machine quilting not "real" quilting?

Old June 6th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

Default machine quilting not "real" quilting?

How do I respond to someone who says that
machine piecing and machine quilting is
not "real" quilting? He said today that
his grandma even hand beats the cotton to
do whatever... I asked if he chops his own
wood or if he buys a cord and he admitted
that he bought it. Then I asked if his
grandma spun her own thread and he admitted
that she uses store-bought thread.

Blah blah blah. I need a concise and good
rebuttal! He was not into hearing about
the history of quilting.

-- Anita --
Old June 6th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Oh good grief. I don't think it's worth responding to at all. What that guy
needs is a shock collar. You just give him a jolt or two and he becomes
sensible or at least nicer. Of course you can bake cornbread on a wood
fire. Of course you can clean clothes by boiling them in a big black pot
out back. You can stop bleeding by covering the wound with a wad of spider
web. So?
I am a great grandma and I'll take every advantage I can buy or learn.
Well. Except for digital cameras. OTOH, if his granny wants to beat
cotton, cheer her on. If it makes her happy, we wouldn't want to deprive
her of that.
There. I feel much better. Polly

link.net...

Old June 6th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

I thought of several responses but all seemed to sink lower than the person
making the original comment so instead of having a smart comeback, ask to
see that person's most recent quilt or just say "to each his own"

--
Mary
:

Old June 6th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA \(state\)

Oh, for goodness sakes. Quilting is quilting. He just doesn't know stuff
from shinola. I agree with Polly. Any response is just silly.
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply

Old June 6th 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I don't have the book handy to quote it exactly, but Harriet Hargrave says
something like "it's hand quilting with an electric needle". It requires a
great deal of skill to machine quilt- it 'might' be faster than hand
quilting. The heck with him. Any skill which is done well is to be
admired. And 'real' quilting is the process of attaching the three layers
of the sandwich together. So..... :-P~~~~

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 6th 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

And it's been done as long as there have been sewing machines. BG
That is well over a hundred years. Long enough to have stood the test
of time, in my opinion anyway.

Pati, in Phx

Old June 6th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Hi

I always liked my late Dad's response to his customer's in the barbershop
when they thought less of my Mom's quilting or the cost of her sewing
machine.

On the first, he always said, "It's no different than me cutting wood apart
and nailing it back together."

On the second, he could often lean over and look out the barbershop door and
say, "So, just how much did those two snowmachines of yours cost and you can
only use them three months of the year. She can use her machine 365 days a
year if she wants."

That man is just a moron that is too narrow minded to learn something new.
Quilting methods and tools have evolved over the years just like woodworking
tools, mechanical tools and the like. Just shrug your shoulders and smile.
You know different.

Steve
Alaska

Old June 6th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Is this Neanderthal really somebody you have to talk to?

Sunny

Old June 6th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita

Even in his grandma's day, women loved the sewing machine to piece!!! As a
professional quilter, I've won many a competition with machine quilting.
There was even one MAJOR contest where they stated no machine quilting. I
just received my new Pfaff (about 14 years ago) and it did so many fancy
stitches, I made a crazy quilt and just for the fun of it, entered it. To
my surprise, it won 3rd place. It's on my site under small art quilts and
called a "1993 Crazy"

--
Rita
http://ritasquilts.com

Old June 6th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:08:49 GMT, Irrational Number
wrote:

How do I respond to someone who says that
machine piecing and machine quilting is
not "real" quilting? He said today that
his grandma even hand beats the cotton to
do whatever... I asked if he chops his own
wood or if he buys a cord and he admitted
that he bought it. Then I asked if his
grandma spun her own thread and he admitted
that she uses store-bought thread.

Blah blah blah. I need a concise and good
rebuttal! He was not into hearing about
the history of quilting.

-- Anita --

Just be glad you'll never have to give him a quilt! Does he have
one of his grandmother's prizes?

-- Jo in Scotland