knee replacement help

Old September 21st 05, 02:45 PM
pami

Default knee replacement help

Okay...I want everybody to be honest. I just had knee surgery and it wasn't
a replacement but I am not healing well at all. I had a torn Menicus as
well as Arthitis with Chondromalcia.. I still can't put full weight on my
left leg and still in pain on Percocet after 3 weeks to the date. My doctor
told me it was bad when he went in to repair the grade 3 tear. I know my
next option is a knee replacement and I am only 50. Tomorrow I will see the
doctor again and I have to be upfront. I think his surgery failed and I am
not getting better but worse.

Please let me know if any of you have head a knee replacement and what am I
up against. I would hope to feel better than I do now. I can't live in this
bone on bone pain. I am sitting down now....comfortable but when I go to
get up...I can't even bear weight on the left leg and my right leg is so
tired. I have a walker as well as a cane but miss walking using both feet!
I have that cyro-cuff I borrowed form my neighbor who had surgery. The ice
helps some. My doctor hasn't ordered me any physical therapy as of yet. I
do have a hot tub on my deck that I can't get in yet. My husband ordered
the steps for it. After 3 weeks+ of pain I am feeling hopeless and wonder
if the replacement would be the answer? How long does a replacement last?

I did receive some fabric in the mail the other day and I wanted so much to
get my rotary cutter out and cut but couldn't stand long enough so for now I
will just build my stash.

Pami

Old September 21st 05, 02:52 PM
KJ

No ideas on the replacement front, but I want to send you my best wishes for
some healing and pain management. Pain can do funny things to your brain
and outlook on life. Let the doctor decide how you're doing. Your
situation might take longer to resolve. Hang in there.

Old September 21st 05, 03:34 PM
Sherry Starr

I am going through knee problems myself. I have had arthroscopic surgery on
both knees in the last 15-20 years. The last surgery on my right knee was
because I had a torn Meniscus and arthrtitis. I had very little problem
with that surgery, but the surgery on my left knee was bad. I was still on
crutches 3 months after surgery. Everyone heals differently. Talk to your
surgeon. I know that 3 weeks seems like a long time, but it really isn't.
My orthopedic surgeon is now trying the hyaluronic acid injections in each
knee every week for 5 weeks. This is a natural substance in your body that
helps lubricate joints. If this doesn't work, then I will have both knees
replaced. I had my third injections yesterday, and I can't tell any
difference, but he said he can feel a difference. I am 58, and I know they
always want to wait as long as they can before the do the knee replacements.
Please feel free to email me off group if you have any questions.

Sherry Starr

Old September 21st 05, 04:16 PM
Denise Jameson

I have had EXACTLY that same surgery Pami (torn meniscus and really
bad arthritis - where the surgeon 'scraped' clean and smoothed out the
rough spots on those bones), approx. 5 years ago now and I too thought
the surgery had failed. I was also told that I was a canditate for
knee replacement (in the future), and I was 53 at the time of the
surgery.

Do be patient; I have to admit the pain VERY slowly subsided.....and
it took about six months!!! but it feels fine now. I find it quite
strange that your doctor didn't recommend physio therapy for you
immediately following the surgery. Mine did...(three times a week,
for six weeks).

I don't know if it helps or not....but I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin
and have for many years even before this knee problem. It is supposed
to help rebuild the cartilage that wears away. For me to know if it
works or not, I'd have to stop taking it...and I don't wanna do that.
The knee feels good now and I want to keep it that way.

Hang in there.....and I know it's hard to be patient when you're in
pain, but carry on with your pain meds and expect pain for quite some
time yet. :-( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it will get
better in time. I know...it's never soon enough! ;-)

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old September 21st 05, 04:38 PM
Pat in Virginia

Pami:
Ohh .... gentle hugs for you. I have not had knee surgery of any
type, but have several family/friends who have had the
replacement. My observation: it hurts lots, but the ones who
persevered with the PT and the recommendations for 'homework' are
the ones who had the most success. One woman did NOT follow up as
directed and still is a tad unsteady after 9 years, as compared
to the others. So, what ever the surgery, I urge the patient
follow up on the PT. I must say it gladdens me to know you are
willing to make the sacrifice to build the stash.
PAT in VA/USA

pami wrote:

Okay...I want everybody to be honest. I just had knee surgery and it wasn't
a replacement but I am not healing well at all. ....cut... After 3 weeks+ of pain I am feeling hopeless and wonder

Old September 21st 05, 06:12 PM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I had a hip replacement three years ago at age 52. The ortho docs made
me walk/limp around bone on bone with fractures and cysts for 6 years
eating NSAIDS and pain meds which damaged my kidneys (papillary
necrosis). All because I was "too young" for a hip replacement when
originally diagnosed at age 45. Phooey on that! If you need the
replacement then "just do it" would be my suggestion. I'd rather face
another replacement when this one wears out than waste years of my life
limping around in pain.... like that six #$%@& miserable years.

Just my not so humble opinion..... ;-)))))

Best wishes and good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Hugs,

Leslie

Old September 21st 05, 06:43 PM
Louise

Pami,

DH had both knees replaced earlier this year and is delighted with the
results. I believe they told him they would be "good" for up to 15 years. I
echo what Pat said, though. The follow-up physical therapy is the key to
success. It was torture at times, but we knew of a couple of people who had
not stuck to it and were no better off today than they were before the
surgery. Less than three months after the second replacement, DH was playing
golf again, and by June or July, he was walking the course rather than
riding in a cart.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old September 21st 05, 10:11 PM
Sherry Starr

I agree about the physical therapy. I had 6 weeks after each surgery. Try
to keep your spirits up. I know how it is to be in pain. My stomach can't
handle any NSAID's or pain medication. I do good to take 200MG of Ibuprofen
twice a day for 2 or 3 days without stomach problems. I'm at the point
where I would welcome knee replacements. Please let us know what he says
tomorrow.

Sherry Starr

Old September 22nd 05, 02:33 AM
Patti S

Pami
I had a bad skiing accident in my early 20's and seriously blew out my
knee. I hobbled around on it for years. In my 40's, the pain was
unbearable and they kept telling me the same thing too - that I was too
young. I had 3 surgeries on it before they finally replaced my knee when
I was 48. I'll be honest with you and tell you it wasn't the most
pleasant experience I've ever had, but..... I've not felt this good in
decades! The physical therapy is crucial. Mr Dr. told me I would only
get out of it what I put into it... so I was religious about the therapy
- going above and beyond what was required. I'm so glad to have a
"normal", pain-free knee now. My quality of life changed 100%. Best of
luck in whatever you choose to do.

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

Old September 22nd 05, 03:46 AM
Carolyn McCarty

I personally have never had knee replacement, but my second husband did.
After the surgery he was on a morphine drip for a couple of days and after
the drip was discontinued he never used anything stronger than Advil. The
post-surgery pain he experienced was far, far less than what he had been
enduring for years. Granted, he was a guy and he was tough. Still........I
think his experience was pretty typical. The big thing to remember (well,
at least it was in the early 1990s) is that the replacement is not forever,
they last 10 to 20 years. You cannot spend a lot of time kneeling, and you
must limit the time you spend climbing ladders, etc. as certain activities
will make the artificial knee deteriorate faster. That said, things have
changed and you should really look into it. Real life is so much better
than pain! Just ask my 2nd DH.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green