Name that fleece

Old May 8th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Name that fleece

Looks to me like the seller didn't know the difference between merino
and mohair. How does it feel?

Very soft and smooth. It's the smoothness that makes me wonder if it
isn't sheep. This stuff is very smooth, almost like silk smoothness.

(Having now written "smooth" a number of times I've noticed how odd a
word it is. One of those ones you start to wonder if you've spelt
right when you see it repeatedly.)

VP

Old May 9th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I think it looks like Cotswold, also known as, "Poor man's mohair" because
it does look like mohair. Also, the Cotswold is one of the smoothest and
most lustrous of the wools.

See http://www.nistockfarms.com/handspin...eece-wool.html

Aaron

ps.com...

Old May 9th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 9, 11:42 am, wrote:
I think it looks like Cotswold, also known as, "Poor man's mohair" because
it does look like mohair. Also, the Cotswold is one of the smoothest and
most lustrous of the wools.

Seehttp://www.nistockfarms.com/handspinning-fleece-wool.html

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. Those samples seem to have more crimp than mine (though
I realise none of those pictures are straight Cotswold). But you are
right, a strong contender.

Hmm, maybe I should give up trying to find a deifinitive
identification and just roll with "nice fleece". Now I must ask myself
what should I make with said "nice fleece"? And then work out what
type of yarn I shall spin from it.

VP

Old May 10th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article .com,
Vintage Purls wrote:

Hmm, maybe I should give up trying to find a deifinitive
identification and just roll with "nice fleece". Now I must ask myself
what should I make with said "nice fleece"? And then work out what
type of yarn I shall spin from it.

I'm not a spinner, but I have heard/read that some wools are very odd,
they don't shrink, they don't felt, etc - maybe you want to spin a
small swatch and test the yarn for shrinkage, bloom, etc,

=Tamar

fleece as batting? Sara Lorimer Quilting 9 December 27th 05 05:33 AM
OT-ish: Fleece help Brenda Needlework 14 November 18th 04 04:57 PM
Sewing Fleece... KR Sewing 8 August 29th 04 03:20 PM
Needlepunch fleece Michele Sewell Sewing 2 July 22nd 03 12:13 AM
Romney Fleece Roberta Marketplace 0 July 21st 03 08:25 PM