Jewelry Classes/Workshops in Salida, CO.

Old January 26th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Jewelry Classes/Workshops in Salida, CO.

Hi fellow metalsmiths/Jewelers,

The Colorado School of Jewelry and Metal Arts is pleased to announce
its Winter/Spring Schedule of classes. All Classes will be held in my
studio,
Jerry Scavezze-Goldsmith, in Salida, CO.
Salida is located 3 hours southwest of Denver, at 7,000 feet high in
the Colorado Mountains.
A great place for a weekend getaway or short vacation. My contact info
is at bottom, keep scrolling.

Call or email for more info. Jerry Scavezze

Beginners Introduction to Jewelry (3 days)
Basic Stone Setting for Jewelers; (4 days)
Anticlastic Raising; (3 days)
Tom Herman 5 day workshop. July 7-11

Beginners Introduction to Jewelry;

We recommend this class for people new to silver/goldsmithing and/or
those wanting a refresher course on the basics. This is also a great
class for people just curious about "how its made" or wanting to
increase their working knowledge of Jewelry.
Instructor Jessica Kidd
Dates Feb 16,17,18
Location Scavezze Studios in Salida CO.
Class is limited to 10 Students max.
Cost for 24 hr (3 days) workshop is $275.00

Want to make eautiful, wearable works of art? In a 3-day intensive
seminar, the beginning techniques of silversmithing are taught to help
students create jewelry or 3-dimensional sculpture. Learn to use
jeweler's tools to saw, stamp, shape and join metals. Piercing,
Soldering, forging techniques and bezel setting stones will be taught.
Also covered will be finishing techniques and tools necessary. A
variety of metals will be utilized in this class. The skills you
learn in this workshop will enable you to continue creating jewelry on
your own, at home. Each student will create four to five pieces to
take home, including a ring, earrings, pendant, bracelet, and link
necklace.

Jessica Kidd has been teaching silversmithing at the Glenwood Springs
Center for the Arts for four years, and practicing her art for seven.
She took her first silversmithing class at the Center for the Arts and
fell in love with the creation of wearable art. Largely self-
educated, she has refined her skills by taking many workshops with
master craftsmen, including legendary locals Jerry Scavezze and Harold
O'Connor. Facilitating her students' ability to turn their newfound
skills into a profitable venture is her primary focus.

Jessica Kidd:
A gem of a personality, this teacher definitely shines as a
craftsperson and artist. She has been our full time Silversmithing
instructor for four years and we love watching her students turn out
contemporary, original pieces... even after their first semester. Her
sense of humor is a wonderful asset as she teaches people to hammer,
cut, melt, polish, and twist silver into amazing creations. This
instructor doesn't "Kidd" around when it comes to serious jewelry
design. She has a whimsical side to her designs, as she pleats silver,
winds it into graceful curves and coils. Her designs are stunning.

Written by Glenwood Springs Center for the Arts.

Materials fee $50-$65 subject to silver prices

Tools to bring, or we can supply new ones to purchase, use and then
take home. Let us know when registering.
Tool cost will be $125.00

4" Sawframe
Set of atleast 3 pliers, Round, Chain, Flat nose
Needle Files set of 6 to 12 basic shapes, cut #2
Blades 4/0 Laser Gold if possible from Rio Grande. (or your favorite)
Bench Pin Anvil Combination
Bezel roller/prong pusher
Planishing hammer (Optional) We will have some to use. Not included in
tool set.
6" #4 cut file
Sanding sticks 4/0

Basic Stone Setting For Jewelers

This class is for anyone wanting to know how to add the sparkle of
gemstones to their work. Christine has been teaching stone setting and
jewelry since 1977.

Instructor Christine Grininger
Dates March 1-4
Location Scavezze Studios in Salida, CO.
Class is limited to 10 students
Cost for 4 day (32 hour) workshop is $375.00

Christine will cover basic prong settings, tube settings, bezel
settings, and flat or flush settings. The class will be directed in
part by the students and their needs, and the types of settings they
want to learn. Christine's teaching rationale reflects a combination
of demonstrations, discussion and encouragement along with class
projects that she has developed. Questions are welcome, "The is no
such thing as a dumb question". She works side by side with the
students to provide guidance and support.

Materials cost is $50.00-$75.00 dollars
email for toolist and approx. cost or bring your favorites.

Beginning Anticlastic Raising for Metalsmiths

Instructor Jerry Scavezze
Dates May 18,19,20
Location Scavezze Studios in Salida, CO.
Class is limited to 10 students
Cost for 3 day (24 hour) workshop is $300.00

Hi, I'm Jerry Scavezze, a goldsmith known nationally for anticlastic
raising. I have been doing the process for 17 years and have studied
with both Heikki Seppa and Michael Good. My website is
www.scavezzegoldsmith.com if you would like to look at my work.

Jerry Scavezze, Anticlastic Raising, May 18-20. Bring earplugs, and
your favorite crosspeen hammers and hand tools.
There will be some slides, some talk on process and technique, but
mostly banging on metal with hammers. We will cover the making of
spiculums, the concept of trading one curve for another, and various
beginning concepts. Students will leave with enough knowledge and
understanding of the concept to go back to their studio and actually
make something. Students will learn to make hoop earrings and a
bracelet. Its going to be fun. Email for
details and things to bring. With $16.00/oz silver and $900/oz gold
this class is particularly relevant because anticlastic pieces are
very lightweight. Cost is $300.00

Materials cost is $50.00-$75.00
We will have tools available for purchase or bring yours if you have
them.

Our most advanced workshop is by Tom Herman, goldsmith extraordinaire.
The workshop will take place in Salida, CO. a gorgeous little town in
the mountains of Colorado. The class will be taught Mon-Fri, July
7-11, 2008, in the studio of Jerry Scavezze. The class fee for Tom
Herman's Class is $600.00. There will be a small materials fee for
each class. Tool list will be mailed upon registration.

Tom Herman 5 day workshop. July 7-11

Class Description:
A workshop on chasing, engraving, and piercing metal.
In this workshop we'll make chasing tools , tune up hammers and
sharpen gravers, all the better to carve with.

Using Bas Relief techniques we'll sculpt metal into ornamental
patterns.
Students should come with clear ideas of what they want to achieve and
how these techniques will enhance their own work. They're encouraged
to bring pieces of their own work (castings, blank bands, and stones).
We'll lay out patterns on a band with tracing punches that they will
make. Then drill and saw pierce, and with gravers we will shape the
ornament. Then with texturing punches we'll shape and define the
ornament.
Students are encouraged to practice saw piercing by cutting out coins
(at least 3).
We will be making the series of chasing punches that will get you
started on being able to create any ornament.
Practice drawing the kind of ornament you want to carve,the more you
understand a pattern the better you can sculpt it.
Tom's website is www.sevenfingers.com/ if you want to see his work.
(The images on his website do not do the work justice, it is
remarkable.)

email for more info, or with questions. We
take all the major credit cards. Hope to see you this spring. Jerry
Scavezze

Scavezze Goldsmith
115 North G Street
Salida, CO. 81201