit together correctly you know some thing is wrong and
you can fix it before the error starts multiplying itself. Also, after the
first few rounds of adding logs to the block, you always add the next log on
the side where you stitch across two seams. Only ONE side of the block will
have two seams, so you cannot get confused on where to add the next log if
you keep that in mind.

I had making log cabin tops down to a science- years ago I could start with
pulling fabrics from my stash, cut, sew and assemble the queen sized top in
fourteen hours working straight thru! Polly refers to the time I was sewing
the last round of logs on 120 log cabin blocks. I finished the last log on
the last block at 4 a.m.- after working on them all day and night. I went
to fish the chained blocks out from behind the sewing machine and found out
I'd run out of bobbin thread on the second block and had 118 logs sewn to
the blocks with no bobbin thread.

I cried.....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 4th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh my goodness, how I love Leslie. So glad she's here to make your logging
easier. She's so right about: cut your strips to exact lengths so you'll
know every time that your logs are staying true and even. If you place a
strip and it's not crossing TWO seams, you're in the wrong place. Thread on
the bobbin is not optional.
Mary's log cabin tells you that you do NOT have to be limited to solids.
Prints, patterns, plaids (if you dare) are so much more interesting.
Polly

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." ...

Old January 4th 10, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 3, 5:52*pm, "Kate T." wrote:
I've never made this quilt and need some help.

I want to make a queen log cabin and don't know what size block to
make. *I got a fella in mind that just built a log cabin and want to
give it to him.

any suggestions on block size and colors.

Any of you gentlemen quilters have any suggestions for me.

Kate T. *South Mississippi

I'm certainly not the expert, I've made one log cabin. But it was
really fun,
and I thought it turned out well for a guy quilt. The blocks were
either 8 or
8.5 IIRC. I just went through and chose all the darker shades I
thought I
could get away with. They were 1.5 inch strips.
But not solids, there was prints, florals, plaids, too.
It was very scrappy. I have a pic "in progress" but don't have one of
the
finished quilt. Here's the link
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...01618540DzOwJf

My aunt has made several ofEleanor Burns' pattern, with 2.5 inch
strips. Six different
fabrics, all coordinated. They are lovely and very quick to finish.
Each one looks
different because she put the blocks together in a different way. They
are 12 inch
blocks (I think).

I am ready to do another one too. Can't decide on the fabric either!

PS, and OT: Kate, were you the one who was asking about the Seamline
marker?
Did you ever get one?

Sherry
Old January 4th 10, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 3, 5:52*pm, "Kate T." wrote:
I've never made this quilt and need some help.

I want to make a queen log cabin and don't know what size block to
make. *I got a fella in mind that just built a log cabin and want to
give it to him.

any suggestions on block size and colors.

Any of you gentlemen quilters have any suggestions for me.

Kate T. *South Mississippi

Forgot to say this: I mentioned I was ready to do another log cabin
and hadn't
picked out the fabric yet. I was actually thinking about getting kind
of wild
and crazy and using batiks. Wouldn't that be pretty?

Sherry
Old January 4th 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Oh so many responses and I hope I can answer them all. First of all
thank you all for jumping in with answers to my questions.

As fer bein' my feller, I kinda adopted him.

I was thinking of doing the 42 inch strips but Leslie I want to thank
you for saying to cut the logs to the length called for in the
pattern. Instead of fussing with the long strips I can cut one strip
the for the desired length then cut individual longs the width I
need. That way I can concentrate more on keeping the scant quarter
inch seam than fighting with several blocks sewn wrong at once.

I've been drawn to the barn raising layout since he is building a log
cabin and I could name it "cabin raising, a new beginning". And now
to the colors, Well Hum-m-m-m.

I do have some orange for the center block. Its not the zinger bright
orange nor is it burnt orange. It is from some ombre fabric I picked
up a year ago. The ombre goes from very pale orange to dark orange.

Got to go look at the patterns to see which block pattern I like.

Another question, should I press the seams open or not. Decisions,
Decisions, Decisions.

Kate T. South Mississippi where it is 29 degrees and getting COLDER.

Velveteen Log Cabin Quilt glinfoot Quilting 2 November 22nd 08 05:20 PM
New Log Cabin Quilt John Quilting 137 February 27th 07 02:45 PM
Quilt pc Log Cabin Embroidery with quilting behind it joan Marketplace 0 May 31st 04 04:55 PM
FS Log Cabin Quilt Blocks Barb Marketplace 0 January 15th 04 08:09 PM
FS Log Cabin Quilt Blocks Barb Marketplace 0 January 15th 04 08:09 PM