microwave kilns?

Old April 9th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Larry[_2_]

Default microwave kilns?

Hello all,

I've seen an ad for a kiln which goes in the microwave to fuse small
glass objects. has anyone tried one? Any issues, problems? Is it
practical?

I wish to fuse belt buckles and the medium one may fit my needs.....

thanks in advance,
Larry
Old April 9th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Apr 8, 5:54*pm, Larry wrote:
Hello all,

I've seen an ad for a kiln which goes in the microwave to fuse small
glass objects. *has anyone tried one? *Any issues, problems? *Is it
practical?

I wish to fuse belt buckles and the medium one may fit my needs.....

thanks in advance,
Larry

You need a dedicated microwave to do this. Also, wattage varies from
one Micro to the next. If you could afford even a small jewelry kiln
you'll be ahead of the game with much better results.
Old May 10th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jerry

I have the medium sized Paragon Microwave kiln, and for small projects I
love it. The instructions that come with it are excellent, the biggest
issue is the power of the microwave, this will determine how long you
need to run at full power for fusing. Mine is 1200 watts, I run 2
minutes at 50% power to warm everything up, then 4 minutes at full power
to fuse. Let it cool for at least 45 minutes. I leave the micro kiln
in the microwave to cool, but have finally gotten some gloves so I can
take it out while it is hot. I put frit in the open spaces to make frit
balls.

Microwave Kilns nJb[_2_] Glass 7 June 18th 08 12:18 AM
OT Microwave ovens Karen C in California Needlework 1 September 26th 07 11:10 PM
Poll: curing polymer clay in the microwave? Ferfal Polymer Clay 11 October 19th 06 07:50 PM
Microwave pot holders & 'Hi again' RMcC Quilting 2 October 16th 03 08:38 PM
microwave drying services Dirk General Crafting 0 July 9th 03 12:12 PM